Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triangles to quads??
05-14-2009, 12:19 PM,
Triangles to quads??
Hello there!!

I know that there is such script in Blender, but i work in 3ds max and maya and im just in a deadlock - because its rather difficult to work with those triangular meshes from Oblivion. i found nothing over the net unfortunately, may be you guys can help me???
may be there is some magic button "hide triangle poly" or somth??)
05-14-2009, 12:41 PM,

Take a look at this thread. Seems to be exactly what you want. Smile

I can't really understand the desire for quads over tris myself though - I always make sure that the 'Edges Only' box is unchecked on the display tab in Max for every mesh I make so I can see all of the triangles.
05-14-2009, 12:54 PM,

There's also a quadrangulate button in Maya (Polygons -> Quadrangulate) but I don't think it works very well. Its option box allows you to change the angle threshold if need be.
06-21-2009, 12:00 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
Take a look at this thread. Seems to be exactly what you want. Smile

I can't really understand the desire for quads over tris myself though - I always make sure that the 'Edges Only' box is unchecked on the display tab in Max for every mesh I make so I can see all of the triangles.

Man I haven't posted here for ages. Basically, most people work in quads to ensure correct deformation. It's not really necessary for static meshes obviously, but it's easier to UV map I find so even if you're not intending to animate something, it has its uses.

Mind you, it may have some use in games that I don't know about (as I'm not familiar with modelling for games), but I can't really think of any good reasons to use tris and don't know anyone who does use them.
'Archzz' on Oblivion:
"Lots of you ppl are lucky ur comp runs it.... mine says sumthing about registering online and my ip address....i took it back"
07-04-2009, 02:17 PM,

from a modeling point of view quads are prefered over triangles. most selection tool do not work well on triangles. edgeloops mean little on a mess of triangles. cuts and extrusions create all manor of verts and weird edge flow.

from a texturing point of view they are also prefered. Quads subdived perfectly. When creating a high poly, organic sculpting or champhering edges for a hard edged object, anything really, triangles can make this step impossible without having to do a retopo. which is usually cool for the finished models edgeflow, but is tedtious and it can just be hard on the brain to solve the edge flow on some meshes.

I find it easier to rig with quads aswell, the selection tools again. plus the mesh is easier on the eyes, and I can just follow it better.

really there are no advantages to triangles at all.
AM NOT A TEXTURER
07-05-2009, 12:02 PM,

I've found that enabling triangle view on the display panel makes it easy to spot cases where faces/vertices don't meet up when the edge display (F4) is active. I try to do it on all new models before I feel finished with them just to ensure there won't be any gaps.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]