Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble with DDS Converter 2.1
12-24-2010, 10:07 AM,
Trouble with DDS Converter 2.1
I was wondering if anyone else has managed to get DDS Converter 2.1 working on Windows 7? It's freeware capable of batch-converting .DDS files to/from a variety of formats (including JPEG, PNG, and BMP). It's incredibly useful for various aspects of modding and modeling in general, and I used it quite often on my Windows XP machine. Smile Right now I'm trying to make a map of Soluthis by converting the Construction Set's own generated DDS screenshots (through local maps) and converting them to PNG.

The problem is that after I install the program and run it, I can't select any files. They show up in the browser screen, but the program neither generates a preview or allows me to click on the "Convert" button. Does anyone have any ideas? Or suggestions as to an alternative program?

I've tried running Compatibilty mode with Windows XP (both Service Packs 2 & 3), and running as an administrator, but that doesn't change anything.

If you don't have it but you're curious, you can download the installer for DDS Converter 2.1 here.
12-24-2010, 10:12 AM,
RE: Trouble with DDS Converter 2.1
Nope, it neither works for Vista which is a pity.

However I didn't check every option for Windows 7.

I could convert the dds files on my older XP comp, just send a PM and tell me what to do.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
12-24-2010, 10:21 AM,
RE: Trouble with DDS Converter 2.1
I had this problem too. You need to navigate to the folder where the file you want to convert is, and then start to type it's name into the "image file list" box. Then click on the button with a full stop and a forward slash in it, and you should be able to convert the image Smile
12-24-2010, 10:31 AM,

sandor: Thanks, I might just need to take you up on that.

Zadama: I tried it, and it worked! Big Grin Thank you, that's really useful to know!

Do you know if there's any way I can extend that to do batch conversions as well (like 100+ files)?
12-24-2010, 10:42 AM,

I'm not too sure - I've never had to batch convert before, sorry Sad
12-24-2010, 10:45 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Zadama
I'm not too sure - I've never had to batch convert before, sorry Sad
That's okay, no worries. Smile I'm sure a lot of people would still be very happy to hear that it can work in Vista/Windows 7. :goodjob:
12-24-2010, 10:47 AM,

Yes! Smile

Thank you very much Zadama.
When I was strying to make an overview map for VH I was having some issues with this program on Windows 7.
12-24-2010, 11:22 AM,

@TID
I copying the converted files to dropbox right now. Smile

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
12-24-2010, 11:41 AM,

Thanks! I'm putting the map together now, should be ready [strike]tomorrow[/strike] today. Big Grin
12-24-2010, 11:43 AM,

Great! Smile

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD