Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubles with my external harddrive
04-03-2009, 04:29 PM,
Troubles with my external harddrive
I just bought a "Western Digital MyBook Essential" external harddrive, the 1Tb model. I'm eager to backup all my stuff and free up space on my computer Big Grin

However I made a mistake when I hooked it up. I hooked it up while my computer was in sleep mode. I saw it activate, but then when I woke my computer nothing happened. The drive sits there quietly as if it's turned off, and my computer won't recognize that it's plugged in. Later on I realized that the first time you hook up the drive it runs an installation program to install itself, and because I hooked it up when my computer was in sleep mode, naturally this installation process didn't carry through. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, I tried restarting my computer, but - nothing.

Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of problem and can tell me how to activate the drive? I found an online manual which I think says I should "Go to Start, My Computer, and double-click Setup.exe." What the heck does that mean? There's no option called My Computer on my Start menu.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
04-03-2009, 05:33 PM,
RE: Troubles with my external harddrive
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
...which I think says I should "Go to Start, My Computer, and double-click Setup.exe." What the heck does that mean? There's no option called My Computer on my Start menu.
It means the drive should be visible in the "computer" window.
It's normally accessible on your desktop (computer) as well, showing the drives of your system. Let's assume you have only a "C" drive, the new drive should be "D".

Double-click on the drive and look for the exe.
To be sure, restart your comp or disconnect/connect the drive.

My external drive is visible with or without the software from the manufacturer.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
04-03-2009, 06:10 PM,
Aha, I see Smile Unfortunately there isn't a new icon in my computer window.

I tried the Add Hardware tool on the control panel as well, but my system couldn't find the drive that way either.

It's completely quiet and shows no other signs of activity, so my guess is it has shut itself down. It doesn't react to me unplugging/replugging the power chord.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
04-03-2009, 06:18 PM,
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
It's completely quiet and shows no other signs of activity, so my guess is it has shut itself down. It doesn't react to me unplugging/replugging the power chord.
Normally an USB device should be noticed by the computer even when in stand by modus.

Did you try other USB ports?
Sometimes not every port has been connected to the main board.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
04-03-2009, 08:03 PM,
True, I never had any problems with other plug-&-play hardware.

I tried a couple ports. I had a working hardware piece before in the usb port it's currently plugged into. It's weird. I'll call the company I bought it from tomorrow morning Smile
Angel mired in filth
04-16-2009, 07:55 PM,

I contacted the company who sold it to me last week and they said it must be faulty, so they asked me to send it in. I did, and they got back to me and said the power chord was broken. (Apparantly it must have failed shortly after I plugged it in.) They sent it back to me with a new power chord, and et voila my drive is working perfectly now. Smile
Angel mired in filth
04-16-2009, 10:13 PM,

That is good news RW I am glad to hear it. Smile