Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voice Acting
04-02-2006, 02:35 PM,

I definately liked the cracked voices of Morrowind much better as well.

Edgefilm: Do you know where I can get the gravel filter? It's a plugin for Sound Forge right? Don't worry about uploading it yourself, I went ahead and did it earlier.

Uploaded-
One, two, three, four, and five.
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
04-02-2006, 03:23 PM,

Thanks, they were a lot of fun to listen to and I'm sure you'll do great things in the voice department. Smile

I think the accents might do more harm than good though, particularly if they can be tied to a specific real-world culture like Brooklyn, NY. I'm not saying you do the accents bad - they're spot-on - just that in my opinion there shouldn't be much accents in the voices of Tamrelic races. Except for a few specific cases.

In my humble opinion:
- Bosmer males sound whiny. Bosmer females sound mellow and friendly.
- Altmer sound arrogant and condescending with a hint of British accent.
- Nords have a slight Scottish accent.
- Argonians have a very distinct pattern to their voices, in my ears sounding like an immigrant to the US from some undefined East European country, and they accentuate words the wrong way.
- Khajiits have a hissing sound to their voices and seem to accentuate words even more wrong than Argonians.
- Imperials, always the measurement of normality, sound just like normal Americans people.
- Bretons remind of Imperials but sound more refined and cultured, like Niles on the Frasier show.
- Orcs have very deep voices and because of their teeth, sound like they have something in their mouth.
- Redguards... well I wager we'd need black voice workers to make them sound convincing. I've never heard of a white guy able to twist his voice to sound like a black guy.
- Dunmer have that deep, cracked voice we all know.

Also there is a static noise in the background of your audio files which shouldn't be there.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
04-02-2006, 04:16 PM,

I'm not sure if the orcs actually sound like they have something in their mouths. It makes since and it should sound like that, but I don't think
Bethesda actually made it that way. I'd laugh if they had.

Judging from the sound of your voice, if you could pull off an orc I'd be amazed.

RW: The files are meant only samples, so he didn't do anything about the bg noises.
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
04-02-2006, 04:24 PM,

Ooo, these are pretty cool. I like the russian one alot, though I have no idea how we could use it. A blackmarket merchant perhaps? Big Grin
04-03-2006, 02:00 AM,

Hehe, yeah most of the specific accents are just to show a range of characters. For me, in voice acting, characters are the most important, case and point one of the main problems with the Oblivion voices being repeptetive is nothat they necessarily sound the same, but they are all the same character.

I have a feeling i would be a lot better for specific characters than random banter. There are many different accents used in Oblivion. All of the english-type accents are used except australian and i do remember one or two specific characters with Brooklyn-esque accents, just to make them stand out from the crowd. I would love to see some orcs with cockney accents, the deep american has always bothered me with them simply because i used to be into warhammer and those orcs are all cockney.

Also, I have no idea where to get any gravel filters. I am not a sound editor, just a voice actor, so i basically make the raw sound that you can then play around with. I don't use any filters simply because its not my vision and a sound mixer needs to have full reign over things like that.
There's No Kill Like Overkill