Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voice Actor
07-27-2006, 01:22 AM,
Voice Actor
Hello. I came across this ambitious project on the Oblivion forums, and I would like to help.

I have the vocal talent to do the following accents, however not languages: Russian, German(ish), Chinese, and some Mexican (Based on my friends', however), I can do Arabic and Indian at times.

As well, I can do certain voices, specifically the character Snake from the Metal Gear Solid video game series. However, I cannot guarantee the quality of the recording. I imagine the "hum" of my computer in the background can be edited out, and my voice should be able to be made louder if needed through editting, as well.

Thank you, and I hope one day to wander all of the continent.

Honnou

-EDIT
Ahh, and I forgot. If the developers would like samples, simply provide an e-Mail address, any phrase(s) you'd like to hear, and any accent(s) so that I may send them to you.
07-27-2006, 01:35 AM,
RE: Voice Actor
Welcome to the Beyond Cyrodiil Community! :jump:

A suggestion to help clean up the background sounds in your recordings, try pulling a sock over your mic and going into a closet. I've heard this is supposed to help a lot.
07-27-2006, 01:37 AM,

I'm afraid I don't own a closet. And even if I did, my microphone happens to be wired. I can pull it a foot or two further from the computer, but I'm afraid that's all.
07-27-2006, 01:45 AM,
RE: Voice Actor
Quote:Originally posted by Siegfried
Welcome to the Beyond Cyrodiil Community! :jump:

A suggestion to help clean up the background sounds in your recordings, try pulling a sock over your mic and going into a closet. I've heard this is supposed to help a lot.

Oh? I'll try that, I think it will help with the muffling anyway. Welcome, Honnou! Big Grin
07-27-2006, 01:51 AM,

Thank you for the welcomes, my friends.

-EDIT
Oh, and I forgot, I can do an Italian mobster accent, but that is more "just for fun" than anything.
07-27-2006, 05:03 AM,

A pantyhose works too. For some reason, a low-tech solution like that seem to break up the soundwave caused by air coming out of one's mouth.

I would humbly suggest making a mod with an empty house and an NPC, making the NPC speak a dialogue line or two you created, supplying the cell ID so folks can coc to it, and upload the whole shebang on http://www.filefront.com. Because something like that answers a lot of questions right away, such as that you can record dialogue lines in the CS, how your voice sounds like, and the technical quality of your recording.

Real-world accents don't go to well with fictional worlds like Elder Scrolls, unless it's scottish/nordic, which Nord voices are often spoken in. Tone makes a big difference though; high elves sound arrogant, wood elf males sound whiny, Imperials sound commanding and formal, and so on. But perhaps more interesting is the range of characters you can portray. An aggressive warrior? A mysterious sorcerer? A stern Legionnaire? A vile thief? Etc.

Don't quote me on this but I would imagine background hum noise is caused by electrical devices. Try turning off all the appliances in the vicinity of the microphone, and perhaps even put a blanket or similar over your computer and/or monitor. Not too long though, hehe, could be a firehazard if left like that permanently. Then again if you can edit out the noise instead through software that might be a more pragmatic solution.

Special microphone device for computers are really cheap, though, more cheap than you'd think. I got a good one for about ten dollars and it doesn't record much hum or other noise and the tech quality is rather good, I think. I sure wish it had a button though because I have to crawl under the desk and plug it in everytime I want to turn it on. If you have Reich Parkeep it should be in:
sound\voice\Reich_Parkeep.esp\Nord\M\StRPGeneral_GREETING_0000230E_1.mp3

If you'd like a script, I have an idea for one: One of the sermons of Vivec. I have a Dunmer Temple cleric on top of the Velothi Temple in Soluthis I've been mulling over what to do with. He already have worship benches set up plus a lecturn, so I should have no trouble modding him to recite a sermon now and then. 'Course, it'd involve a bit of CS work on your end, in the sense of entering the text as dialogue lines for the character (I should take care of modding him to give the sermon). But in case you should be interested, that's an idea. =)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-27-2006, 05:44 AM,

Hmm, well, I have a couple of problems with what you suggested.

1: I have about...zero knowledge of using the CS. The most I've been able to do is add a Class and a weapon (Although I have NO item how to place any weapons I add....). I can never understand any tutorials on it, either, they require a base knowledge of how to do that kinda stuff.

2: I don't believe I have the means to turn a .wav into a .mp3 with me at the moment (I might somewhere in the Creative Soundblaster tools, however), and the same with getting rid of the electrical hum of my computer. A sock or section of pantyhose MAY work. My microphone itself is fairly good, I can pick up the noise of the train far in the background (The tracks are roughly 1000 feet from me).

I can, most likely, mimic Dunmer speech patterns if I find a male Dunmer and study him for a little bit in Oblivion. What I mostly need to find is a key phrase which would use the accent best (For example: to get into the Sold Snake voice, I need to say "Metal Gear?!" over and over until I fit into it, then I can control it).

So yes, I can probably do this priest's sermon, I just need the script for it. But I guarantee I wouldn't be able to put it into a section of game. I can maybe do better quality, and .mp3, but with my lack of CS knowledge, I cannot actually do exactly what you've asked, Razorwing.
07-27-2006, 06:17 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Honnou
I can, most likely, mimic Dunmer speech patterns if I find a male Dunmer and study him for a little bit in Oblivion. What I mostly need to find is a key phrase which would use the accent best (For example: to get into the Sold Snake voice, I need to say "Metal Gear?!" over and over until I fit into it, then I can control it).

Actually, the Dunmer in OB aren't quite what we're going for. They sound much different than in Morrowind. In MW, they have much deeper, scratchy voices. Very scratchy actually. If you want an idea of what they sound like, listen to some of TheImperialDragon's or Lutemoth's recordings.

Oh yes, before I forget. Welcome!! :bananarock:
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
07-27-2006, 07:11 AM,

Thank you for the link, Noremorse.

You folks happen to be in luck. I can do a variant of the Morrowinish Dunmer, although mine is raspy YET gurgly, almost Reptillian, but it's similar, that's for certain.

If I get a script, I can provide .wav (maybe .mp3, I'll check when I know if I will get a shot at the gig), same with other accents and whatnot.

Now then...I believe it is...it's... :banana: Peanut Butter Dunmer Time! :bananarock:
07-29-2006, 07:04 PM,

Hmm...I have a problem, my friends. My computer is fried. Right now, we are pretty sure it's just the PSU, and I've got a replacement on the way. No big problem there. The big problem is if the CPU or Motherboard are dead, it'll take me over a month to get the money to replace those.