Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voice Demos
04-18-2008, 03:57 PM,
Voice Demos
Hello everyone!

It's a bit quiet around here lately. I thought we might need a shot in the arm. FYI, I am in the process of releasing a series of four videos, featuring my own voice acting, on general distribution around Youtube and TesNexus.

Besides the sheer, unadulterated vanity of the whole endeavour Cool , the main goal, really, is to attract some more quality, committed VAs that are ready to a) commit to the awesome task of voicing generic races and/or b) have such damn fine voices that ST sounds as professional as we can possibly make it whilst maximising the potential of regional and dialectical varieties we established through the use of upper and lower class Imperials.

Currently, parts 1 and 2 are released (see below). Part 3 will follow shortly and Part 4 will likely take a little longer. I'd like to work in co-operation with SACarrow on this, if possible, as he's often expressed a desire to release a separate, VA promo vid for ST. Part 4 might be that vid or, alternatively, we could put together an official ST release and then I could produce a reduced version for my own 'Part 4' of the series.

Given the intentions of these videos as stated above, I have no desire at all to 'steal the thunder' of Silgrad Tower.

Anyway, here is 'Part 1' on youtube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X2aQlHqHigM

and on TesNexus: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16664

Then, 'Part 2' on youtube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DWWSAV6hQgE

and on TesNexus: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16678

I hope the prospect of overhauling the generic race voices attracts more bods. I think we need some serious quality bringing in in order to bring the standard higher, especially if v3.0 is on its way, as it seems to coming along quite nicely :goodjob: . If we can do this, then we have the potential for a truly award-winning sound department for ST.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
04-18-2008, 04:55 PM,

Excellent work on both of them! Yes, I really would like to make an ST vid highlighting this mod's approach to VA; even a simple walk through Steadhelm with a little scripting could show the range of what we (mostly IG) have done.

And yes, the VA realm has slowed down quite a bit. A lot of that's on me. Much of the management of the VA acting involves staying in contact with the VAs to make sure they have what they need. With other things (ST & RL) happening, that contact has fallen off on my part. One thing that I have done on the voice front is to fix up the StGeneric quest variants so that they should play well. Those changes are being given the once-over by sandor now, but once those are in, I'll feel more comfortable adding more specific lines to them (like IG's Nord lines) and also pushing more aggressively on the VA front.

Enough blather from me for now! Let's hear your blather on stuff VA-related! Smile Ideas for vids, promotion or anything like that.

Later,
Steve
04-18-2008, 05:29 PM,

I have a bit of an idea that might just work but I don't have to tell you right now as I'm off for the weekend. Will be back soon, though Wink
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
04-21-2008, 10:58 AM,

Okay, I'm back!

Here's the idea. It's a bit off-the-wall Smile and it may be best to use it as a finale or opening in-between the main sections

What I would need is some sort of karaoke backing for a very famous song by the Scottish duo, The Proclaimers. It's called 'I'm gonna be (500 miles)' and you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQfqSWe8eVE with the lyrics here: http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Proclai...Miles.html

The idea is to alter these lyrics to tell a bit of a story that would provide a focus for the video and also, obviously, to entertain. The story is that a young Nord has fallen in love with a Dunmer girl and is swearing that he will do anything to be with her. It would be possible to weave more of a story around this, if needs be, to create a movie effect that best exploits ST's geographical features. Using the karaoke backing, I'm sure I could sing the altered lyrics below whilst the following takes place:

The verses will show a successive increase in the Nord's height coinciding with a gradual decrease in pitch as we see flash shots of his life and/or shots of him walking through Steadhelm (preferably towards the camera). As he ages, he becomes stronger and displays better armour. This fits with his reason for being in and travelling towards (and within) Morrowind as the theme of the song suggests.

I have included the altered lyrics below. Bear in mind that we could have flash shots of other races providing the backing and the harmonies in order to make the most of them but I think that everything would need to be agreed upon beforehand over who says what and where. Then it should be possible to mix the recordings together. My 'Audacity' software should be able to handle that. If not, then I should be able to get hold of a copy of 'Adobe Audition', which I hear is quite good.

The tricky part will be marrying up the video and images with the sound but our guideline will be the timing of the background music so that it all slots together nicely during editing.

Anyway, here is my proposal for the first two verses of the altered lyrics (I've tested these out for syllables and rhythm and I should be able to pull this off okay):

When I grow up well I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be out of Skyrim looking for you
When I go out yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the Nord who is a hero to you
When I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the Nord who gets drunk in (insert name of Steadhelm pub here)
And if I get famous yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be a Dunmer hero to you
But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
to get to Silgrad Tower

When I'm fighting yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's fighting just for you
And when the Septims come in for the work I do (and when the money - comes in for the work I do - I'll pass almost every penny on to you)
I'll pass almost every penny on to you
When we get home oh I know it's gonna be
It's gonna be a land familiar to you
If I have statues created just for me
I'd sell them all to settle down with you

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1,000 miles
To get to Silgrad Towerna na na, na na na
na na na, na na na
lika lika lika lika lika la
na na na, na na na
na na na, na na na
lika lika lika lika lika la
04-21-2008, 08:14 PM,
Re
Perhaps The Proclaimers aren't exactly my type of music, but I like your idea and am willing to do the instrumental backing. The instrumental part of the song doesn't exactly require a lot of instrumental prowess, so I should be able to do it. Ask Steve for my MSN and add me if you wish to discuss it further Smile

~Andy
04-21-2008, 08:48 PM,

Cheers, dude. Will do!

They're not exactly my top band either but it's an amiable tune and should be quite a fun, jokey sort of concept.

Edit - I got your MSN but for some reason, I'm getting this message - 'This instant messaging address is not valid for use with Windows Live Messenger.' Any ideas?

Btw, 'Part 3' of the demos is now online here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf1zSzjo1dw

And at TesNexus: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16735