Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voice acting
05-29-2007, 09:13 PM,

Is there a way to make it require a mouse click to make the text move onto the next line? What about just having it play a blank sound file in the background indefinately as the dialogue for the line, until voice acting is put in? Is this even possible?
05-29-2007, 09:16 PM,

About the mouse clicking, no, I don't think so. The game automatically goes through the dialogue for you. Which is a pisstake, in some respect.

About the blank sound files, yes, that's a common solution, a few programs have the ability to generate blank sound files, like TESGecko. It's too much of a fart on for me though, I can't be bothered with it, I'm just gonna stick to the 'not being able to read it' technique until there are some proper voice files.
05-29-2007, 09:26 PM,

You could in theory use a very long blank sound file for every line of dialog (so the text can stay on screen long enough for it to be readable), but at the same time the sound file will be longer than what is necessary so you would simply be able to skip to the next line of dialog (once you're done reading) by clicking... just like you can skip lines of dialog in vanilla OB.

Hope that made sense. Tongue
When the game is over, the King and the Pawn go back into the same box.
05-29-2007, 09:37 PM,

Makes sense for me. :yes: Not a bad idea either.
05-29-2007, 11:11 PM,

ive got a quality mic my dad uses to record his music. very professional. id be glad to try my hand. ill post a demo as son as i figure out how to.
Just for the sake of having something here.
05-29-2007, 11:46 PM,

Sorry about not being clear, but having a long blank sound file was what I meant there. You guys would know more about this than I would, so whether or not it's worth your while to do so would have to be your call.
05-30-2007, 01:05 AM,

Ah right, I see what you meant now. It could work, it wouldn't play indefinately, but there could be a, say, 5 minute blank recording made for dialogue so that it would really slow it down (or make it almost so the player has to click to change). A good idea, if possible. :yes:
05-31-2007, 05:35 AM,

In my humble opinion when someone volounteers to do voice work, ask them to post a .mp3 and .lip file pair they've made. That way you'll know 1) what technical quality they can record 2) if their voice is useable and 3) that they can record dialogue independently in the Construction Set.

You can rename .mp3 and .lip files after the fact but it's ten times easier and makes the process less prone to errors to have a voice artist voice existing written dialogue than the other way around. Likewise you can probably create .lip files from mp3's by first converting them back to wav's but hell, that's more work than it was for the artist to record them. I did it myself at one occasion and I never want to do it again hehe, so I wouldn't recommend that.

Since all you'd want is the mp3 and lip file pairs it wouldn't matter how the dialogue is set up on the voice artist's end. In other words he or she wouldn't need to know how to mod a working Conversation just to record the lines for a conversation.

I thought up this little script, which might be of use. If nothing else than for testing purposes.

[Woman1] Well hello there, how is this day treating you?
[Woman2] Not bad thanks. Just on my way to the river to do some laundry.
[Woman1] Guar dung?
[Woman2] Some kind of dung for sure. I tried everything to get the stain out. Soaking it for a day will be my last resort.
[Woman1] They should dig a well around here, we shouldn't have to go to the river everytime.
[Woman2] Exactly. Or keeps the streets clean!
[Woman1] Now that would be something!
[Woman2] See you later!
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
05-31-2007, 02:45 PM,

Haha, written in true Oblivion style. :lmao:
The Forgotten Ones have returned.
05-31-2007, 02:47 PM,

No mudcrabs....
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"