Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vvar: Aryon's letter on psychological plans
05-14-2006, 10:41 AM,

KK, All leg-pulling apart, I hope that you will preserve your original document as your new document will show by comparison the way that 'discoveries' of new Lore have affected 'recent' thinking.
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
05-14-2006, 11:45 AM,

Razorwing: thank you, and wisely done
raggidman: I fully intend to save it for reference to see what had change and what did not

[/hr]

[title]Aryon's Letter to Baladas[/title]

Hail good friend Baladas,
  • As you well know, we Telvanni have historically been warrior-wizard holds scattered across northeastern Morrowind. Most left us alone, out of fear or respect and we left them alone as well. We made alliances carefully but always willing to drop them should the need arise. However, Gothren is now gone, I am the new Archmagister of the Telvanni and Lord High Councilor of the Telvanni council. As you may understand, war is approaching. The powers of King Hlaalu Helseth, Great House Hlaalu, and Great House Dres are fighting a war with Great House Indoril, who beset by so many enemies and lacking leadership is doomed. I hear many Indoril refugees are going to Molag Mar, and I have asked Therana to treat them kindly. I fear that the Telvanni will be marginalized or worse, eliminated if we do not act. If we comply with Helseth, then we must fight northern Indoril who are still strong and as of yet not attacked by the Helseth Alliance. Also we will lose our power over our lands and have to answer to a cunning and brutal authority. If we do not, then it is simple, we will have a great war to fight. Though we have few allies, we must first change the Telvanni to be able to fight a war.
    I do not think resisting Helseth is hopeless my friend. We have great warriors and many of our wizards are earning the respect of Dunmer all over Morrowind by closing Oblivion's Gates. We have especially gotten the admiration of Redoran and Ashlanders, quite surprised by our peoples' sudden bravery. This has gotten us into friendship with Ashlander and Redoran and I earnestly push to increase our friendship into a full-fledged alliance. Redoran needs help, and we can offer it. However, before war can be fought, we need to shape the minds of the Telvanni. The younger generation is aggressive, part of the survival of the fittest aspect of our society. We need to direct this to have them not go out in the wilds or partake in illegal actions but have them join Telvanni musters and armies. We must emphasive martial prowess. Before we shape the minds of the Telvanni to love war, we cannot win a war I do not think. Therefore I have now released all our slaves and bade them to join gathering betmer groups in the wild. They in return have offered their services as hirelings, and also hate another on eof our common enemies, the Nords. The Redoran are troubled by the Nords and shoul dbe lend them aid even in the form of betmer mercenaries, we can strengthen our bond that much.

Now, the hardest part would be changing the culture of the Telvanni. Within ourselves, we are a survival of the fittest society. However in the face of the rest of Morrowind, we are often-times unaggressive isolationists. I hope, by giving the more aggressive younger generation more power, the culture can gradually shift to a more militaristic and dynamic society. I have also begun sowing in people a sense of unity by having the commoners petition to their local Master-wizard for action such as defenses, garrison of troops, etc. As of now, it appears to be working, and with your support, as well as the young Uvirith's support, and Divayth Fyr my master's reassurance, I am confident in my abilities to transform the society into a more unified and aggressive Great House. What do you think of my plan, Demnavanni my friend?

Aryon
06-22-2006, 02:49 AM,

Did you ever see the deciphered Aryon-Divayth letters? (From one of the quests you get from Aryon's Mouth.)

"Message from Master Aryon :

To the esteemed Divayth Fyr : I will be blunt. I need an ally , the traditionalists and craies have joined to get her against me. If something is not done their shortsighted nets may bring house Telvanny to more direct conflict with Redoran, Indoril, Hlaallu, even the Empire.
Surely you can redict the Empire collapse as well as I. We should work together to save our house ! You could claim a position on the council by merely as I, even Gothren and Neloth. I must admit that you are older; a wise rain every waidsmerior to the min the arcane arts .
Your honored student, Master Aryon.

Answer from Divayth Fyr:

To my former student: regrettably, I decline your offer now. What you are planning, and I wish you well, I have the utmost respect for you personally, but I do not wish to involve myself in the dealing soft we council. I feel you will find some one more suitable to your purpose so on until the perhaps you should persuade.
Baladdas Divayth Fyr."
06-22-2006, 02:58 AM,

a man can't have a change of heart?
plus you don't know my ideas for HOW the Telvanni are dragged into war...
obviously the Telvanni would rather NOT go to war, even if they will be victorious..

let's just say... they have enemies, who allies are their allies' enemies and their allies' and their enemies' allies' actions suck Telvanni into war... sometimes you can't just back down and say no... especially when you lose ALL allies... then what are you gonna do? easy pickings for ambitious Houses...

however Aryon is not totally against war... but he doesn't want his House to instigate anything...

note he mentions Gothren and Neloth (they are "traditionalists and craies") and are against Aryon's new style policies of active politics and evasion of instigating war... they are hard-headed and go the normal telvanni way...
the other Houses will no longer let Telvanni grab lands and make holds... they will say that is unfair or illegal and attack as seen TES3...

so Aryon wants to redirect the Telvanni so as to not let them be the cause of war...
and if war breaks out, then so be it, Telvanni will not take the blame and will let allies take the brunt but hopes to emerge victorious and help divide up Vvardenfell...
06-22-2006, 10:00 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Axen
Did you ever see the deciphered Aryon-Divayth letters? (From one of the quests you get from Aryon's Mouth.)

"Message from Master Aryon :

To the esteemed Divayth Fyr : I will be blunt. I need an ally , the traditionalists and craies have joined to get her against me. If something is not done their shortsighted nets may bring house Telvanny to more direct conflict with Redoran, Indoril, Hlaallu, even the Empire.
Surely you can redict the Empire collapse as well as I. We should work together to save our house ! You could claim a position on the council by merely as I, even Gothren and Neloth. I must admit that you are older; a wise rain every waidsmerior to the min the arcane arts .
Your honored student, Master Aryon.

Answer from Divayth Fyr:

To my former student: regrettably, I decline your offer now. What you are planning, and I wish you well, I have the utmost respect for you personally, but I do not wish to involve myself in the dealing soft we council. I feel you will find some one more suitable to your purpose so on until the perhaps you should persuade.
Baladdas Divayth Fyr."

These are a delicious find - I would like to include them as a book - the phrase "you can redict the Empire collapse as well as I" sounds very ominous and one wonders exactly what Empire Collapse strategy Aryon has been following?

In the reply the phrase: "...so on until the perhaps..." seems significant as I suspect there is a typo and that it might read: "...until then..." which would indicate that Divayth Fyr plans on joining in later...

More later on your new letter...
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman