Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vvar/BM - Slave Tails
05-10-2007, 12:15 AM,
Vvar/BM - Slave Tails
I'll post the stories up as I think of them. Dren writes in very refined language but easy for the common people. The slaves often speak in broken Cyrodiilic or Dunmeric, with some of their native words. Thus their dialect/coloquialism is intended to add more effect to the presentation of the tales.

[/hr]

Slave Tails
Collected by Ilmeni Dren

This is a collection of tales from slaves. The folklore of slaves is something we should all consider, for they make a significant minority in Morrowind, and they find equivalents in the forced-laborers of Black Marsh and beast-folk labor in the Summerset Isles. Slavery is not truly gone, simply replaced by tenant farmers, migrant workers, and poor laborers. They are a part of Dunmer culture, and have developed a culture of their own, influenced by Dunmer but with roots from their own homelands. Look upon these stories carefully and you will find that they possess an inner meaning that can only come from the clever mind of an intelligent person, not a brutish beast of burden.

----------------------------------------

How Whips Came About

Legend has it that the first whip was made from an Argonian's tail. One day in Velothis Haven, an Argonian and a Khajiit were working in the fields. The Argonian then collapsed. The Master came over and demanded to know what was wrong. The Argonian staggered up and said he was getting the chills, and for Argonians this could be deadly. The Master, having only a few slaves, could not afford to lose his strongest peon and so he allowed him to rest in the slave shack. The Argonian wasn?t stoopid and decided to fake sickness everyday. Thus everyone else had to work harder.
One day, the Khajiit thought to himself, ?Khajiit has no good feelings about scaly one, this is too strange. Ja Masta is getting harsha and Khajiit doesn?t like getting hit.?
And so he snuck up to see what the Argonian was doing. He has dozing away by the side of the shack, basking in the sun.
?What is scaly one doing, Khajiit thinks you are better now.?
?It comes, questions again, well I am resting, this one won?t tell Masta now will it??
?No, but get well, Khajiit is gonna get beaten much if scaly slave don?t come back.?
?Go, or Masta will see us here talking.. yesss, go??
However the Khajiit soon found this unbearable, and so he returned to the Argonian.
?Masta esa more and more hard. Khajiit has bruises from being too slow, see??
?Don?t tell Masta, we will all be free when it is quiet and I can sneakes knives into me shack yessa??
?But Khajiit don?t like the bruises? Khajiit is getting hurt ever day!?
And having said that he left. He then told the Master who promptly went to the nearest Telvanni wizard to perform his atrocious dissections and tortures and whatever other disgusting practices the Telvanni used to do on their slaves. The Master gave the Khajiit a break for that day. The Khajiit then smugly went to the Argonian.
?Masta gonna go get the magician? hehehe Khajiit gets resting today!?
?What? Basha na, it tells on its brother?! I must run ? ?
?Too late, Khajiit seen the wizard ups the road already, see??
The Argonian was dragged away by the wizard and chopped up. But as he was being dragged away the Argonian hissed, ?It told on the brother and now it will never rest, when my tail comes to lick its back!?
And so the whip was invented.

Clearly, slave-loyalties can be seen here. Slaves who try to appeal to the Master are looked down upon, and traitors are hated. In the end, the traitor-slave fares no better, and in this tale, the Argonian?s own tail is fashioned into the first whip, the tool of domination owned by the slave-master.
05-10-2007, 01:53 AM,

Hmm, that's interesting. Never really think much of slave literature before, but it should definitely be there. Also, a cool way to implement this would just be verbally. Forget a book, slaves can't write. This could become part of the spoken tradition of slaves, similar to the stories of american slaves
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
05-10-2007, 02:08 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
Hmm, that's interesting. Never really think much of slave literature before, but it should definitely be there. Also, a cool way to implement this would just be verbally. Forget a book, slaves can't write. This could become part of the spoken tradition of slaves, similar to the stories of american slaves

maybe there's a storyteller? Confusedhrug:

but rcorded tales would be good yea?
05-19-2007, 03:57 AM,

good :banana: :bananarock:good :banana: :bananarock:
07-08-2009, 09:06 AM,

Done.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!