Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What size do you want TESV to be?
12-15-2010, 08:59 PM,

I don't know about cell sizes but apparently, MW was 10 square miles and OB was 16.

The thing that I found was that Morrowind felt larger for 3 things:

- No fast travel - silt striders, boats etc. had to be used instead

- Natural barriers eg. Ghostfence, Foyadas etc.

- Only the southern part of the island was inhabited (with some exceptions) so most of it felt like a wilderness that was strange and vast. In OB, the inhabited regions are pretty evenly spread out, and as such, the most interesting wilderness locations are the NW side of the map and Blackwood.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]
12-17-2010, 01:03 PM,

Personally I never understood why people have a problem with fast travel (this isn't a criticism, I would genuinely like to know). It is optional after all, and I normally don't use it except to ferry loot back and forth from dungeons to my house. Makes the world seem a lot larger.

I think a bigger factor in OB seeming small is the giant valley bowl effect.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
12-17-2010, 01:26 PM,

I generally played the same as you but when it came to the end game (main quest wise) I just couldn't help but give in to the evil side and fast travel everywhere. But that was my own fault, the reason I'm not happy with fast travel is that it's a silly mechanism that's not warranted by anything. The type fast travel offered by real transport in games is far more realistic. Even Dragon Age had random encounters. In oblivion you just magically teleport to your location of choice. Booo urns X(

I think another reason Morrowind seamed bigger was the fog. We mentioned LOS but only in regards to natural obstructions. Morrowinds fog did a lot to keep the world large and mysterious IMO.
To answer your question, yes. But probably no.
12-23-2010, 06:53 AM,

I'd actually be perfectly happy with a landmass the size of Oblivion or only slightly larger.
I wouldn't like to see the whole province of Skyrim included however, I think that was the main problem; the days of Daggerfall sized games are over (at least for now) and the devs should really try to focus on a more concentrated region (like what we are doing with Silgrad) instead of scaling down an entire province.
IMO Oblivion would have worked just fine with say the Imperial Isle and perhaps one other major city, both doubled in size, and a couple of smaller settlements. Oblivion had plenty of potential, but by having such a wide focus it was dulled somewhat.
In Skyrim I'd like to see one or two larger cities, perhaps somewhere around the coast or the throat of the world and an area around Cyrodiil's size, perhaps with area increasing as expansions are added.
What's the use of a good quote if you can't change it?
12-23-2010, 12:15 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Personally I never understood why people have a problem with fast travel (this isn't a criticism, I would genuinely like to know). It is optional after all, and I normally don't use it except to ferry loot back and forth from dungeons to my house. Makes the world seem a lot larger.

I think a bigger factor in OB seeming small is the giant valley bowl effect.

Hi Deeza Smile

My personal idea of it is, that it some how takes away from the play of the game.

I too have used it enough but I honestly like the transport idea of TES3. While it was a quicker way to travel, the player had to aquire that form of travel through effort.

Traveling without an aquired spell or transport, IMO, lessens game experience a great deal.

Merry Christmas
Charles
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM,

Hi,

I'm new in this Forum.

I hope I do not make enemies right away. ;-)

I think (from the game devers point of view) fast travel makes quite a lot of sense.
They want to sell games (to make a living and stupid things like that).
Unfortunately many gamers nowadays want it easy. :-(
they don't want to run to the University, run to the dungeon, run back to the city to get the right spell for the riddle, run back to the dungeon, run back to the university.
... Yes I also do not know how those players get their athletic sjkill to 100. ;-)

But that unfortunately is something the devers have to take into account.

BTW I have never had anyone force me to use the fast travel in OB. ;-)

And I also loved the way of traveling in MW.

I really would love a kind of "auto pilot" where you could tell your char to move to a known(!) location. that way one could eat pizza while the char is following the road to the city.
02-16-2011, 09:01 AM,

I use fast travel all the time. It just annoys me and like Asgard said, no one wants to have to do all the running. Anotgher thing I hated about MW was what that yes, it was a wilderness to the top except for that shanty town with the messed up wizard. and that annoyed me so much. The towns were so far apart at the top or they'd be in the middle of no where and when I come clambering over the hillside weak with fatigue and near death, all I want is an inn and a nice warm boat to go to my fighters guild home away from home in Vivec, but what do I get, a three house town with no boat and no silts! So I want fat travel and a quest marker, people have failed to point that out there was no quest marker in MW. Yes that was realistic and made you feel like a real adventurer and all that crap, but the fog made your journey even harder. I dont want to have to traverse a mountain side or a mine to get over it, or jump m,y way up a cliff face, just to get to that three village town which isn't my quest objective. I want a nice jorney where I can run into a crwature from time to time. It just annoyed me. And levitation was too easy. It made me feel like a child that i could fly as high as I wanted and then wait to fall to my death. Levitation points made no difference to it at all. Jump and that was good. but slowfal made you fall slowly and when your halfway, it stops and you fall to your death. I could go on about its faults but it had to many positives to let them affect its score.
I just want a big si,mple game that dosen't make you annoyed and rage quit when there is a mountain in your way. Like FO3! So much flippen rubble!

In addittion to TES2. Yes, it is huge. Overly massive. Why? Areana had all of Tamriel. But, it took me half an hour to cross Tamriel. From Llmoth to Solitude. In OB, it took me three hours to go from Deepscorn Hollow, to Cloud rULER tEMPLE.
Odd.
The future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary, it's time to do it now and do it loud, Killjoys, make some noise!
02-17-2011, 06:22 AM,

So being able to fly is too easy but being able to teleport is not? ?(

Quote:In addittion to TES2. Yes, it is huge. Overly massive. Why? Areana had all of Tamriel. But, it took me half an hour to cross Tamriel. From Llmoth to Solitude. In OB, it took me three hours to go from Deepscorn Hollow, to Cloud rULER tEMPLE.
Odd.
I believe the wilderness (and the cities too, actually) in Arena is procedurally generated as you go on, so I don't think you can cross from Solitude to Lilmoth by foot.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
02-18-2011, 04:02 AM,

In terms of size... it doesn't matter to me too much as long as it has interesting lore. I would rather have fewer cities each with a unique history and culture than... well... Cheydinhaal (sp?): a city that should be a melting pot of Imperial + Dunmer culture, but is instead very standard fantasy.

I've always used the "Cyrodiil Transportation Network" mod. It adds guild guides, ships, and carts that you can use as a MW- style paid fast travel service Smile. IIRC, it's pretty well built, too. It has a little bit of a "mod-ish" feeling to it, but not bad.

I usually try to ride my horsie to locations when I can. Sometimes, I simply don't feel like taking such a long trip, so I'll use the above mod, or do the old-fashioned fast travel. It depends upon my patience at the time Tongue. Fast travel does take away from that "I'm deep underground in a dungeon in the middle of nowhere, and if I die here, no one will find my corpse until it's nothing but crumbling bones" feeling, however.