Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which accent for Nord?
01-20-2008, 02:17 PM,

More blustery?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
01-21-2008, 03:48 PM,

How do we feel about the above, guys? The way I see it we have a number of options with Nords.

1) Ditch the old 'Scot-as-Nord' in favour of new rerecordings in line with the above. I could even make them more gruff and brash, if you wish, but my initial concern was making the voice understandable, although I guess if the line is written on-screen it wouldn't matter. In fact, this would make for good comedy value, if you think about it, because if I managed to pull off a broad Glaswegian accent, most people wouldn't be able to understand it anyway and you'd need it to be translated on-screen!

2) Double up the class system for Nords with my earlier recordings representing the ruling, noble classes and the later recordings for yer average brutes.

3) Try to recruit or wait for an actual Nord to come along (i.e. a good Scandinavian voice actor) and replace the Scots with his recordings.

4) Have a regional, clan-based Nord divide whereby the Nords are split between the voice of an actual Nord (as per option 3 above) and one of the Scot sets. This one is an interesting prospect and may give writers a bit more material to play with when dealing with Nord history.

5) Stick with what we've got and leave it at that. It'd save me some time, anyway!

If options 1, 2 or 4 are the most appealing, let me know and I'll try to set some time aside for making the new set of PerPack recordings.

- Steve B (Ibsen's Ghost)
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
01-21-2008, 11:27 PM,

I like it

Nothing wrong with th Scot/Nord sound as long as it is Brash (as you did)

:goodjob:

Now as far as the rest of your comments, if you;d like ot give it one more try as you indicated in #1, please do, I'd be interested in hearing it

Otherwise I'm good

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
01-22-2008, 02:20 AM,

I think the Scottish accent idea is very interesting. I listened to the samples, and I definitely liked them.

As for your options there, I think your first one is worth at least a small trial. Try a recording a few lines and we'll listen. Smile The other options are all good ideas too, we'll see what happens.
01-22-2008, 01:35 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by bob196045
I like it

Nothing wrong with th Scot/Nord sound as long as it is Brash (as you did)

:goodjob:

Now as far as the rest of your comments, if you;d like ot give it one more try as you indicated in #1, please do, I'd be interested in hearing it

Otherwise I'm good

Enjoy
Bob
I agree. Smile
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
01-22-2008, 08:30 PM,

Ha, that was fun! This is going to take a fair amount of time to do well but it may well prove worthwhile. Please try to avoid reading the text below until you've listened to the recordings as it will give you a better impression of how it might sound in-game.

My only worry is that, to broad-speaking Scots, this may come across as a) a mingle of different dialects imperfectly performed to their ears and b) possibly a little offensive. It's only going to be accurate to a degree.

The first two recordings are certainly not much different from the original PerScript. This is because I struggled to come up with an appropriate expression that matched the situation as, I think, will be likely with most lines. After this, there is a lot more dialect.

As I can only fit 7 files in one posting, the last two (my favourites, personally) will follow either in another post or another thread.

Here are the line translations:

StGeneric_ADMIREDISLIKE_0018B2A5_1 Was that supposed to be a compliment?
Weh tha suppos tae be a complimen'?

StGeneric_ADMIREDISLIKE_0018B2A6_1 I'm not buying that one.
Ah's nae buying tha' won

StGeneric_ADMIREDISLIKE_0018B2A7_1 Don't be silly.
Dinnae be sich a silly cloht
Silly cloht = silly clot (meaning 'a stupid person')

StGeneric_ADMIREDISLIKE_0006230F_1 That's a bit excessive, don't you think?
Tha's splitting hai-eers thar, ya ken?
tha = 'you' or 'you are' (I'm hoping this transfers okay from Yorkshire, my own area)
splitting hai-eers = overdoing something or appearing desperate
ken = understand

StGeneric_ADMIREDISLIKE_00062310_1 I doubt you really mean that.
Ah, yae's gohttae tell tha' trooth!
= Oh, you've got to tell the truth

StGeneric_ADMIREHATE_0018B2A8_1 Don't talk such rot.
Yah's hooftae be ohwn tha Bucky-Skooma
hooftae = have to
ohwn tha Bucky-Skooma = on the Bucky (meaning 'strong, fortified wine') combined with Skooma!

StGeneric_ADMIREHATE_0018B2A9_1 Not now, not later, not ever.
Teek thee high rawd yanutter
Teek = Take
Rawd = Road
yanutter = you madman

Enjoy!

P.S. I'll have to post the next two up once I've waited 60 minutes as it won't allow me to post twice in succession so quickly.
01-22-2008, 08:38 PM,

Now you can Smile To clarify: if someone posts, you can then re-post.

Steve
01-22-2008, 09:07 PM,

Aha, cheers, Steve.

The last two of the current batch:

StGeneric_ADMIREHATE_0018B2AA_1 Don't waste your flattery on me.
Am naw acquaintat wif pooftas
naw = not
acquaintat = acquainted, obviously (but a often used expression in Glasgow, I believe)
wif pooftas = with gay people (naturally, this part is controversial and could be interpreted as homophobic or suggesting that Glaswegians are homophobic)

StGeneric_BOASTHATE_0006231A_1 Don't make me laugh.
A hivnae got a scooby wha ya's tokin 'boot.
= I don't have a clue (Scooby Doo - it's rhyming slang!) what you are talking about.
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM,

These lines are a howl!

Just want to clarify though: My thinking is that the general Nord accent be your blustery Scot, but pretty much staying with the lines as written. I'd favor saving the heavier, more slangful lines for specific NPCs who are a bit more, shall we say, "down-to-earth" -- and possibly naked beside the road. Big Grin

Others please chime in with your thoughts.

And regrettably with a broadly released mod like this, I don't think the word poofters can survive. Sad

Steve