Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will put it all together?!
10-08-2005, 12:39 PM,
Who will put it all together?!
I've just been thinking, there are around 20 (Completely random guess) people working on this, right? And we're all using different saves in the CS, so, how/who merges them all?
Known as "DamnIGN" on the ES forums. (They got me, Dagoth Nereviar, banned!)
10-08-2005, 06:13 PM,

Assuming Oblivion works like Morrowind in this respect - and there's a good chance it will - a project needs one or more "main file admins", which is an informal term I use personally. The main file admin gets plugins sent to him, which s/he merges with a master file, and once s/he's amassed enough plugins s/he releases a new version of the master file. This is pretty much how Bethesda built Morrowind.

The master file can be used by modders of the project, so they're up to speed with the latest developments and can use newly-added models in their mod projects. Newly-started plugins are thus made dependant on the latest master file, so that the modder knows the current state of the overall project and that the new plugin doesn't contain outdated information. The master file can also be played by players, if that is wanted.

In order to not pile too much work on a main file admin it might be wise to have more than one of them that work independently as far as the Construction Set is concerned, but which obviously need to communicate extensively with the other main file admins so their work is coordinated.

On a basic level this is the game plan that Blacklight-Silgrad Tower-Velothi Mountains would use.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-08-2005, 07:04 PM,

We were basically thinking of using a schedule of sorts. Basically, the project head (for that area, kulkuza could change it if he wanted) would get it every other day to fien tune, and others would get it on the other days based on a schedule. Day to day, most likely. And if they finish what they wanted to do earlky, they could send it on to the next person.
10-08-2005, 09:03 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
[Snip]

Yeh, that's how I thought it would be

Quote:Originally posted by falco1029
[Snip]

So you mean, one modder does something, then next day, the other mod does something else?
10-08-2005, 09:07 PM,

falco1029: Ok, good luck with that Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-08-2005, 11:13 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Dagoth Nereviar
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
[Snip]

Yeh, that's how I thought it would be

Quote:Originally posted by falco1029
[Snip]

So you mean, one modder does something, then next day, the other mod does something else?

Basically, yes
10-09-2005, 03:20 AM,

The only problem with that, falco, is if a modder forgets to post the file, or loses internet connection, etc. In theory it is a good idea, but it is to dependent on people's real life schedules. What Razorwing had said is what I think KuKulzA had in mind, at least, it was what I had been thinking.
10-09-2005, 04:04 AM,

Yeah, but there really isnt any better system
10-09-2005, 04:23 AM,

Actually what Razorwing said is a much better system. Cause Ixosis is right while yours does have promise it is too dependant on what happens in the everday life of each person. One thing goes wrong and it could delay the entire project.
As the wind blows by the breeze takes me where it will and freely I go to spread peace on the wind.
10-09-2005, 12:42 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by painnneck
Actually what Razorwing said is a much better system. Cause Ixosis is right while yours does have promise it is too dependant on what happens in the everday life of each person. One thing goes wrong and it could delay the entire project.

Agreed.