Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Chasepoint/Kulu-Hees Quest] - Frogchild
03-15-2010, 03:59 PM,
[Chasepoint/Kulu-Hees Quest] - Frogchild
One of the lesser-known facts (ie. I just made it up) about the Paatru is that they often try to abduct human babies. The reasons for this strange behaviour are unknown, but it's the reason why anxious parents often cast spells of silence over young children to avoid them attracting the attention of the frog-people. In Black Marsh, it's traditional to scare disobedient kids by saying that "the Paatru will come and get them". This quest follows up on an incident of this kind...

In the village of Chasepoint is home to an old couple whose child disappeared years ago. They are still devastated by it, and ask the player to visit the Paatru lair at Kulu-Hees in an attempt to get some kind of closure, hoping for evidence about what happened to their kid.

It's easy enough to get into Kulu-Hees: the Paatru are terrified of fire, and will retreat if the player carries a torch. However, you find the lost baby (now an adult), who the Paatru have raised as one of their own. So you face the choice: leave him with his adoptive family, or take him back to his real parents that he never knew?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
03-15-2010, 10:43 PM,

This has a potential link with the myth of the 'river-sunk child'. Perhaps the Paatru's connection with the Hist is a destructive one. Water, in BM, serves often to destroy. The Paatru's main element is water, seeing as they're the most amphibious of all Hist races, but this might also have a bearing on evolution and how species develop, as symbolised by the baby...and there's something primordial about amphibians, of course. There's room for some myth-making here. In the meantime, nice quest!
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
03-16-2010, 06:26 PM,

Okay, BMM. It's like this: do something productive and contribute or you get kicked out. People who work on this mod know what the Paatru look like already because we've been hard at work on them. Do you really think we ought to pander to your demands when you haven't even looked like doing anything productive yet?

I'm giving you 7 days to do something positive before I have you permanently removed from the forums.

This comment is extremely rude and that type of attitude will not be accepted here!
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
03-17-2010, 04:48 PM,

@IG
I'll reply to your PM asap.
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
03-18-2010, 09:06 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by black marshes modder
ah just delete me
As you wish. :check:
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
01-29-2011, 02:27 AM,

I don't want to know what BMM posted to be honest.

But the couple could be those two Orismer who live in the building marked as the FG. They are a couple and are said to live in a "Family Home" so I guess that would make sense. or we could make Melvala and the Altmer who (I can't remeber his name) who runs the gambling den partners but not married and had a baby a long time ago but it was taken by the Paatru.
I like the Orismer couple better as they are married.

The end sounds like the quest "Blood Ties" from F3. At the end, you can leave the guy with his adopted family of .......(not spoiling it) or covince him to go back home to Arefu.
The future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary, it's time to do it now and do it loud, Killjoys, make some noise!
01-29-2011, 10:59 AM,

Hmm. Those are both interesting options. The orcs are the obvious choice, but given their character bios I'd be intrigued by the possibility that it might be the sleazy Altmer... that would certainly ramp up the moral dilemma element of the quest if you'd be taking the kid back to that...

And yes, I did play that quest in Fallout (actually about a year after writing this). I didn't notice the similarity at the time, but now that you mention it...
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
01-29-2011, 11:03 AM,

And like with BT you sent him back to crappy Arefu. But yes that is more interesting to have Melvala and the Altmer as it would have to be a secret relationship so the Tren's enemies don't harm her.
The future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary, it's time to do it now and do it loud, Killjoys, make some noise!