Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet Another Voice
08-21-2007, 12:07 AM,

^ As far as I know we haven't heard from Fddlrnthrf since the post above, so I can't say whether Dunmer voices are going to get done or not. I don't know why every volounteering voice artist who comes here end up not contributing... maybe they don't have sufficient knowledge of the Construction Set to do it, or maybe there's just too much work to do apart from just recording the lines for them to do it. I'm not directing that to Fddlrnthrf in particular but generally to like half a dozen voice artists who volounteered before.

Now some might wonder, can't a voice artist lend their services to us without having to do all the boring stuff? And the answer is no, they can't. I'd rather be modelling than converting wav's and generating lip files and renaming a hundred files for hours on end, and I'm sure that goes for everyone else as well (albeit modelling may not be their favourite pastime). That part of the process has to be done by the voice artist himself, perhaps especially since it's much easier to finalize the mp3's and lip files on the fly than doing it afterwards.

But, to end on a positive note. A person already in the team might be voicing Bretons and Wood elves in our mod - and perhaps also Khajiits and Argonians! Which bodes very well for Silgrad Tower v3.0 :bananarock:
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-21-2007, 12:36 AM,
The bad news is...
It's me. Smile I'd post a voice sample, but I know the Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis and Europeans out there still adhere to the Geneva Conventions. Big Grin

Here are some thoughts:

- My setup is a cheesy mic connected to my computer in an office with mostly bare and highly reflective walls. I have packing foam on the mic to cut down on the hiss, but the sound still has a flat, recorded-in the-bathroom effect. I'm shopping for a better mic, but suggestions for improving a homebrew acoustic environment would be appreciated.
- What would be required to import external sound files into the CS? I tried feebly a couple of times, but I couldn't get the CS to recognze a WAV for LIP conversion unless I recorded it, which was kinda the point. If it's feasible, I'd be willing to do some of that; I've done my share of grunt work here so the talented can go be talented. Smile I'm not saying I'd do it all, but for someone with vocal or technical quality, yeah, I could do that; Arbiter's Dunmer work being a prime example. I guess the thing is I'd hate to have someone with a great voice or access to a sound studio not be able to contribute because of CS issues, but the bar would be pretty high.

Later,
Steve