Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boats
02-13-2007, 09:33 PM,
boats
[Image: Dres-scuttler.jpg]

Dres Scuttler
This is my concept of a scuttler, a light-chitin made vessel for coastal raiding. it is perfect for piracy, smuggling, slave raiding, etc. Dres are the most sea-faring Great House so I wouldn't be surprised if a few are in the Inner Sea, or if the Dres sail them up Ouda Thir to the Inner Sea to do a little bit of raiding...
these can probably be found heading towards Telvanni lands for slave (no longer) trade and mercenary trade, or in the smuggler's coast (Bitter Coast) for smuggling and piracy, or along the Morrowind-Black Marsh east coast for raiding and trading
as you can see, it has a petrified beetle for its anchor, and has thinned hide for its sails... it is very light, bouyant, and easily buffeted, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. it survives carshes easily, but then again is also easily destroyed by the heavy Imperial Galleons, and isn't always able to out-sail the swift Census&Excise Cutters but it requires less maintenance. Stains for tar is at the bottom where tar was applied to ensure its water-proof abilities for longer durations...
the molded quarters on the top is a room for cooking, hammocks and mats for the higher-ups of the crew, and the captains place for logging and mapping... the below-deck is where the rowers sleep and work and where goods are stored.
05-06-2007, 11:46 PM,

another ship.... the Dres Carrier...

[Image: drescarriermi9.jpg]

As you can see, chitinous... thus lighter than it seems. You can see I was influenced by Chinese 'junks'. This Dres ship is used to transport soldiers, for the transport of wares and goods, for slaves, for supplies, ANYTHING... so its a carrier. This is a relatively large and hard-to-make ship. You need to find and mutate/grow a large undersea crustacean, probably something you'd leave for the Telvanni to do for you. The legs are lashed to make the mast, and sturdy iridescent insect wings used for the sails... these must be acquired from Telvanni bug herders and farmers as well. One of the longer flipper-legs must be fashioned into a rudder, the rest recycled in a bunch of ways. The prices are high but the ship, because of its chitinous material is incredibly durable, very sea-worthy and unfortunately has a funny smell. It is not necessarily a warship, but good for carrying troops for war. The two interiors carved from the belly of the beast have sections below deck as well.... has a slight shrimpy smell down there. The only banes of this ship are barnacles (a few centuries of accumulation and weigh it down), hurricanes from the Padomaic sea... and slave-mutiny...

[/hr]

Dres Warship...

[Image: dreswarshipdq9.jpg]

This baby's bigger than both the Scuttler and Carrier... but less roomy than the carrier and roomier than the scuttler. It has rowers and sails for maneuvering, and while not exactly fast, it most pretty well. Six flaps on each side have archer-holes and can open up for boarding (when ships are next to each other or assaulting a beach). There are also seven pods on the top, made in a similar manner that silt strider compartments are. One is fo rthe double sail and another for the rudder, leaving five for archers, magicians, grapplers, sentries, officers, whatever. As you can see, it's something of an upside-down shrimp, and it'll probably have that smell.
05-07-2007, 02:10 AM,

Wonderful, when summer starts I may get enough time to model them.
"Your love of the Halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind."
-Saruman

"I am the Lizard King, I can do anything."
-Jim Morrison, The Doors
05-20-2007, 04:46 AM,

[Image: boathomerw7.jpg]

Argonian Boat-home
This large canoe is used by tribal Argonians to travel up and down the slow bayous, rivers, and navigate the estuaries of Argonia. These usually belong the the semi-nomadic Argonians who leave their tribal villages to fish and trade along the waterways of the province. They return every few seasons to pay respects to the Hist and bring back goods and news to their village. The boat-home is a large canoe with a thatched roof. The unique utility of the vessel is that it has a rope running from one end to another, going through a bamboo pole in the arch of the roof, that serves as a rope for hanging tools, food, clothing, etc. As you can see, a fish and a frog hang from the line, as does a bow and a quiver of arrows. Long paddles are used with this boat-home and are usually manned by a small group of 6 to 10 Argonians, or a family.

[/hr]

[Image: carrionfruitskiffvd5.jpg]

Carrion-Fruit Skiff
Made from the hollowed out fruit of the Carrion-Flower, this skiff is nothing more than a thin and smelly, hollowed out papaya. It is cut down, split, and then eaten in a great skiff-making feast. Then it is left to dry, and liquids are used to slow decay. This is more common around the Agaceph tribes as their territory has these Carrion-flowers. It is a one to two man craft and requires one or two oars or a strong tail to move it along in the slow waterways of Argonia.
05-21-2007, 04:15 AM,

I like it very much!
05-21-2007, 04:32 AM,

The boat home looks fantastic to me, but perhaps it should have something built in for secure storage of necessities?
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
05-21-2007, 06:31 PM,

well I'm sure some have an enclosed area, but remember they mainly live off the land/water and new tools are easily made... spears out of sharpened reeds/sticks or with teeth or whatever as the tip... same with arrows... and all sorts of implements are easy to make out of bone, which is easily provided from their previous meal. Also, thievery isn't a big deal... or not a rampant thing in wild Argonia, it's more of an occasional occurence
though it IS big in the cities...
05-21-2007, 06:32 PM,

I was thinking more along the lines of cloth, bedrolls, etc., things they use frequently that takes up space.
05-21-2007, 06:35 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by DarkAsmodeous
I was thinking more along the lines of cloth, bedrolls, etc., things they use frequently that takes up space.
ah I see...

well though would normally be hung on the line or kept under the roof, or hanging from the ceilong of the roof. not too much in the way of clothing, natural tribal clothing is made from everyday natural materials, but I guess prized possessions or tradegoods woul dbe stored somewhere safe...

maybe there are baksets or chests that ling the sides of the canoe on the inside, and serve as benches as well as containers?
05-21-2007, 06:37 PM,

Perhaps a board, used as a seat, under which there could be storage?