Poll: What shall we do with our borders?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Turn Silgrad into an island
0%
0 0%
Add an invisible wall
0%
0 0%
Leave it as it is
0%
0 0%
Make something completely different - please elaborate
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
border question
06-04-2005, 02:20 PM,
border question
Hello everybody,

meddling with our mod a question came to my mind: what are we going to do with the borders of Silgrad.

Since I don't want to let the mod end at a clear cut border, looming into nothingness, I see two options:

1. We turn Silgrad into an island. This would require some major landscape action and I'd need the help of talented volunteers.

2. I put collision walls in a certain distance to the border of our mod, so the player sees a nice landscape and won't be bothered by the quite unnatural look of the - literally - edge of the world.

I'd like to get your opinions on this and maybe some of you have an even better idea.

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
06-04-2005, 03:10 PM,

I think the island solution is best :yes:
[Image: lhc.gif]
06-04-2005, 07:38 PM,

One problem of making Silgrad an island is that would require expanding the landmass to slope into the sea, rise to cliffs etc. This would increase its size about 30%. Also the land as it is looks nothing like a real island would look like, the whole shape of the coast would have to be considered.

But I still think its the best option.
Back In Business
06-04-2005, 09:24 PM,

Invisible walls are used to some extent already, mostly in places where the player could walk into nothingness, such as near the Bitter Coast region I did. They are gargantuan, so even if the player was flying, he'd have to be very far up to be able to cross over.

I think it would be a good idea to keep using the invisible walls, for a couple of reasons... and these are just my personal views.

First, the less "useless" area our mod takes up, the less conflicts there are likely to be with other mods.

Second, the invisio-walls are already set up in many places, and is a "tried-and-tested" method our mod has used.

Third, I've always thought of our area as a chunk of Morrowind's mainland. If it was transformed into an island I'm not sure that would make sense to me personally.

Fourth, Oblivion will use the method of invisible walls as barriers, so if Bethesda thinks it's a good idea...?

Fifth, transforming the landmass into an island would take a lot of work for whoever is doing it. Retexturing the ground, making the ground nice and varied, dropping ninja monkeys, adding flora, rocks, seashells, kelp... :O in short, a helluva lot of work which I personally think could be diverted to more fruitful endeavors like creating interiors for the empty exteriors.

Sixth, tying into what G.I. said, you couldn't really make a believable-looking island contour from our square landmass. I think it would look very strange indeed.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-04-2005, 10:42 PM,

I voted for the wall solution (nope that isn't a German phenomenon ... "Nobody intends to build a wall" Wink ) mainly for the reasons Razorwing presented so well.
It's the way that requires the least effort and even I can do it. :dunce: And ... should we ever consider to expand our mod (don't ask me why, but it is a possibility ... an improbable one, but nonetheless), it's much easier to move these walls compared to recreating new landscape.

Greetings

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
06-04-2005, 11:19 PM,

I voted to leave it, as it is.

Arguments against a island are stated above, but then why set up a wall?
In my personal opinion it is as irritating as a sudden border of the landscape. People know that this is a mod for a part of the mainland when they install it, so they won't be suprised on both of that.

But it would prevent others from building mods adjancend to Silgrad.

Free flight for free citisans! Wink
06-04-2005, 11:24 PM,

I think the border should be an invisible barrier.
|m0use.net|
06-04-2005, 11:46 PM,

I undersood that, as i have already encoutered what i count as such as wall: The imposibility to walk or fly further in a certain direction and a message saying something of "end of known world".
06-05-2005, 12:42 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by The Nerevarine
I voted to leave it, as it is.

Arguments against a island are stated above, but then why set up a wall?
In my personal opinion it is as irritating as a sudden border of the landscape. People know that this is a mod for a part of the mainland when they install it, so they won't be suprised on both of that.

But it would prevent others from building mods adjancend to Silgrad.

Free flight for free citisans! Wink

I haven't tried walking off the end of the world actually, but I assume it would involve a very long fall? Wouldn't be much fun for players if we killed their characters that way without warning, I think Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-05-2005, 01:01 AM,

When i remember right, it's a while since i did that, i proofed that also this world is a globe. After a nearly endless flight i ended up at the other side of morrwind.
I would certainly remember if i fell from the "disc", meeting the elephants and walking on the turtles shell, but that didn't happen.

I think if you reach certain coordinates, they are just reseted to their opposite values.