Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
more music
03-07-2006, 12:14 AM,

Drat. I had the feeling that would be the answer, but music copyright stuff is odd sometimes so I figured that it was worth a shot. Either way, I think that we should try to make the Morrowind music similar in tone to the old stuff just for region continuity.
03-07-2006, 02:23 AM,

I know we have heard the title, but we don't know much about implementation yet. If any of you get the newsletter, they had a thing in there about the sound, and the demos are of some ambience. I wonder if there might not be more areas that simply have ambience, and no music at all.

Speaking of which, I wonder what we could do about some morrowind ambience for ST....
03-07-2006, 06:45 AM,

I guess the implementation is not much different from MW. There were music folders for different occassions (basicaly exploration, battle and special), but you could also use music through scripts (which I did for the temple and when the player entered Reich Parkeep).
Squirrel, squirrel, canst thou see? There?s a Snow Elf behind thee!
03-07-2006, 12:34 PM,

I've enjoyed the music very much. It would make a perfect fit to the new mods.
Morrowind Insurance Company. Now with Horse & Guar Insurance! :goodjob:

Ask about our Adventurer's Life Policy (sorry, it does not cover companions that you push off cliffs, throw into Oblivion gates, or eaten by that nearby hungry troll :eek: )
03-07-2006, 11:25 PM,

Thx everyone for your coments on the piece!! I?m very glad you like it!

I agree with Caligula Superfly - I?d like music to fit in with the original music of the game, so as to not seam out of place. But the game?ll be out soon so one will have time to adjust to it Smile so to speak.

Regarding the length of the tracks/songs, I believe many of Morrowinds songs were no longer than 2 mins, tops 3. But there were many of them that sounded similar, sharing melodies and chords, so they sort of continue on one-another. Most film/game music is like that, very worked together and material bridging between the songs.
This piece I thought as an exploration/theme, it obviously would be repetive to have it played over and over but with say 4 exploration songs of 2-3 mins it?d be ok.

I think it would?nt be appropriate to mix different songs from different composers too wildly, one persons songs relate to each other very much in that they share "style" / "sound" , and mixing it with other music can be awkword(sp?). Just my opinion though.

I?d love to make music for Skyrim, Zarkis!!! What I?d like to do is a series of songs, something like 30mins total, and for a specific area, that would be really great!

ps. Since I live in a studio, I have great gear for voicing. I don?t know about my own voice, but my brother (who is?nt a TES-addict like me but is awesome with his mouth Smile ) and a friend of mine speak very good english. I?ll get some samples during the week!

ps2. Tongue Oh, and any other sound related stuff in general I?d like to help out with! I mean, making sound effects etc. When it?s all started we can have a thread going where you can "place orders" for sound-effects you need Smile
Skyrim for Oblivion Music
(last update: December 11 -06) (Nothing is final)...
All comments, suggestions and criticism is welcome!!
03-07-2006, 11:44 PM,

I believe that TESIII had about 40 minutes of music total, including two minutes of Title track. Many people seemed to think that there wasn't enough music produced for that game, so I would suggest aiming for more than 30 minutes total for Skyrim or any other area of TESIV.
03-07-2006, 11:51 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Vrenir
I believe that TESIII had about 40 minutes of music total, including two minutes of Title track. Many people seemed to think that there wasn't enough music produced for that game, so I would suggest aiming for more than 30 minutes total for Skyrim or any other area of TESIV.

Yes you?re right I guess. Lots of music to make, I was thinking you might use some of the games music also, like some of the "combat" and "dungeon-crawling" that is not as area specific as the exploration music for instance.
Depending on how well, if at all it?s possible to make the musics work together like that.

But I agree if you were to replace the original music completely for an area 30 mins is too little.
Indeed Morrowinds music, allthough extremely good, got alittle repetetive...
Skyrim for Oblivion Music
(last update: December 11 -06) (Nothing is final)...
All comments, suggestions and criticism is welcome!!
03-08-2006, 06:18 PM,

EDIT. Forget the first part. I missed the therad in Skyrim forum... Smile

I would love to have your music for Skyrim, but I have to check with Galrina and Danath_in, before you can be promoted to our official Skyrim composer Smile . When it comes to tavern music, getting some celtic instruments and tunes in, would be great.

Noremorse is in charge of sound and voice recording, so he is the guy who would be very interested in the voice of your brother. Sounddesign is something, we could use too. It looks like OB lets you connect sounds with specific cells, not only with a region like in MW, which should give you plenty of areas to play with.
03-09-2006, 07:40 AM,

The song is really really good. It has a Tim Burton, dark magic kind of theme in it. The drums and and low notes on the violin really caught me unaware, really good. At the same time it's not obtrusive and could work well ambiently.

Listened to it over and over about 20 times. Reminds of MW-remixed, aka Oblivion: Silgrad Tower. If I could describe the Forgotten Forest in music this theme would be THE one during the daylight. Or walking an icy road into Skyrim and through the Ancient Gate. Agree with Razorwing here. Also like that you kept the harps minimal, they remind me more of Daggerfall and Bretons.

One point: a team diary showed the audio part of the game and it looked like it was assigned by region this time and you can define geographically where you want a certain music to begin and where to stop.

I think if Oblivion uses this technique of different music groups for individual regions then could Silgrad seem maybe dwarfed or bland if we have for example only 3 exploration themes total?? Maybe we need as many as we can in order to sort through/group them to create a unique feel for a small region. Could add up to maybe 30-40 songs separated by region, city, exploration, dungeon, combat? Or how many would it take?

edit 3/13: the OB soundtrack has 26 songs, majority appear to be separated by region guessing from their titles. Now we know that 30-40 songs would be reaching a little too high. Tongue 26 looking pretty good for a ballpark figure maybe.
"... creatures can survive by eating the fungi and mold which grow on the dungeon's walls and floors." -the sensible dungeon, "Mmmmm"
03-10-2006, 07:47 AM,
RE: more music
Wow, a realy creepy piece! Perfect dungeon atmosphere. Nothing to critizise. :goodjob:

Feel free to make a new thread about your music in the Skyrim section of the board.