Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about size
03-17-2008, 02:09 AM,
question about size
i know that travel speeds in oblivion are faster than in morrowind, so the land seems smaller (and cyrodiil's bowl shape kind of ruins it), but which landmass is bigger (in gameplay, not lore)?
98% of forum-goers say that fast travel ruins Oblivion. Put this as your signature if you are one of the 2% that realize fast travel is optional.
03-17-2008, 02:18 AM,

I think Cyrodiil is larger. Vvardenfell was something like 10 square miles whereas Cyrodiil is 16.
03-17-2008, 06:48 AM,

Correct
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
03-17-2008, 06:30 PM,

Morrowind is 10 sq miles With the not-repeating sea included.

Cyrodiil is considerably larger than the landmass of Vvardenfell, nearing double.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
03-17-2008, 06:46 PM,

Morrowind feels bigger because you couldn't walk 10 metres without coming face-to-face with an impassable mountain. Combined with a walking speed as slow as molasses, morrowind felt pretty darn huge. Until you had constant effect levitate and the boots of blinding speed ofc... Oblivion on the other hand has a much faster movement speed which combined with a lack of any serious obstacles, makes the gameworld feel much smaller. Getting lost in morrowind was suprisingly easy, and a game world you can get lost in is immediately going to feel larger than Oblivion's with its GPS-Questometer and fast-travel. Arguably how large the world feels to the player is more important than how big it actually is, so I wouldn't worry to much about any actual numbers.
03-17-2008, 08:41 PM,

True enuf Alasdair, but for the buffs the release data was as said above:

10sq for Morrowind then the Island of Solstheim was blended into that;
16sq for Cyrodiil + infinity for the Plain of Oblivion (because they claimed it would be generated uniquely each time you went to another area)
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
03-17-2008, 08:55 PM,

There are about 7 different realms of oblivion and 2 or 3 quest related realms of oblivion.
I wonder if the borderlands (like that generated piece of Morrowind, Argonia, Elsweyr,..) of the size of cyrodill is also counted. If so, the size of Cyrodill and MW won't differ much.
03-18-2008, 02:16 AM,

I dont think it is, but then again it is blocked unless you use a mod/ change that one thing. Oblivion can get the feeling with that right mods though, enough mods that take away fast travel and make new lands and you got one hell of a game. =)
Proud Valenwood Modder! :goodjob:
3 claimed
2 finished!
(Soon to be changed!) Big Grin