Silgrad Tower from the Ashes
a Dreugh related questline - Printable Version

+- Silgrad Tower from the Ashes (https://www.silgradmodding.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Archived (closed boards) former hosted projects for Oblivion. (https://www.silgradmodding.net/forum/Forum-Archived-closed-boards-former-hosted-projects-for-Oblivion)
+--- Forum: The Elsweyr Confederacy (https://www.silgradmodding.net/forum/Forum-The-Elsweyr-Confederacy)
+---- Forum: Elsweyr Archive (https://www.silgradmodding.net/forum/Forum-Elsweyr-Archive)
+---- Thread: a Dreugh related questline (/Thread-a-Dreugh-related-questline)

Pages: 1 2

a Dreugh related questline - KuKulzA - 09-27-2006

this is my idea for a Dreugh related quest-line

An old Khajiiti fisherman's daughter stops you in the streets of Senche. She says her father is going mad in his old age and is falling to Sheogorath. She wants your help. She says he is talking to the water as he fishes.
[If you refuse to help obviously the questline ends there.]
The daughter will suggest the healer, a local khajiiti-boy who helps the fisherman with lines and bait every morning, and a local know-it-all Cyrodiilic. Going to the healer, the healer will say nothing is wrong. The Cyrodiilic will say that the man is just strange, nothing strange about that when concerning Khajiits (this guy is looking to be beat up), and the young Khajiit will say that the old fisherman talks to something in the water.
When report back to the woman, she will be distraught, she has not the money for an adept healer of minds and she asks you to talk to the old man.

The old fisherman, when you ask him about his craziness, will laugh and tell you to sit beside him on the pier and wait. When you do, a sort of low gurgling sound will start and some faint and badly mispronounced words will be uttered from a small bubbling area in the water. The old Khajiit will start talking back to the creature. After the conversation, you ask the man what happened and he says it was a Dreugh. For thirty years they had played a game. If the man coul dget the fish or if the Dreugh could. However now they talk to each other instead of secretly trying to catch the other. He tells you it is alright, and asks you to come back tomorrow morning.

When you return the old Khajiit fisherman is gone. The local boy says he jumped into the water and said he was visiting a friend. A Journal entry tells you that you should follow. As soon as you jump in a Dreugh will come to you but not attack. It will then go a distance and wait for you to follow, and keep going. Then it will eventually arrive at an old ruin of large shells, glass and coral, seemingly caves surrounding a large sand-dollar courtyard. The Khajiit is there, suspended in a strange purple-ish bubble. And a Dreugh is conversing with him. The Fisherman spots you and asks you to come closer. The Chief has gone through a second Karvanism. Very old Dreugh will self-incubate and go through Karvinism again, Dreugh, like lobsters, keep growing till they die, which is usually within a few years, but older ones may molt again. The Dreugh say their chief is in trouble and was on land and attacked. They say to go south where there is a grotto near the shore were Khajiiti locals have trapped him and intend to kill him for a feast. You must save the chief. Once you do, a journal entry will tell you to return to the ruins. When you do the small group of Dreugh will let you take any and all pearls in their "coffers". They say that their civilization has no more need for them, their people are so decimated here that their small tribe is considered minute by the smaller tribes of the Abecean Sea and Sea of Ghosts Dreugh.

Talking to the Dreugh again will reveal that one reason for their decline was that their worship of Molag Bal declined and other races began intentionally / unintenionally decimating them when they were on land. The Dreugh therefore could not support the large numbers they once had. Though in Elsweyr they had adapted to the deserts and the jungles, they were still no match for the rising cat-race, more organized and better suited to land than Dreugh. They ask you to clear out their Daedric shrine and bring a Khajiiti skull there. They say if you refuse they will kill the Old Fisherman. The fisherman is dismayed but unsurprised. He says the Dreugh are vengeful and do not forget they were once the greatest power on Nirn and ruled both land and sea. When you clear out an underwater Daedric Shrine with a stature of the Ruddy Man in it (infested with say, sharks) and find a skull by asking around in Senche, the Dreugh will release the fisherman. Your reward is a great conch. It was the symbol of their royalty but it is of no use to them now. It is worth a LOT of gold.

The last quest they have and is optional is to steal their eggs back from a local Dreugh-jigger. The Dreugh hunter has hired many others to help him collect all the eggs on the coast. If all sold and eaten, this could wipe out a whole generation of the already endangered Dreugh colony on the coasts of Eslweyr. The Dreugh ask for you to kill the man and to open the submerged pens near his sea-side home and boat. The area is guarded by locals and the man is definitely well-off. When you open the pens, the eggs will float out into the sea and be collected by Dreugh waiting close to the tidal pools. When you do this, all aquatic Dreugh and that Chief (who will appear as an Aquatic Dreugh back at the ruins/shrine in 2 weeks) will not attack you. The Dreugh say that they cannot account for their land brothers since those Dreugh are naturally young and aggressive and hungry.

- DarkAsmodeous - 09-27-2006

Very well thought out and written.

A couple of things, what happens if you talk to the man early? How does the old man know of the druegh's past? And how do we make the druegh able to speak? Make a race I assume, but it may ctd upon trying to lip sync them.

- KuKulzA - 09-27-2006

how about her cautioning you NOT to speak to the man unless all else fails? that way the player will not want to speak to him, for fear of failing the quest... and I am guessing since the oldie has been interacting with this Dreugh for a long time and is himself a VERY old fisherman (all his life) he would know some of this sorta thing...
and I guess we can just make them talk, but I dunno if you want to get into making a race for them, it might just be unnecessary work...

"For thirty years they had played a game. If the man coul dget the fish or if the Dreugh could. However now they talk to each other instead of secretly trying to catch the other."

if I wasn't clear I mean tthey have a sort of unspoken game. And in truth both wanted to catch each other... like trying to drag the Khajiit in, or the Khajiit trying to tangle the Dreugh on the line... and eventually they started talking, oddly enough

Makes sense. But in order to make them speak, it will involve making them a race as unlike morrowind, the oblivion cs will not allow creatures to talk.

- KuKulzA - 09-27-2006

Quote:Originally posted by DarkAsmodeous
Makes sense. But in order to make them speak, it will involve making them a race as unlike Morrowind, the oblivion cs will not allow creatures to talk.
that is disappointing...
if you wanted to take it easy it would be possible to just make a voice 'appear' where they are located... some scripting though... Confusedhrug:

And the an woud not face the druegh and it would be difficult to ensure the player knew he could "talk" to it.

For stationary Druegh, we just make tiny collision boxes right in front of them.

- KuKulzA - 09-27-2006

well it is up to you guys to work out the technical stuff but I'll be here to advise and tell you guys how I mean if what I said above wasn't clear :goodjob: and I hope this quest-line goes off well... I really thought it through... :yes:

- Arbiter - 09-27-2006

But of course, it was expected from KK to try and get his Dreugh pets in. Big Grin

Jokes aside, it does sound good.

- Green @nt1-n00b - 09-27-2006

erhrem... the player stationary, but able to turn, with the npc's talking like what happens with some quests. my 10c for you Big Grin

- KuKulzA - 09-28-2006

Quote:Originally posted by Arbiter
But of course, it was expected from KK to try and get his Dreugh pets in. Big Grin

Jokes aside, it does sound good.
yea, for those who have been around awhile... I tend to put in bits of Argonian and Dreugh and Orcs on occasion into other mods... in ways that fit nevertheless, but obviously a big fan of them, so it is to be expected..