Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop by and say hello :)
06-24-2005, 03:49 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by jonrd463
Why thank you kindly! We're excited... and scared to death. Wink
[...]
As I said in the PM, that's the basic idea I'm going for. Modular buildings worked great in Morrowind, so there's good reason to believe that's how they did it for Oblivion, too. At this point, I'm modelling whole buildings to get the big picture. I'll either slice them up into sections, or create a template and model the pieces seperately.
[...]
I haven't even begun to think about mapping yet. What I'm using now is a basic procedural texture I whipped up in Photoshop. It's just a dirty Balmora Brown with varying degrees of noise. I wanted to get a general idea of what the finished model would look like. I'm considering getting ahold of Gmax to see if there's any possible way I could set up texture mapping in it so it would hopefully be compatible with 3D Studio. I've never used it myself, but I hear it's basically a watered down 3D Studio.
[...]
While the intention is to have them in Oblivion, it would be pretty cool to see my models in a game now. I'll see what I can do. Bit of bad news, though: in trying to export that second building to 3ds format, the source file somehow became corrupt. The good news is that the creation of the building was a learning process. I'll be able to redo it, and probably better, in about a third of the time now. Smile
[...]
I looked at it, but couldn't figure out exactly what you're talking about. It's probably a trick of the light and/or perspective, because those pylons (I think the proper term may be buttresses. Just not the flying variety seen on gothic cathedrals) are just copies of one model.
[...]
No problem! I hope and look forward to getting involved and adding to the already great mod you guys have built! Thanks for having me. Smile

Well, marriage is one of life's three rituals most people go to - good thing one doesn't really have to worry about the last one Wink I don't know if I'll ever get hitched with my girlfriend, but if I do, I imagine I'd have to be mighty drunk to get up in front of all those people, hehe.

Modelling whole buildings before slicing them is probably the best way to go, I think. That way one knows that they'll line up perfectly. Morrowind also seems to use some kind of invisible buffer around their set pieces, so while no set piece is physically 256x256x256, they'll behave like they are and can be lined up with the snap-to-grid.

Aah, ok; well, mapping only matters right now if you want them to look good in Morrowind. I'd expect Oblivion to be more lenient in regards to textures (here's hoping). The models will work fine from a technical viewpoint in Morrowind without mapping or textures, so I can whip up some NIFs that can be checked out in-game if you want? That wouldn't be a problem Smile And frankly the camera in Morrowind is much easier to use than the camera in 3D Studio max. Just enter "togglecollision" (I think it was) in the console and you can move the camera / player character around freely in all three dimensions around the NIF. Quite handy sometimes.

I've attached an edit of your picture and drawn a crude line around the area that at first looked odd to me. But in hindsight, it probably is the light that played a trick on me, so please disregard what I said Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Stop by and say hello :) - by Razorwing - 06-12-2005, 07:30 AM
[No subject] - by Afrobent - 06-12-2005, 10:01 AM
[No subject] - by Razorwing - 06-12-2005, 10:09 AM
[No subject] - by Fang - 06-12-2005, 10:25 AM
[No subject] - by jonrd463 - 06-24-2005, 12:49 AM
[No subject] - by Razorwing - 06-24-2005, 01:17 AM
[No subject] - by jonrd463 - 06-24-2005, 02:41 AM
[No subject] - by Razorwing - 06-24-2005, 03:49 AM