Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nifskope.
05-07-2011, 01:31 PM,
RE: Thank you so much
Quote:Originally posted by t3h_pwn3r_ii
Dear KP;
Hey you crazy awesome modeler, I am using an updated version of Blender and I have not touched it in ages. It is the latest and my one problem is that it is completely different to the interface, from which this tutorial has been conceived. It is looking different then the ones in ImageShack. I was wondering if you may have gotten the latest Blender and if you have, and you had the time, to maybe show me how to add collision to it. I have learnt how to make stuff from Google SketchUp (which I find is very easy to use) into a Nif. But I and it to bypass through Blender to export and get some collision on it. If you could help then it would be much appreciated. If not, I shall ask that new member, Alex something or rather. He seems to know a bit about Blender. But I felt this was a nice place to ask.
Yours Sincerely;
PWN

Hi PWN,

Firstly, please make a separate thread, for your own technical issues and questions, in same forum section as this current thread we're in. It helps keeps info organized, and makes it so others don't think you're hi-jacking their threads.

Secondly, you can't use the most up-to-date version of Blender (which is Blender 2.5+), because the Blender Nifscripts plugin won't work with it. Blender Nifscripts is what allows Oblivion-type nifs to be exported from Blender.

You need to use Blender 2.49b.

Follow the directions in the linky below, on what to install for Blender (except read my notes further below, first):
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12248

The part where the above linky says:
"(The version 2.49b download (Blender 2.49b, Python 2.6.5, Blender NIF Scripts 2.5.5, NifSkope 1.0.22, PyFFI 1.1.5) is the currently "accepted" version and contains all related files and versions known to work well together.)"

You actually should download:
(Blender 2.49b, Python 2.6.6, Blender NIF Scripts 2.5.7, NifSkope 1.0.22, PyFFI 2.1.9)...but still follow the order of installation in the TesNexus link above.

RE: What Collision Types to Use for Given Circumstances:

I got the following below quote, from SaidenStorm's personal website tutorial, located at: http://sites.google.com/site/saidenstorm...iontutori2

Quote:".....
20) Now some general things

Inertia = the amount of force needed to move an object along any given axis, generally the Exporter will give these decent settings but not always and you may need to increase these if an object refuses to settle

Note: Bouncing and Settling are not the same thing Settling is a problem with Inertia being to low, this is suttle the object will settle move a bit settle jiggle but only slightly -> and Bounding is a problem with Collision Mesh Normals being incorrect, this usually looks like well bouncing all over the place the object never settles just bounces around erraticly.

Generally Debris Collision Shapes are limited to just Primitives and Convex Verts as these types offer the best performance for the least hassles -> the other types are possible to get working as we did above but they possess issues not all related to performance but just the same here is a list of general Object Types to Collision Types used based on performance as they would be used by a Game Developer.

Statics -> Mopps -> Primitives.

Statics = Architecture, Dungeons, Buildings, Rocks, A great deal of the world is made up of this type -> which makes it one of the most important types to get right, Actors walk on this object collide into them and thier faces get tested quite often so its important that these run very smoothly.

AnimStatic -> Primitives -> Convex Verts.

AnimStatic = Animated Objects(Doors, Walls, Elevators, ...), Lobber Projectiles, some Explosions, Anything you want to animate will be in this catagory.

Debris -> Primitives -> Convex Verts.

Debris = Weapon(Ground.nifs), Armor(Ground.nifs), Items and some Activators, alot of general items in this catagory

Note: you will notice the Lack of Packed TriStrips and TriStrips -> that is because Game Developers do not use these ever because their performance is pathetic in all instances they only exist as a base for Mopps, and should be avoided."

When SaidenStorm says:

Statics -> Mopps -> Primitives.

...He means "Static" collision has the best performance by "Mopps", and your second optional choice should be "Primitives" (bhkBoxShape, bhkCapsuleShape, bhkSphereShape). Just apply the same logic sequence to the other phrases for Debris & AnimStatic.

Important Collision Terms:

Mopps = bhkMoppBvTreeShape

Primitives = bhkBoxShape, bhkCapsuleShape, bhkSphereShape (the "simple" or "primitive" shapes)

Convex Verts. = bhkConvexVerticesShape

Now that you know, what collision types to use, for certain circumstances, here's how Blender sets up Oblivion collision:
http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/Blender/Collision

Here are my tweaks to a section quoted from the above linky:

Box: for perfect cubes/boxes, or rectangular shapes. (bhkBoxShape, in Nifskope)( a "primitive" shape)

Sphere: for spheres. (bhkSphereShape, in Nifskope)("primitive")

Cylinder: for capsules (a cylinder with rounded ends; bhkCapsuleShape, in Nifskope)("primitive"). Again, for cylinders, make sure that the main axis corresponds to the local z-axis. If the cylinder's alignment looks alright then you do not need to worry further. If not, rotate your oblong cube in edit mode until the cylinder is displayed properly.

Convex Hull Polytope: for convex shapes. (bhkConvexVerticesShape, in Nifskope)

Triangle Mesh: for arbitrary shapes. (bhkMoppBvTreeShape, in Nifskope; called "Mopps" collision, for short)

Cones: exist in Blender but are not supported by the scripts; if you need them use the convex hull polytope or triangle mesh

Lastly, collision meshes should be as simple, or with as few polygons, as possible, while still covering the object mesh they need to cover. All shapes cannot be further simplified, except for Convex shapes and Triangle/Mopps shapes. I go over ways to simplify collision shapes, in my posts above, to Jinix_the_Elder. So read over those, too.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool

Messages In This Thread
Nifskope. - by Thr33_D0g_4eva - 02-06-2011, 09:14 AM
[No subject] - by Koniption - 02-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Hard for a novice - by Jinix_the_Elder - 02-15-2011, 07:01 AM
RE: Hard for a novice - by Koniption - 02-16-2011, 12:30 AM
RE: Hard for a novice - by Jinix_the_Elder - 02-17-2011, 01:30 AM
[No subject] - by Jinix_the_Elder - 02-18-2011, 04:15 AM
[No subject] - by Lady Nerevar - 02-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Thank you so much - by Jinix_the_Elder - 02-20-2011, 10:42 PM
RE: Thank you so much - by t3h_pwn3r_ii - 05-07-2011, 09:06 AM
RE: Thank you so much - by Koniption - 05-07-2011, 01:31 PM