Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F&F: Official mounts thread
04-09-2007, 04:03 AM,

these things are basically like super big striding ashland fleas... and they drink a lot of water to survive i think

now you poke its brain it move it... but such exposure could have bad effects if it isn't perioridcally fed drugs to keep it regenerating lost brains and keeping up its health.. cause after a time you'd think its brains would be slaved and not much activity there except what its made to do...

and i guess if ya run out of drugs before getting back to the port, the strider just dumbly falls over and kinda dies (after a grossly funny twitching)... and if you BUY a strider I guess they 'teach' you how to maintain it so you don't have the same limitations as with renting, just to make it fair...
technically there ARE wild ones... but the only wild ones you saw in TES3 were dead husks

maybe to make it an incentive NOT to let the Strider die, and NOT to run off with it while renting... if your strider dies, you owe the keeper the equivalent of having to buy one. So basically buy what you broke...
but striders are tough, they usually die if the drug is gone... right? if you are renting
04-09-2007, 04:13 AM,

Another idea that you may or may not like is that, if someone is animating these things anyway, why not have some of them roaming around the grazelands? Even though they'd be passive, wouldn't it be a sight to gaze across your flat grasslands and see these things sauntering in the distance!

What if, as an alternative to paying your debt, you can go and kill a new strider for the owner of the one you've accidentally destroyed from the grazelands? These creatures would presumably be really tough and could probably kill the player simply by stepping on them. It might actually be easier to pay your debt than to kill one of these things.

Also, what do stilt striders eat? Do they even belong in the grazelands? (I've simply presumed they'd fit in best there because there is a decent supply of water (and it doesn't hurt the issue of clipping either to stick them on a vast open, generally level surface Wink

Just another idea Wink
04-09-2007, 04:18 AM,

some claim that Telvanni reanimate dead Striders with necromancy to keep it functional...
VERY expensive... but then you got a NEVER-DIE-TILL-BROKEN-APART gaurantee

maybe that will be an option... extremely expensive and dangerous to get the ritual ingredients...

however striders 'tamed' the normal way last generations so... unless you want an undead one so that it WON'T die, take the less expensive route? Confusedhrug:
04-09-2007, 04:28 AM,

Yeah, I geuss the re-animated version would come in handy if you were going to be gone a long time (or weren't on good terms with the law.)

In any case, I think the whole idea of stilt striders has alot of potential. (If it's feesable to animate something that massive)
04-09-2007, 04:32 AM,

yes... but would require extensive custom animations... which are HARD to get into Oblivion but has been done

in TES3 they were able to mod in one (someone working for Silgrad Tower) but it took a lot of effort to have all 8 legs working properly in sync and it still had a few minor clipping issues... I doubt we will have a perfect one...
04-09-2007, 09:14 PM,

I hate to burst a bubble here, but that would be HARD AS HELL to implement, buts its a good idea!

I wish cyronaut was here......
The rider in black is always watching......
04-10-2007, 11:33 PM,

"HARD AS HELL"

you're not bursting any bubble... we all know it would be hard to implement... it was hard enough making a walking strider for Morrowind, and no one's made a real time one yet neither... if we can we hope to do both....

I think I will PM cryonaut to see if I can draw him back
04-11-2007, 01:48 AM,

You're descended from Sun Yat-sen? We just learned about him in History class, that's pretty damn cool. Or is that a relative term of "ancestors"?

Sorry for bringing that back up from a while ago, but that's pretty cool.
Lol what?
01-05-2008, 05:16 AM,

We could always make those giant jellyfish things mountable :lmao:

Maybe we could get our own silt-strider :tongue:
:banana: <(It's peanut-butter jelly time!)
01-05-2008, 04:00 PM,

Dave had started a silt-strider a while back. He's got self-titled thread over in the Vis Dev board somewhere.