Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hist tree concepts
04-14-2007, 12:54 AM,

ages perhaps, but we want to show how they organically expand, making sure it's distinct from a telvanni growth, probably the farthest thing from it since it is a non magical growth...
05-07-2008, 08:14 AM,

So the Hist..
I need everything about this tree.
Root system,bark size and leaf idea.
So keep it up! :goodjob:
05-11-2008, 12:04 PM,

There's nothing in lore really about the hist other than they're sentient beings, have been around longer that any species of man, mer or beast. And they recognise Sotha or Sothis (not sure) for their religious beliefs.

Alot of the lore has been written in a manner where Hist is used as both a word for a tree that excretes sap and also as an Argonian.

The sap they excrete has many good properties. Intelligence, personality.
They also have a symbiotic relationship with the Argonians, the trees must require this sap removed or the Argonians must supply the tree with something that they do require.

There is nothing that I have read that describes the type of tree that a hist is.
[Image: sig.jpg]
06-06-2009, 10:57 AM,

A bit of thread necomancy from me here because I'd like to consolidate ideas on the Hist following SG raising the topic when exploring options for the Hist shrines. Here are some pics of where my thoughts are on this matter at the moment.

As mentioned elsewhere, the most favoured idea at the moment is of having the tree as a sort of symbiotic source for Argonians in the sense that dead Argonians 'return to the tree' after death. This goes beyond cliched ideas of Ent-like 'tree-men' and gnarled 'Sleepy Hollow' trees and towards having pods or suckers, more human-like shapes and a thick canopy such as those of the Dragon's Blood trees of Yemeni (although much bigger and not quite so neatly 'tied in' as such a tree). 'Pod-like' ideas have been suggested in concept art before on the subject of Paatru architecture and Glok-Chuba but they might be echoed here as well.

In addition, Koniption and I have discussed the possibility of combining a Speedtree with the animated mesh of a 'tree bole' to create the illusion of undulation...perhaps like that of writhing limbs or facial features...
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
08-23-2009, 04:29 AM,

We think that tree-men-ish designs would be cool but Argonia is not populated by men but lizard people. Maybe this is crazy but what if the Hist trees had lizard characteristics? Scaly bark or pasty, sticky leaves, or even argonian facial features. Maybe some even have egg like spores.
08-23-2009, 07:12 AM,

But there is a hist in the Fighters guild quests... When you get to destroy the BlackWoodCompany
08-23-2009, 09:47 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by DoZeNt
But there is a hist in the Fighters guild quests... When you get to destroy the BlackWoodCompany

I refer you to KK's post just above: Hist tree concepts . I'm in agreement with KK on this and we also have Senten's glorious Hist trees.

The reason I posted the stuff above is because I thought that maybe they could be even better. I like SF's ideas. I think that could work nicely but in practical terms it might prove really tough to produce. KP and I have discussed a few other options such as creating a main tree and then a separate model for the base of the tree like we did with the mangroves. This way we can create tree boles and knots of the kind suggested by SF.

The real problem, however, is in making such a model and then fitting it with a really convincing texture. As they're Hist trees (and there wouldn't be many of them) it would be worth increasing the poly count more than normal in order to achieve the extra detail...but it would need to be exceptional work seeing as the Hist tree is perhaps the most important model we could have.

Personally, I'm happy with Senten's trees but the idea of having boles and knots could still be done at their base.....it would also be nicer to have a broader canopy at the top....but I don't see how they could be adapted without screwing up the interweaving branches of Senten's model.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
01-24-2010, 06:51 AM,

Hey I came up with this concept for a hist tree. It's basically a more extensive and complex version of one of Senten's versions. I added more limbs, sap pods, tree veins, dripping sap, and some glow dust around the tree (preferably purple and green) and took SwedishFish's idea and added an orb-like object in the center. I also came up with the idea that the orb can be sentient and communicate with the player but perhaps in it's own language. Obviously this is very complex and some may not be able to be done, but I figure that the Hist trees require some depth as a key piece of BM. I haven't colored the actual trunk and limbs because I am open to the idea of giving it and Argonian skin-like texture. I also like the idea of having a Great Hisp tree and would prefer this concept to be it if anything. Please criticize and let me know of the flaws as there is bound to be some.

[Image: HistTree.jpg]
"Blood alone moves the wheels of history!"
01-24-2010, 07:26 PM,

I like it a lot. Just a quick point: it's a 'Hist' tree, not a 'Hisp' tree. I really appreciate the way you developed on Senten's original design though. The problem is that creating these extra features will be troublesome as the trees in OB are created as .spt (Speedtree) models which is the only way that swaying in the breeze is made possible. Adding other features to such a model is not possible (as far as I'm aware) using the Speedtree program. However, another model can be created that can be placed at the centre of the tree boughs and, of course, textures can be altered.

I don't know about whether it's possible to get dripping sap but it would be a fantastic sight if it were made possible...thanks (and hello) Piscasis! =)
01-24-2010, 07:29 PM,

I agree with IG - nice drawing! :goodjob: Dripping sap would be really cool as well!

I imagined the trunk to be a lot thicker, more like an Oak, and with extensive roots that twist around the environment - in fact, perhaps there could be some homes made out of large parts of the roots.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]