Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthology of hard-to-find CS tips
12-20-2006, 04:28 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
I'm stupid, so what does "bAllowMultipleEditors" do?

Presumably it lets you start more than one instance of the program, so you for instance could work on two mods simultanously.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
12-20-2006, 05:36 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
I'm stupid, so what does "bAllowMultipleEditors" do?

Presumably it lets you start more than one instance of the program, so you for instance could work on two mods simultanously.

All my problems are solved! Time to make all 8 of my mods at once!
01-27-2007, 01:44 PM,

here's all i have to offer- When working with caves, and probably forts (haven't made any forts so i can't say) if you start the first piece at 0,0,0, you can right click on the greyness and select render window properties -then change snap to grid to 64. For some reason, the lengths for all of the cave pieces are also exponents of 2 (4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024, ect) So if you change the grid to 64, it becomes much much easier to place pieces correctly. Just my one and only tip.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
01-27-2007, 02:02 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
here's all I have to offer- When working with caves, and probably forts (haven't made any forts so I can't say) if you start the first piece at 0,0,0, you can right click on the greyness and select render window properties -then change snap to grid to 64. For some reason, the lengths for all of the cave pieces are also exponents of 2 (4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024, ect) So if you change the grid to 64, it becomes much much easier to place pieces correctly. Just my one and only tip.
Good tip. Smile

It depends on the tileset. The snap to grid should be between 32 and 128.

For example the basement tileset: The position is incremented in steps of 256. So 64 or 128 would be the best choice.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
01-27-2007, 08:35 PM,

if you cant figure out whats wrong with a script & need to go away form the cs (no you cant make me.. nooooooo precious!!!) save the script on notepad & close the script.

when having trouble with npc face creation, take a break, & start looking at pictures of people (only reason i look in magazines) in that gender who look like what you want in the game. pretty soon you may figure out what you need to change on your npc. I actually applied what i was doing with cs facegen to real life & figured out (finaly) what particular features i find atractive in girls. Smile

when working on a script, keep a a fairly updated copy of it in notepad & also use the following commands: [ctrl] + [A], [Ctrl] + [C] to copy all your work. more frequently than you paste ([ctrl] + [V]) into your notepad, just keep a copy of your script coppied.

keep cs wiki running on ie in the background. it helps now and then.

learn all the keyboard shorts.

had a few other tips but i cant remember'em now...
Quote:A_flyboy: p.s. teabagging banana! ==>:bananarock:<== oh no a michal jackson class noob!!!!!!
final reclaimer: woohoo MC teabag time
Quote:Arbiter
Hmm.... the Guar Chief speaks of epic en devour. Big Grin
01-30-2007, 02:36 AM,

My turn! When doing exteriors, press "B" to see the individual cellls outlined in yellow. Looks like this: http://www.morrowind-oblivion.com/oblivi..._small.jpg
My mage is an honor student at the Arcane University.
01-30-2007, 02:47 AM,

Ooh that's really cool. I almost wish i was doing exteriors just so i could try it out. That's what we have this here for i guess. Although someday this should probably be formed into an FAQ so that all of the useless posts (such as this one) can be removed and the information is more organized
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
01-31-2007, 02:57 AM,

nice.

my best advice to wannabe scripters:
1 learn a little basic C++ programming. it helps.
2 think of learning the script language as if you were learning klingon, that is a language not even remotely from the same planet as you. there are many guides but no UTs. fact is, it is a whole different language. just think about this: the grammatical structure of the script language is not random. it is very structured. (*starts to wonder why my english grade always sux* *remembers "s'wit" handwriting* oh right)
3 try writing scripts down on paper before you make them in the cs. i always do that for the script as well as the whole idea/quest.
4 probably the best thing to do is to toy around. even if at first you make the most petty, stupid scripts.
5 try to find & learn from other peoples scripts. I SAID LEARN FROM NOT STEAL. my dad said this to me once on learning spanish: "the best way to learn a language is to emerse yourself in a culture of that language."
Quote:A_flyboy: p.s. teabagging banana! ==>:bananarock:<== oh no a michal jackson class noob!!!!!!
final reclaimer: woohoo MC teabag time
Quote:Arbiter
Hmm.... the Guar Chief speaks of epic en devour. Big Grin
02-05-2007, 11:41 PM,

And now seniosh's noob tip of the day!
to use a reference in script, you have to check "persistant reference" on the object in the CS. Not the base object, but you have to go into the view screen, find the placed object, click on it, ect. I wouldn't be suprised if most of the guys posting here knew that already, but i didn't! (made scripting super fun for a half-hour)

Something else! in the CS, to select multiple things, ctrl click instead of shift-click! Why can't people just use some standard? I only figured this out by accident
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
02-15-2007, 01:35 PM,

How one can add a kf animation file to the animation tab in NPC window (I'm trying to create new one and I don't know how I can put a kf file into the animation list lol)
Michal Cielecki
Composer for Games and Media
http://www.michalcielecki.com

-------------------------------------

Akavir's Island Mod Music