Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why Blacklight? why the name?
06-13-2006, 12:39 AM,
why Blacklight? why the name?
this is just a not so constructive thread...
why is it called Blacklight?

my wild guess is that long ago, a meteor fell from the sky in this spot, and the Redoran built a city around or near it, and as the fragments of the dark space-rock glowed, they called it Black-light... what do you guys think?
06-13-2006, 01:22 AM,

Space... blegh... perhaps an everburning black flame? I like fire.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
06-17-2006, 04:16 AM,

black fire?
I dunno... maybe the Dwemer gave the Redoran a HUGE keg of pyroil tar that would last centuries... (and plus it burns for a long time) and it burned an oily black smoke with bright orange-red fire...
they were given this as a beacon to warn against Nords... ?

maybe? Confusedhrug:
06-17-2006, 04:29 AM,

The devs thought it sounded cool, exotic, and imposing while creating Arena. Perfect for the land of the dunmer. I think it had something to do with magic though, don't know exactly what though, but ancient magic having to do with"Black Light" is always interesting.
06-17-2006, 04:34 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Siegfried
The devs thought it sounded cool, exotic, and imposing while creating Arena. Perfect for the land of the dunmer. I think it had something to do with magic though, don't know exactly what though, but ancient magic having to do with"Black Light" is always interesting.
yeah... maybe they learned to use UV lights... "black light"
06-17-2006, 06:05 AM,

It's called Blacklight because that is the original name from Arena. This may help

Edit: My server is not allowing me to get the map up. I'll get it to you Wink
Morrowind Insurance Company. Now with Horse & Guar Insurance! :goodjob:

Ask about our Adventurer's Life Policy (sorry, it does not cover companions that you push off cliffs, throw into Oblivion gates, or eaten by that nearby hungry troll :eek: )
06-17-2006, 02:19 PM,

Can't hurt to ask, I hope Smile -> http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index...pic=479226 Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-17-2006, 10:09 PM,

as gez said, i think the name relates to auroras. i think i rember reading so somewhere at some time.... (but then again, i may be confucing it)
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
06-17-2006, 10:39 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
as gez said, I think the name relates to auroras. I think I rember reading so somewhere at some time.... (but then again, I may be confucing it)

His idea isn't bad, but what I was mostly curious was if there was any evidence or indications from Bethesda about the name. If there isn't any I bet we (or Rodan) can think of a good explanation.

My own theory (which I think I came up with back in late -01 when I was planning to mod Blacklight for Morrowind; I didn't discover Morrowind as a player, I decided to get involved in it rather than NWN because it sounded like it was better suited to what I wanted to mod) was that the town was controlled by evil mages, who had created a device in the center of town that kept the city shrouded in a dark permanent night. I.e. the device emanated black light.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-17-2006, 10:41 PM,

well, my real problem with that idea is that its uber. not everything has a profound and historicly segnificant reason for its naming.

beth most likley had no reason what so ever to name balcklight blackligh (or any otehr city its name) becase the names were mostly name-gen names.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era