Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why Blacklight? why the name?
06-17-2006, 10:52 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
well, my real problem with that idea is that its uber. not everything has a profound and historicly segnificant reason for its naming.

beth most likley had no reason what so ever to name balcklight blackligh (or any otehr city its name) becase the names were mostly name-gen names.

Back then I didn't know anything about Elder Scrolls and had planned to split the town in three parts between Argonians, Nords and Dunmer who warred with each other. Wink
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-18-2006, 01:39 AM,

hey, though not very TES it would be interesting...

would be like putting dwarves, elves, men, and orcs (lord of the rings) all together in a small prison cell... haha... hahaha
06-18-2006, 01:53 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
would be like putting dwarves, elves, men, and orcs (lord of the rings) all together in a small prison cell... haha... hahaha

He he he. Thinking about that makes me think of at least five very indecent "my precious" jokes :elk:
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
06-18-2006, 10:57 PM,

Quote:My own theory (which I think I came up with back in late -01 when I was planning to mod Blacklight for Morrowind; I didn't discover Morrowind as a player, I decided to get involved in it rather than NWN because it sounded like it was better suited to what I wanted to mod) was that the town was controlled by evil mages, who had created a device in the center of town that kept the city shrouded in a dark permanent night. I.e. the device emanated black light.

When I was first admitted into TR they let me keep the name Blacklight when I claimed the area. When I was an administrator I was letting members use a lore name for different villages, towns, and cities. The only name I actually argued in Morrowind was Dragon Glade, the member there wanted to change it. So a lot of these 'lore names' did not match the ones from the original Arena. There actually was no "Port Telvannis" in the original as well but was designed as well. It may have been in a book in Daggerfall or Morrowind but was never included in the original.

I never wanted to stick to the strickness of Arena, things have to evolve, but sticking to the letter of the lore does not help anyone.
Morrowind Insurance Company. Now with Horse & Guar Insurance! :goodjob:

Ask about our Adventurer's Life Policy (sorry, it does not cover companions that you push off cliffs, throw into Oblivion gates, or eaten by that nearby hungry troll :eek: )
06-19-2006, 10:28 AM,

Port Telvannis (and most of the other geographical features of Morrowind outside of Vvardenfell) comes from the developers' concept map, which was made in the early day of Morrowind's development, when they intended to make the whole province.
http://til.gamingsource.net/maps/concept_morrowind.jpg
Then they chose to just make Vvardenfell, surrounded by infinisea, and the design map was changed to this:
http://til.gamingsource.net/maps/vvardenfell_map.jpg
Which is more familiar.
06-19-2006, 11:05 AM,

Not to make an argument of it. There was no Port Telvannis in the original Arena game. It was added later. The development of the city was designed by TR, not Bethsoft. We have a team that wants to recreate the city for Oblivion but it will take awhile.

Ask about our Adventurer's Life Policy (sorry, it does not cover companions that you push off cliffs, throw into Oblivion gates, or eaten by that nearby hungry troll :eek: )
06-20-2006, 07:48 AM,

Something interesting cropped up in the ESF thread.

Ananke-Mormo said:
[blockquote]The Arena document about King Bubba and such suggested that Blacklight and Firewatch both got their names from the mountain between them.[/blockquote]
What do you guys make of it? I haven't heard about 'King Bubba' before.
Angel mired in filth
06-20-2006, 04:45 PM,

the name comes from this document: http://til.gamingsource.net/goblades.shtml

as stated in the link provided, "Whenever formatting placeholders for ruler's name and title were used in the file, I've inserted a generic name and title." the intros themselves were pulled from a text file that was never incluided in tes1.

so, thank god, there was no king bubba *hopefully*
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
06-20-2006, 05:51 PM,

I've been playing computer games for a long time. There is no "King Bubba". I have as well searching through the Daggerfall towns and cities that have no use to the main quest. That name does not appear either.

06-20-2006, 06:03 PM,

I was about to post an image of Bubba from Forrest Gump.