Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3DS Library Readme
06-10-2005, 09:07 PM,
3DS Library Readme
This is a readme for Morel's 3DS Library. Please don't upload models as attachments on this board - kindly use gallery.silgrad.com for that. Practical hints on how to upload can be found here.

Welcome to the 3DS Library, where participants of the MOREL project uploads 3D Studio Max models, which can later be exported to a format useable with Oblivion.

royalblue[/hr]

A few short rules

1. Collections

A "collection" is a group of models
you have made which have a com-
mon theme. Three flowers would
constitute a collection.

If you want, you can start a new thread on this board where you showcase the models you have uploaded to the library. If you do that, please choose a common theme for your showcase. Let's say you're named Annie and you've just uploaded three pieces of furniture to the library, well, then you can just call your thread "Annie - Furniture Showcase" and show them here. Anything you want to call them which makes sense and encompasses them is great. If you uploaded three furniture pieces and two flowers and are thinking of how to make them fit together... don't Wink Just start two threads, or as many as you want to categorize them in.

By doing this we make the work easier on us in the future as we can categorize the items in more detail than the library is capable of (and without making the library unnecessarily complex).

2. Rules for uploading to the library

- Please don't upload models that are inappropriate for an Elder Scrolls setting, like a machine gun or office hi-rise is. Everything general fantasy it perfectly okay. When in doubt... please DO upload =)

- Don't upload models you haven't made yourself, no matter how cool they are. That includes converted models from other Elder Scrolls games, as Bethesda has informed us we're not allowed to use them in our Oblivion mods. We don't want to go against Bethesda's wishes, especially not on a copyright issue.

- In the unlikely event you have a model that exceeds the upload limit, please email it to razorwing@silgrad.com and I'll get it on the server through the back door.

3. Ideal archive.

The ideal archive would...

- ...contain the max model :o)

- ...contain a screenshot (in jpeg format) so the model can be quickly checked out

- ...be named with your name, model title, and version number or creation date. For example "razorwing_Hlaalu_Fireplace_050514.zip". Anything is fine, though, as long as your name begins the title as it's much easier to sort downloaded archives that way.

- ...contain a readme which at least has contact information to you. Personally I try and include a "downloaded from silgrad.com" standardized text doc in my zips so people know it comes from here. The zip files tend to get distributed outside the scope of this place, and if someone comes across it on an FTP server somewhere, they would have no idea where it came from, or who to ask for permission to use it, et cetera. So it'd be in your interest to include that reference, but it's not something we force.

- ...contain a Morrowind-compatible .NIF file so it can be checked out and used in TES 3.

- ...be compressed either using WinZip (enhanced deflate .zip), or using 7-Zip (compressed into a self-extracing .exe). 7-Zip usually achieves the best compression of any zip program, particularly on binary files, and the .exe option means that downloaders don't need that program in order to extract the files. But really, you can use any format, as long as you don't post naked .max models, which are usually very bloated. We have unlimited bandwidth, but downloaders don't, and the faster they get it downloaded the better.

4. "He he ok man I'll do that and include the .NIF, and use you as a free place to host my Morrowind model..."

Yaay! :banana:

You are absolutely free to do that, as long as the .max model is included and you link to the data entry page for your model, not the direct link to the archive.

5. Reference

For information on MOREL, please see:
morel.silgrad.com[URL]
[url=http://www.silgrad.com/cpo/_content/show_index.php?nr=1159&directory=morel&flag=archiv]Practical hints for uploading
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]