Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
editing an older .max file?
06-12-2005, 05:59 AM,
editing an older .max file?
I wasn't sure where to post this, but as there is a potential for a resource, I'll post here. Here's the thing, redwoodtreesprite has the .max files for the skycity resource by _fidel. Here's a post at ESF, where I've asked if someone could simplify the model for Morrowind to cut down on FPS hit. Razorwing has shown an interest in having this resource for Oblivion, so I was wondering if it would be possible to use this max file to simplify it and possibly update it so that it's editable in newer versions of 3dsmax and/or other programs. I know nothing of this so I need to hear from more experienced 3dsmax-ers.
Where does the light come from? ...
The same place as the music
-----
Mods Downloads
06-12-2005, 06:14 AM,
RE: editing an older .max file?
Quote:Originally posted by kalikut
I wasn't sure where to post this, but as there is a potential for a resource, I'll post here. Here's the thing, redwoodtreesprite has the .max files for the skycity resource by _fidel. Here's a post at ESF, where I've asked if someone could simplify the model for Morrowind to cut down on FPS hit. Razorwing has shown an interest in having this resource for Oblivion, so I was wondering if it would be possible to use this max file to simplify it and possibly update it so that it's editable in newer versions of 3dsmax and/or other programs. I know nothing of this so I need to hear from more experienced 3dsmax-ers.

I'll be happy to do what I can :banana:

There's a feature in 3D Studio Max called "Optimize" and can be used to a greater or lesser extent to scale back the number of polygons. I used it with good results on a palm tree (which became a potted plant in Silgrad Tower: Morrowind), and while I don't remember the exact numbers I think I got it down from 2,000 faces to 400 or so, which is very manageable for an interior.

If you can get hold of it for me, I'll check it out in max and try different things.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-14-2005, 01:37 AM,

Hmm, either I completely misread your post, or you've edited it since the last time I read it. Check the thread I linked above, there's a temporary download link for the max file from redwoodtreesprite. The_inwah has already tried editing it, which you will also find on that thread some different downloads of the nif. Redwoodtreesprite may release a resource with the three different sizes, with a lower poly count, that were made.

Edit: here's the YouSendIt link:
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0V17H...JSOQ1JN5ZP
-----
Mods Downloads
06-14-2005, 05:33 PM,

Hmm, either I completely misread your post, or you've edited it since the last time I read it. Check the thread I linked above, there's a temporary download link for the max file from redwoodtreesprite. The_inwah has already tried editing it, which you will also find on that thread some different downloads of the nif. Redwoodtreesprite may release a resource with the three different sizes, with a lower poly count, that were made.

Edit: here's the YouSendIt link:
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0V17H...JSOQ1JN5ZP

I didn't see the download link in the ESF discussion, but I've downloaded it now and will check it out later Smile
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
06-16-2005, 11:27 AM,

I checked out the sky_city model and indeed, it is very complex for being a model for use in Morrowind.

I sliced the model into many smaller ones and saved each slice both as 3ds and NIF. I read that a lot of people had had problems opening the 3ds model, but for me it worked fine (3DS v 4.2), and I thought that by exporting it to NIF you could both use it right away as well as the slices being importable into more 3DS versions. The 2004 NIF importer for example works with 3DS v 5.x.

Everything is here

My thought behind it was that if you started working with the "main base" model, you could then add the sliced components you wanted by hand. So instead of having a circle with, say, 20 pillars "hardcoded" into the model, like the original did, you can set up five or ten as how many you want.

I've included the Tentacles and Cables on the download page for completion's sake, as I read that you didn't want them.

Either there is a problem with the original model or two textures was missing from the download I was given. See this picture of the original model. The tentacles lack texture, but as you don't want to use those that doesn't matter, however; if you scan the picture a bit upwards, past the tentacles and past the first module, you see the chrome-like cylinders where there isn't a texture. If I understand 3DSM correctly, it was because that mesh didn't have a map. (this model is made up of many meshes, as any complex structure should be)

Now, I'm not an expert at modelling so when you check out the NIFs you might find they act strangely. I think it's because I cut out a large mesh, for instance a ring of 20 pillars, then deleted the 19 other pillars and tried to move the 1 pillar to the center of the grid. But I think that 1 pillar still thinks it is part of a ring, and if you rotate it, it might swing in an axis according to its old position. If you find that too hard to work with I think I can fix it.

I exported the NIF's with the option of 'keeping the original files' as textures. So you might need to hack the NIFs and supply the real directory paths to the textures. Or, if you want, I can re-export the NIFs with textures included in the NIF. It makes them much larger, and the textures are saved redundantly many times as many slices share texture, but if you don't mind about that then I'm sure NIF's with included textures are easier to work with. I'd also speculate that with a good zip program, the redundant textures would compress extremely well.

Let me know what you think.
Angel mired in filth
06-16-2005, 12:53 PM,

to fix that rotating about wierd axis' problem you described: select that mesh and under the hierarchy tab select effect pivot only and click center to mesh.
06-16-2005, 01:09 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Smight
to fix that rotating about wierd axis' problem you described: select that mesh and under the hierarchy tab select effect pivot only and click center to mesh.

Aah ok thanks for the tip! I'll fix them next time I'm in Max Big Grin

Edit: The downloads have been updated.
Angel mired in filth
06-16-2005, 04:44 PM,

I'll check it out. Thanks for doing this. Smile
-----
Mods Downloads
06-16-2005, 04:50 PM,

I'll check it out. Thanks for doing this. Smile

Np. I just finished updating the downloads following Smight's great tip.
Angel mired in filth
06-16-2005, 05:01 PM,

I've got an error with the nif files. There's a yellow exclamation in the CS and I'm unable to open the nif files as usual. I get this error:

Quote: Runtime error!
D:\BETHES~1\MORROW~1\backup\BKF_TO~1\NIFTEX~1.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.
-----
Mods Downloads