Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silgrad Towers guide for an in-game map.
10-16-2006, 07:38 PM,
Silgrad Towers guide for an in-game map.
[1ST]S[/1ST]ilgrad Towers guide for an in-game map.

As promised in this link
I succeeded in solving the problem of the in-game map.

A custom in-game map.

The usable dimensions and the cell coordinates can be changed (depending on the map you're using).

Step 1.

Place the map (GreenMap.dds, see below for the link) in the correct directory "\data\textures\menus\map\world\".

Step 2.

Load the Oblivion esm in the CS.

Go to the World menu and select the submenu "Worldspaces..".
Select Tamriel (screenshot).

In the map data section click on the button "menus..." etc.
Select the map in the "\data\textures\menus\map\world\(GreenMap.dds)" directory.

In this case the map has the same size as Tamriel so you don't have to change the usable dimensions and the cell coordinates.

Step 3.

Save the esp.

Step 4.

Open the esp with a hex editor (screenshot).

Change the following code (find the following text: "menus\map\world\GreenMap.dds").

Change the "m" (6D in hex) from ["m"enus\map\world\GreenMap.dds] to an "M" (4D in hex).

Step 5.

Save the file in the hex editor.

Step 6.

Select the esp and check in-game.
You'll see the map with the correct location of the PC.

Resuming.

I also used another map (bigger) and changed the usable
dimensions and the cell coordinates, as per requirement. This worked fine.

Don't merge it to an esm (leave the changing of the map in an esp).
If you do, your esm alters the oblivion esm and you'll see weird things (in-game screenshot).

I used a map made by Kosomot (WiP).

In-game map esp.

This thread shows how to make the in-game map visible not how to adjust it. The adjustment (coordinates) also depends on the image for the map (dds file) and so on.

e
s
t

sandor has attached these images (downsized versions):
[Image: tn_attachment-5512.jpg] [Image: tn_attachment-5513.jpg] [Image: tn_attachment-5514.jpg] [Image: tn_attachment-5515.jpg]
Worldspaces.jpg (142 KB) Before.jpg (141 KB) Fixed.jpg (141 KB) Altered esm.jpg (153 KB)
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
10-17-2006, 06:19 AM,

:applause:

Kudos for uncovering the process, and thankyou for an informative tutorial Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-17-2006, 06:39 PM,

finaly

great job man
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
10-22-2006, 01:29 AM,

or... the easier way:

change your 'menus' folder to 'Menus' then reselect the map in your esp file.

[one hand claps]

Next on your list of the many many things you need to figure out to get your landmass mod to work is to figure out why merging your esp to an esm deletes the land. Hopefully this one won't take you as long to figure out.
10-22-2006, 12:59 PM,

Razorwing and Lady Nerevar. Thank you. Smile

---[/HR]

@Oht_Nought
Please don't tell me (or us) what I (or we) have to do.
Thank you.

--[/HR]

Quote:Originally posted by Oht_Nought
change your "menus" folder to "Menus" then reselect the map in your esp file.
I didn't use the method as suggested by you for one simple reason.
You change the name of the directory which could lead to other problems, in-game. It's possible there are no other side-effects but I am not willing to spend (checking) more time on this subject.

To be safe, use this method (only changing the esp) and it's faster.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
10-22-2006, 03:43 PM,

Nah, there is no side-effect when changing the 'm' to an 'M.' If you want, after you reselect the map in the esp you can change your 'M' back to an 'm.' All that matters it that there is a capital letter 'M' in the directory path in the 'World Space' window. This can easily be tested when you have someone else run the esp, whos menus folder does not have a capital 'M.' As you've discovered, it's a simple case of the directory path being caps sensitive when looking for the map. Your little Hex edit is a nice...complicated work around, but entirely not necisary.

And, I'm not telling you what you 'need' to do; I'm telling you what is necisary to figure out if you want to complete your mod (which is not an opinion, but a hard truth for any large land mass project). So, best of luck Wink
02-01-2007, 06:51 PM,

Quote:Originally written by b3w4r3, Jan 25 2007, 03:25 AM on the BSF

Quote:QUOTE(PoHa! @ Jan 25 2007, 12:04 AM)

Not so. Change the M of the folder 'menus' to uppercase, and make sure that the CS recognizes it as uppercase.

Then everyone that installs your mod has to change their menus folder to match. I'll stick with the hex edit.

Not to mention you screw up everyone elses mod that changes it in a hex editor the way it should be done...It's our job as modders to work around the short commings of the CS, not have the users change folder names just to get one mod that does things the wrong way to work.
It's fine as long as you change the 'M' back to 'm'.

blue[/HR]
EDIT 21.03.10

1. Load the esm or esp into TES4Edit, go to your worldspace and change the 'm' from 'menus' to 'M' (capital) --> save the file.

2. Or rename the 'menus' directory (textures\menus\map\world) to 'Menus'.
    Load the map into the CS and save, then rename the 'Menus' directory to 'menus'.

3. Use the hex editor.
I prefer 1, it's faster.

Related info.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD