Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP 7.0 - Imperial Strikes Back! (Bug Report)
08-04-2006, 05:19 AM,
RP 7.0 - Imperial Strikes Back! (Bug Report)
--Note: This list is no longer up to date, please search for a more recent version on the Dungeon forum--

(Forgive some of my terrible late night sense of humour please)

(TheImperialDragon)

Okay, I decided to become a beta tester (hehe) and I've got a few bugs to report:

1. Stacking troubles

http://static.filefront.com/images/perso...glhwfw.jpg

This is why you shouldn't stack objects in Oblivion... because of Havok...

Forget what house this was, but it's in the South Imperial District.

2. Bad textures

I'm not sure if this is a custom model or not, but I think it needs to be redone...

3. Grassy sidewalk near unearthed equipment store...

Just need to make sure that the grass doesn't stick OUT of the sidewalk. Smile

4. Unearthed Equipment store, reposition the axe.

5. Just a minor typo.

6. One of the basements of a claim doesn't have a name... Not sure which, sorry.

7. Never use havok objects underneath a candle, use candlepuddles or static plates.

http://static.filefront.com/images/perso...bijbuy.jpg

8. The Legion house door needs to be rotated properly (I think it's the legion house anyway, the name of the guy's house is in the screenie)

9. Always leave a small amount of room between surfaces and small havok objects, such as this fork (or parchment, kitchen utencils, quills...) or they may fall through the table. At least that seems to always be what happens to me. Always test it in the CS with the Havok button, then reposition it afterwards.

http://static.filefront.com/images/perso...wbjuil.jpg

Again, I do not know which house, sorry again, probably the same house as #8.

10. Not sure if this is a bug, but the mug shouldn't be a quest icon, use the settlement/misc icon instead.

11: Fixed

12: Fixed

13: Fixed

14. Not really a bug, or minor one, but these clothes really look out of place.

http://static.filefront.com/images/perso...sehrfq.jpg

15. noremorse is right about a major framerate loss on the bridge. I think it only started happening this Alpha, but it doesn't have anything to do with render, because looking at nothing at all (ie the sky) doesn't really help increase the framerate. Maybe a collision and havok conflict is causing this?

16. Not a bug, but my own question, what's with the boar?

Edit NR: There are many pictures in this thread, it may take a little time to load.

Edit TID: I fixed that for... myself. That's better. Smile

-----------------------

(TheImperialDragon)

SCREENS ARE IN POST 12.

17. ( screens 1 & 2 )

Strange, when I loaded this with the LOD, I had a problem with the textures, but more importantly, a lot of land just vanished. ?(

18. Texture conflict, probably something to do with the model, but I think this is the kind of thing we need for the banners (however you did these, Razorwing). (See screen 3.)

RE: # 15.

It would seem that this loss of framerate only happens when you exit the Imperial Districts. When I go to the wall and come back, the framerate is well within reason.

19. Collision on small bridge needs a little adjustment.

----------------------
(noremorse)

I just confirmed TID's experience regaining the framerate by moving far away and coming back. Mine normalized as well, so I did a little checking around as well.

20. A similar texture problem. It seems when one of the alphas overlaps, it takes out another texture.
http://gallery.silgrad.com/albums/userpi...ot30~0.jpg

21. I hate seeing this every time I walk by. =)

22. Another model flaw. It's not that way on the right side.
http://gallery.silgrad.com/albums/userpi...Shot37.jpg

23. First is a screen of blocky and bad looking underbelly of a parasol. Second is the good one. Wink
Also, in the second picture, notice that it only shows up on the left side of the parasol and not the right. The texture isn't on the backside of that face.
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
08-04-2006, 05:27 AM,

good finds....

but the Boar belongs there... cute guy, he's a mascot and potty trained.... he poops on the red X... the bleeding barrel is when he snuch into the cellar... the guy who spelled "acctually" wrong was actually scared by the boar and stuttered, and basically the boar goes around messing with stuff making it seem like havoc is doing weird stuff Wink
08-04-2006, 06:17 AM,

Thanks TheImperialDragon, I'll look into the bugs tomorrow.

The X has been bugging me since I started using it. (It's a stock object) It should be invisible but isn't. I'll look into that. I used to hide them below ground but they seem to have surfaced since then.
HeIsTheDarkness, do you happen to know if it causes AI problems when hiding the markers below the ground like I used to do?

Bethesda has plenty of floating objects in the main game too. I think we just have to live with the fact that some of the Havok'd objects behave that way.

I haven't seen the quest icon for the Ra'viir quest before, but I think it looks kinda nice.

Regarding #15, well, the FPS effect would be there whether looking at the object or not because it's already loaded into memory. I'll check out Skingrad and see if I can find tips from how Bethesda did those bridges.

Regarding #2, why yes it is a custom model. Cool
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-04-2006, 06:34 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Regarding #15, well, the FPS effect would be there whether looking at the object or not because it's already loaded into memory. I'll check out Skingrad and see if I can find tips from how Bethesda did those bridges.

It might not be the bridges... I think it could be anything. Maybe land shape?
08-04-2006, 08:09 AM,

RW, markers are usually not seen in the game, I've set some of them on the surface - it's ok. Even Bethesda places them on surface - and they are all unseen.

They are seen as you have changed the base object. You should place XMarker instead and give it a name in Editor ID. But you have created another static, assigned the xmarker.nif model and gave it a base name.

I think the invisibilty of objects like XMarker, XMarkerHeading, PrisonMarker, MapMarker, etc is hardcoded.
So replace this marker with XMarker static, give it a name in Editor ID and check out all the packages which depended on old markers to depend on new ones.
08-04-2006, 08:48 AM,

Whoopsie, that typo was mine Blush
To answer your question, yes. But probably no.
08-04-2006, 11:58 AM,

The stacking. The problem only occurs when for example running against the stacked objects. If you walk past it, there is no problem (screenie).

Havok
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
08-04-2006, 04:34 PM,

Bethesda should have plotted out their havok collision a little better. As for the hanging clothes, I think you should remove them and then take away the collision from the model that appears when your're not wearing it. that way, it blends in and looks a little more realistic and not like modern clothes.
Lol what?
08-04-2006, 08:29 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by sandor
The stacking. The problem only occurs when for example running against the stacked objects. If you walk past it, there is no problem (screenie).

Havok

The items still shouldn't be stacked, lean them on a shelf or something. Smile
08-04-2006, 11:52 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon
The items still shouldn't be stacked, lean them on a shelf or something. Smile

Why? Everybody stacks plates and bowls. I've never been to a house that they lean all their dishes agains the cupboard wall. :confused: Besides, Beth also stacked the stuff, so it's not like it's out of place.

Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
Bethesda should have plotted out their havok collision a little better. As for the hanging clothes, I think you should remove them and then take away the collision from the model that appears when your're not wearing it. that way, it blends in and looks a little more realistic and not like modern clothes.

All you'd need to do is take the clothing model and make it a static in the editor.
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere