Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumac City Lore
03-02-2007, 04:45 PM,
Dumac City Lore
I have found that the name dwarfes used for the dwemer comes from the giants in the Velothi Mountains, as if the Dwemer there where bigger than the ones in Vvarfendell. also meaning that they must have been separated for a long time. Also with ruins even in Hammerfell Dumac must have been used as stronghold in the days of the settling of the Dwemer there.

Most of the Dwemer cities are under the ground but Dumac being a great capital and also a pass to the other provinces should also have some buildings above the grounds.
[SIZE=20]Never give up, Never surrender.[/SIZE]
03-02-2007, 10:51 PM,
RE: Lore
The Definitive Guide to Dwemer
From the imperial library

What's up with the word 'Dwemer'?
Dwemer is the real (Elven) name for the Dwarves. It is pronounced: DWAY-mare. Some translations are "Short Folk", "Smart Folk" and, what is probably the best translation, "Deep Folk". Probably "Deep" as in "intelligent and multi-levelled" as opposed to a reference to some kind of physical depth.

The name "Dwarves" is used mostly by non-Elven races and has misguiding connotations. There have been rumors that the name "Dwarves" was given by the Giants that lived in Morrowind when the Dwemer first lived there. Thus (possibly) the confusion. A variation on the rumor suggests that the ancestors of Men and Mer, described as the "titantic" Ehlnofey (also known as the Earthbones), named the Dwemer. In this model, the name is actually a play on words, implying both shortness (relative to the "titanic" Ehlnofey), and intelligence. Both of these possibilities introduce what I view as possible factual inconsistencies that are beyond the scope of this guide, but they are still possible.

The most referenced possibility is that "Dwarf" is simply mistranslation of Dwemer, and that it's proper use is in the "Deep Folk" sense, but that Dwe was mistranslated by humans into "Short". Thus "Short Folk", or Dwarves.

What we do know about the Dwemer in general is that they were reclusive, powerful, and tended to use "technology" over magic (the Dwarves at Stros M'Kai were reliant on steam power). They lived in great half-subterranean buildings and created mechanical creatures called Animunculi as well as other devices. We know that they were feared- by the Dunmer, by the Nords, by the Redguards, perhaps even by the Gods. Some might say that, in this respect, the Dwemer were "blasphemous". They challenged the power of the Et'Ada (Aedra and Daedra), questioned their authority, and travelled into the "Outer Realms".

Just in case anyone asks

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
03-03-2007, 08:37 AM,

thanks
03-04-2007, 08:41 AM,

They say that Vvarfendell was once called Velothi. Dumac lies in the Velothi Mountains so this is a bit rare.
Maybe before or after going to Vvarfendell they called it Velothi. Or Dumac layed in the outskirts of their empire. and it was the capital of that province.
03-04-2007, 01:40 PM,

Morrowind as a whole was once referenced as the Velothi area
but the Nords came in and called it Dwemereth, then Nerevar and Dumac lead a charge driving the Nords out and renamed it Resdayn
Then after the War of the First Council it is renamed Morrowind (Some say the the name Morrowind is the name given by the Imperials

Enjoy
Bob

03-04-2007, 09:33 PM,

hmm... let's see...

Velothi - gives the sense that the land is owned by the Velothi, which only really happened AFTER the War of the First Council

Dwemereth - this probably happened during the Nordic invasions, when the only real strong nation in the area were the Dwemer (and the Chimer warred against one another, allowing Nords to not only conquer them, but them against one another)

Dunmereth - I dunno where i've heard this but it would probably be after Tribunal Temple is established, sometime after the War of the First Council

Morrowind - they say Imperials named it this. In any case it is its present name. Probably a similar thing to Black Marsh. It was commonly called Argonia before Imperial conquest, Morrowind might be a similar situation
03-04-2007, 10:28 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
hmm... let's see...

Velothi - gives the sense that the land is owned by the Velothi, which only really happened AFTER the War of the First Council

This actually was the name given as a reference to the land when Veloth brought the Chimer into it, the only place I have ever seen it referred to as Velothi is in TIL Tamriel Timeline

Dwemereth - this probably happened during the Nordic invasions, when the only real strong nation in the area were the Dwemer (and the Chimer warred against one another, allowing Nords to not only conquer them, but them against one another)

Dunmereth - I dunno where i've heard this but it would probably be after Tribunal Temple is established, sometime after the War of the First Council

Dwemereth and Dunmereth worked hand in hand for the Nords
the TIL says the Nords referred to it as both

Morrowind - they say Imperials named it this. In any case it is its present name. Probably a similar thing to Black Marsh. It was commonly called Argonia before Imperial conquest, Morrowind might be a similar situation

03-05-2007, 04:55 AM,

thanks Big Grin

so I think my educated guesses were pretty good I think...
03-05-2007, 10:23 AM,

This discussion should have really been made in the tread that i made a while back.

Edit: Ahh Well a discussion is a discussion =)
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
03-05-2007, 02:50 PM,

sorry!!!! Wink