Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progress......
03-28-2007, 02:21 AM,

So to recap the layout of Dumac -

First, the entrance, and the 4 tests. Maddening fun

Then, the residential areas! i'm thinking a central plaza, and sections branch off from there - rich, middle class, and poor. Also, there will need to be a place for the government featuring prominently. The dwemer version of mansions in other words.

Next to, and connected to the plaza will be the giant military base. This IS dumac, so they're going to have a GIANT military ruin. Maybe factories inside the base where centurions were made, a large guarded armory, areas for drills, and towers going to the surface. Lots of machines, and probably some prototypes.

If you go down a level from the plaza, deeper into the earth, you will find the industrial sector. probably a confusing maze of machinery, large rooms with factories, everything needed to produce enough for a city.

Then, comes power generation. I'm thinking this goes deep, possibly tapping into geothermal energy. I always envision giant glowing piles drawing raw energy from flowing lava, maintained by machines. (just one idea though) The power generation place has to be massive.

Finally, branching out from around the power generation is the mines. Giant constructs mine ores to keep themselves running, and an automated system keeps the whole thing going. Lots of machinery.

That's the level layout i envision. What the levels actually LOOK like will be determined by the modders who take levels. Of course that's in the future. We don't even have a tileset, let alone a space large enough for an underground open plaza (darn those oblivion caves! TINY I SAY!) I just like organization.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
03-28-2007, 02:44 AM,

Its sounds good so far

the other thing we need to do with regard to the tests is determine what they are going to be like

The Test of Disorder is allready planned out, we need the other 3 and decide how they will be located, these test must be passed through in order to get into Dumac. The main enterence into the city is guarded by these tests

The layout of the exterior, I think should resemble the same layout we have in ES3, at least as close as possible, but it is of minimal importance just a personal preference

What we lack in cave size we will make up for in shear enjoyment

Isn't someone working on a cave tileset ?

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
03-28-2007, 08:08 PM,

I'm not sure if someone's working on a caveset- i didn't think so at any rate. Unfortunately, having such a sucky caveset to work with could indeed mar the enjoyment, or at least prevent us from making a truely grand city.

Just for clarity, i've decided to upload 2 pictures, one of a very large mudcave room, and one of the tallest possible cavern makeable in all of oblivion (without using tricks such as scaling, which IS possible)

A note, those ARE people. May be hard to tell for the morrowind one, but there are 26 people stacked on top of each other in the mudcave.
If you didn't want to count, there are 8 people in the tallest cavern possible in oblivion (Cave Chasm set)

The people over at Bethesda did wonderful things with mudcave for dwemer ruins. They made large caverns with huge ruins. We currently can't do that. i hate to sound pessimistic, but it's the truth. I'll experiement with tweaking the scale of different caves, but the other sad part is there is no way to make something that's very tall, without making it rediculously wide (if you use scale)
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
03-29-2007, 11:06 AM,

Second image is the best, maybe some legdes for the different entrances and exits, the floor could be lava, as though the city is built within a Volcano or something like that.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
03-29-2007, 07:47 PM,

Well i whole-heartedly agree that the second is best, with one problem. The second is not in oblivion, so we can't use it unless someone decides to do the mudcaveset. If someone decides to do mudcave, i will WORSHIP them, but there is as of yet nobody to worship, so too bad
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
03-29-2007, 10:34 PM,

Has it been requested?

Mold or Mud or any cave set

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
03-30-2007, 01:11 AM,

I just reiterated the need for it on visual development jobs, but it's not currently being made - neither mud or mold is in development, though we DESPERATELY need them. Heck, everyone needs them. Caves in oblivion really do have too much detail, so it gets repetative because you see the same thing repeated over and over. There's only 2 types of corners, and you can always tell that you've seen the same corner over and over. plus, there's a lot less creativity involved. In morrowind, you had to use a ramp to get to a high up door, or prehaps use a conveniently placed piece of rock. In oblivion, the stairs are built into the pitset, and there are no large prefab rooms, so everything's cramped.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
03-30-2007, 10:09 AM,

Well i think one of use should learn the skills Big Grin

There are so many requests i am not suprised no one is working on them, honestly there is only so much that can be done.

The best thing we can do is wait and plan more and see how long this will take.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
04-20-2007, 08:31 AM,

I am going to close and remove this thread, bout time we updated with a new clean thread with something better.