Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morag Tong Assassin Armor
03-26-2007, 02:49 PM,
Morag Tong Assassin Armor
Yaay! My first thread! Big Grin

Anyhow... I'm making this thread in hope that I can get feedback from everyone on an armor I'm working on... currently I'm in the process of making a texture so that I can know what limits I have to work within. I will post updates here once a week or more and what I want from you is simply complaints and ideas Wink

I'm mainly using THIS pic of the "Morag Tong Assassin" for reference.

With hope that I can get it to look good even with the crappy animations in Oblivion I now go into the unknown to see if there is a truth hidden there, underneath the dead guar :guar:

I'm going to use a 1024*1024 rez if that size is okay with the regulations/regulators!!! or well... whatever you call them. Confusedhrug:
The Beast Who Sliced To Mexico.... why Mexico?
"Not all questions are supposed to have an answer" - Someone
03-27-2007, 04:08 PM,
RE: Morag Tong Assassin Armor
Just wanted to post a pic of how the pockets for the armor are going to look like. I thought that they look somewhat like leather and this is the result... Also, the question about texture size still remain unanswered and it's difficult to make a texture and being unsure of the limits so...
[Image: pocketv2yv7.th.jpg]
03-28-2007, 06:10 AM,

1024x1024 for what? a helmet, a cuirass?

I personally use a 1024^2 for helmets, cuirass, greaves and boots.
gauntlets can be a 1024x512. though if you want to squeeze out some space 1024x512 for the boots works fine.

but importantly 1024x1024 for the helmet and the same for the cuirass as they are seen most and the eye is usually most fixed on that area.

as long as its saved as a dxt1 1bit alpha. the file size is respectable. when the model starts needing an alpha map. in some cases, if the alphs part is a very small piece, just break that off, and uv it so it uses its own texture. its better file size wise to have a 1024x1024 dxt1 and a 256x256 at dxt3, then a single 1024x1024 at dxt3 or 5. but only by a little really.
AM NOT A TEXTURER
03-28-2007, 06:26 AM,

VABG: Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops Smile

Should I assign a claim in Soluthis to become the city headquarters for the guild? So that (knock on wood) there's an interior with personnel ready to fit your armor on when it's finished. If I do, would you like the claim to it ahead of time?

I think Ghogiel gives a great answer Smile Other than that, whenever you find yourself wondering in the future, you can't go wrong by checking out what Bethesda did in that particular case. Their texture sizes are guaranteed to work.

Gallery urls are notoriously unreliable, and only work as long as no new pictures are added. I got a picture from "The Art of Morrowind" when I clicked your link for instance. Rather, right-click on the picture and choose the "Show picture" command (name may vary between browsers). Remove any "thumb_" or "normal_" prefix from the filename, and then you have the url to the full picture.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-28-2007, 03:02 PM,

I changed the link now to a direct one instead... It seems like I can continue with my original plans for the texture according to what Ghogiel said.
I never knew that making smooth garment textures was this difficult Sad

I usually do most of my things during the weekends but I'm going to start recording a movie (called TV Swee! 3) with some friends so now my pace is going to be decided on how much homework my teachers shove in my lap.

I hope that my first garment texture is going to be finished today but I'm not sure that I have the willpower to do it in this weather (it's friggin hot here at the moment).

Oh, and about that with a guild and stuff... I really don't know... I'll leave it in your hands since my intrests are almost completely in the visual development section... I might want to do a model for the house myself.... thats perhaps not a horrible situation but it could cause some problems. It could also happen that the building gets done before the armor depending on my sudden moodswings. :bash:

Currently I'm very unsure about how I want all this stuff to be since I'm actually better at making buildings than armors and "organic" stuff. ONE thing I'm sure about is that you should wait with the guild and stuff, the armor might not come out right. Currently I'm trying to use physics to make the clothes fall onto the model ?(. This is making me wonder what the heck I'm doing.... :wtf:
But it's working! Look! That's not how it's going to look but... it's great! This took alot of modeling time away from my schedule Big Grin
[Image: worksdammitwr1.th.jpg] ... It's good to be able to be happy about the small things in life Smile
04-03-2007, 03:39 PM,

An update
Yesss! I got some texturing done and here's 2 small tastes of how the clothes on the armor might look like in the end...
[Image: 3dsmaxrenderclothesmq9.th.jpg][Image: 3dsmaxrenderclothes2mk3.th.jpg]
Most of the work I've done is UVW mapping and making textures. After looking at the concept art, day after day for a week, I figured that the red stuff should be some kind of cape. And using the reactor clothes-modifier really made this easier.... =)

Now I'm working on the shoulderpads...any suggestions on the material?
Actually... suggestions on all the stuff in the concept art-pic (not the stuff I've already made) could be useful since that is what I'm, at the moment, having most trouble with.
04-03-2007, 06:41 PM,

wow, that looks realy good.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
04-03-2007, 09:17 PM,

Kinda bright.... something that would fit into Oblivion's color scheme.
Dark and broody FTW! Big Grin
The Forgotten Ones have returned.
04-03-2007, 10:43 PM,

Nice... :pop:
04-04-2007, 02:09 AM,

Looks great VABG :goodjob:

Yes I would love it if you wanted to model a guild house for Morag Tong! It should look close to Bethesda's design for the Redoran huts, but not similar to an existing house design because we have them all. Could you maybe create a singlepiece interior model for it as well?

It's totally your call if you want to create those two models, we can make it work if you don't want to. But it'd be friggin sweet to have it Big Grin
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]