Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebb11 - Relneth's Repairs (Claimed, Finished)
10-04-2007, 09:19 PM,

Alright, swell ^_^

The player will be sent back to Cyrodiil, at least once, as some of the ingredients the player will need to grab won't be available in ST (well, unless an alchemist has them in their leveled lists...). Also, until there's more bandit caves and whatnot, the player will likely need to head to Cyrodiil for Relneth's scrap metal too.

As far as the NPC contacts and whatnot, I'll take your advice ^_^

So, that leaves me with Relneth's dialogue left to do, Okan-Shei's left to finish up, I still need to figure out the door locking issue, and add the 3 or 4 'Go grab X number of Y from where ever you can' quests that don't require external NPC involvement.

With luck, I may even get this wrapped up by next week! Awesome~
10-05-2007, 02:14 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by ImaJunryou

Right now, the two NPCs break for lunch at 2pm, until 3pm, and do a little changin' of the guard, where Relneth stops offering services, and Okan-Shei starts. If the player is in the shop during this shift at 3pm, everything is fine (save the little problem of trespassing...), things go off without a hitch (save the arrests), and it is business as usual (minus one customer...).

If the player isn't physically IN the shop during that shift, Okan-Shei never gets around to unlocking the doors to the shop(Relneth locks them at 2pm, for lunch). I've not attempted to leave Ebbedin and come back, see if that helps, but entering a different Ebbedin interior doesn't do the trick. Not that it would... Anyway, point is I don't know how to get Okan-Shei to unlock the door... He should, by all accounts.
TID is very busy at the moment, so I checked the problem.

Locking doors through the AI.

The problem occurs because you used a faction to set the ownership for the door. This causes the locking to work only when the PC is inside the interior.

The first NPC that locks/or unlocks the door (that day) is treated as the owner of the door.
If you want to unlock the door (PC outside the shop) at 3pm you have to use the same NPC, in this case Relneth.

To avoid these problems.

Lock the door with a key and give the key to Okan-Shei.

Set ownership of the door to Relneth (he doesn't need a key).
Relneth can always enter or leave the house.

Relneth is in control of the door and his AI determines when the door is locked or unlocked.

The key ensures that Okan-Shei can leave or enter the house even when the door has been locked.

Also, they'll fall down the stairs...
You could use collision boxes.

It's a nice interior. Smile
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
10-08-2007, 07:50 PM,

Wow, thanks for the handy solution Sandor. Works like a charm!

Also, the collision boxes work great as well, thanks for that too. Took me a bit to find, though. Never used them before.

I've got all of my planned dialogue done now, too. I simply need to fix some lights (none of the candles flicker, as I used the wrong light -.-), and implement a trio of gathering quests, and Relneth's Repairs should be ready for review.

Speaking of gathering quests, is there a way of controlling what services an NPC offers dynamically? For example, I have a quest for the player to bring a supply of repair hammers and tongs to the shop, and I was hoping to make the reason for it be that neither Relneth nor Okan-Shei can repair anything without them. The only method I can think of at the moment is to make it so they don't offer any services at all until the quest is done, but I'd still like them to sell stuff =/ Another method was to make a second NPC, but that would involve an aweful lot of modification to my dialogue conditions (they all have a GetIsID for the particular NPC, which I'd have to add a second to. Not hard, but there's a lot of dialogue =(

Any suggestions there?

Also, I made a topic which gave the player a bit of layout for Ebbedin, help them find their way around town. In it I mentioned a lighthouse, due to one of the NPCs I ran across (can't remember his name at the moment -.-) on the docks talking about carrying wood there. After circling the island a few times, I've not found this lighthouse o.O Is it not implemented, not on the island, or am I simply blind? I'd hate to tell the Player about imaginary buildings =O

So, light changes are next up, then quest finishing. If needs be, I'll go about modifying lots of dialogue, and once all that's squared away, I'll get rid of some of the silly items in the interior (+100% chamelon glass helm, a chest with all the items needed for the quests, etc.), and the related enchantment.

Depending on how much trouble the quests give me, I should have Relneth's Repairs ready for review between this coming weekend, and the weekend after.
10-08-2007, 08:08 PM,

I am glad you solved the problems. Smile

Speaking of gathering quests, is there a way of controlling what services an NPC offers dynamically? For example, I have a quest for the player to bring a supply of repair hammers and tongs to the shop, and I was hoping to make the reason for it be that neither Relneth nor Okan-Shei can repair anything without them. The only method I can think of at the moment is to make it so they don't offer any services at all until the quest is done, but I'd still like them to sell stuff =/ Another method was to make a second NPC, but that would involve an aweful lot of modification to my dialogue conditions (they all have a GetIsID for the particular NPC, which I'd have to add a second to. Not hard, but there's a lot of dialogue =(

Any suggestions there?
Create a second MerchSmith Class (ST...) in which the NPC doesn't offer the repair service (the only difference).

Use the SetClass function to change the class after the repair hammers arrived.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
10-12-2007, 05:22 AM,

Thanks for the class swap tip ^^ I didn't even know you could swap an NPC's class like that. Awesome =D

At the moment I'm setting up a quest for Okan-Shei to send the player on a harvesting run for a lot of different ingredients. Some found in Cyrodiil, some supposedly found in Silgrad Tower areas. Here's the list so far:

*Alkanet Flower
*Arrowroot
Black Anther
Chokeweed
Dandelion
*Dragon's Tongue
*Fennel Seeds
Hackle-Lo
Kresh Fiber
*Mandrake Root
*Monkshood Root Pulp
*Nightshade
*Primrose Leaves
Razortongue
Roweed Leaves
Stoneflower Petals

Plants with an asterisk I have general directions to give the player so they can find them. All the others (all ST ingredients...) I'm not so clear on their largest concentrations. Short of gallivanting around and doing a botanical survey myself, is there any central source of info for plant concentrations? Maybe something in the lore (Roweed is known in Soluthis, for example... Not that that's the case, I have no idea where Roweed is o.O)? Something so that I can point in a direction and tell the player "Start over there, and get lookin'!"

Short of a clear X ingredient can be found most likely around Y location, is there a map of the landmass broken up into a grid showing various cells so I can at least utilize the Use Info dialog? I'd likely be able to answer that last one by digging through the maps, but I get some database errors when I try to navigate to that section of Silgrad.com's site =/

I'm mostly done with the ingredient quest (just adding dialog for it at this point), and then I have two quests for Relneth left to do (one for repair hammers, and one for scrap metal, by which I mean loot from the corpses of one's fallen foes, unless there's a scrap metal item that I managed to miiss...). Almost done! Exciting times!

As a last aside, is there any sort of mutual understanding, or anything, between the Tamrielic Ingredients mod by Tarnsman and the Silgrad Tower team? By which I mean to ask are there going to be playability issues with sending the PC to hunt a bunch of ST ingredients, only to have the TI versions show up in alchemist shops and loot, and have the player scratching their head over why they can't turn them in?

edit:

I've got the ingredient quest 99% done. All that's left is to find out where to point the player to for the Silgrad ingredients. I'll start nosing around the province again when I have an hour or two to spare ^_^

That leaves two quests for Relneth, some lighting issues, and I think things are golden. For the ingredient reward, the player is given three to six potions (depending on how the quest is done) of varying use. Right now the price for most is auto-calculated. This, however, has left the price for a few very very high (Restore health 8pts for 100 seconds, Damage health 5pts for 90 seconds is over 2000 gold auto-calculated for example) The really high-priced ones tend to be a combination of a nifty handy effect, and a bad risky effect. Since the player must collect something in the neighborhood of 150 plant samples for the quest (actually it is either 80 samples or 240 samples depending on how things are done...), the high-priced potions can be sold for a goodly profit which would offset the amount of work to be done for the quest (monetary compensation is 60-120 gold). It seems silly to me, though, to have Okan-Shei complaining about being stuck in Ebbedin with no money and no way to make money when he can whip up a potion in a week worth a couple thousand septims.
10-13-2007, 07:00 AM,

Short of a clear X ingredient can be found most likely around Y location, is there a map of the landmass broken up into a grid showing various cells so I can at least utilize the Use Info dialog? I'd likely be able to answer that last one by digging through the maps, but I get some database errors when I try to navigate to that section of Silgrad.com's site =/
No.

Most of the ingredients can be found in or around Soluthis.
The center of the city is at -15,40 and the gate to Silgrad City is at -14,34.
Use the "Use info" feature for the ingredients to find suitable locations.

You may add one or two ingredients directly to the Ebbedin exterior.
Further you could add a few of the ingredients to the city of Steadhelm.
Not outside the walls because I am regenerating the area.

You could add a planter with an ingredient (set ownership to a specific faction) in one of the following interiors, for example Soluthis0501 (use the existing planters), Steadhelm08 or any other house in Steadhelm.
When the quest starts use "SetFactionRank" to create a membership of that faction for the PC. You could say the owners are friends of Okan-Shei.

I hope it helps.

As a last aside, is there any sort of mutual understanding, or anything, between the Tamrielic Ingredients mod by Tarnsman and the Silgrad Tower team?
No.

It seems silly to me, though, to have Okan-Shei complaining about being stuck in Ebbedin with no money and no way to make money when he can whip up a potion in a week worth a couple thousand septims.
If there are no customers (the locals) that could pay for such an expensive potion the produce is worthless. Perhaps change the dials so that Okan-Shei complains about the "bad" business situation.

I am looking forward to see the final result. Smile

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
10-19-2007, 02:52 AM,

Sorry for my absence for the few days. I see there's been progress, which is good. :yes: I, too, am looking forward to seeing the end result. Smile
10-19-2007, 04:27 AM,

Yay! Welcome back, Imperial Dragon ^_^

Hope things are looking up :goodjob:

A random question, as I begin the last leg of this mod... Is Dwemer still illegal to trade in Morrowind? I ask because Relneth is about to have a quest allowing the player to bring scrap metal by in exchange for gold. I plan on having iron and steel be deliverable, and was curious about dwemer and orcish. Orcish I'm not sure on because Relneth's never worked on it before (also, people in Ebbedin don't have much use for Orcish, while steel and iron scraps can be used for lots more than just armor...). Dwemer I am unsure for the same reason as Orcish, but also I'm not clear on its legality.

Any thoughts?
10-19-2007, 11:03 AM,

There's another quest in Ebbedin where we are dealing with trade in Dwemer objects being illegal, so I think Dwemer should be avoided here.

Where were you thinking on having the player find the Iron or steel (presuming we don't go with the iron mine in Ebbedin)? Or were you thinking about generic "Scrap Metal" like in Morrowind?
10-19-2007, 05:13 PM,

Well, here's what I had in mind.

I was hoping to make a sort of repeatable quest. After you provide Relneth his repair hammers, an option will become available to help him out again a few days later. At that point it will branch off, randomly, into a handful of different Bring me X quests. Upon return of the items, a small reward would be dispensed. Doing these little quests a few times will raise a variable I need to make higher and higher. Once that variable reaches a certain level, Relneth and Okan-Shei will have a shiny reward for the player as a big thank you for all that the player's done for them. The little rewards won't be much, likely half the price of the armor being turned in (so a really poor mercantile skill would enjoy this quest, but not much else, if it is monetary gain short-term that is wanted).

The source of the armor is scrap, yeah. The player will be given a list of iron and steel armor parts in a note, with each part given a number representing the amount of salvagable scrap from that piece. Relneth will say I need 50 units of iron, and the player can gather 2 iron curiasses, or 10 iron helms, just to throw some random numbers out there.

After the player returns with the scrap metal, the quest will reset in a week. So, it would probably be a month before the bigger reward was gained. That bigger shiny reward I mention will likely be a small pile of gold, or some specially crafted item from Relneth, or (once Okan-Shei gets his apparatuses working again) some specially brewed potions from Okan-Shei.

That's what I have in mind, at least. I'm open to suggestions too, as right now I'm still working it out on paper. As such, depending on the complexity of this quest, Ebb11 might not be up for review until late Sunday evening, instead of the early Saturday morning like I intended ._.

No Dwemer? No Dwemer. What about other armor types... Elven, Orcish, Chainmail, etc. The idea behind this is for the scrap to be used for more than just other sets of armor. Tools around the village, for example. Parts for boats, and houses. Iron and Steel are ideal for that, but after a certain character level (in regular Oblivion), they're very hard to find in the wild.

edit:

Unless there's some reason for me to remove any of them, the armor types sought at the moment are Iron, Steel, Chainmail, Elven, Fur, and Leather. I can easily justify all but Elven armor as useful components to tools around Ebbedin. I suppose Elven could fill the same role, as its durable, but I don't know why Relneth would ask the player to travel all the way into a neighboring province to scavenge scrap metal... I've mainly added it as it can usually be found around the same time as Chainmail, level-wise, and because I'm pairing them up (I need 20 pieces of iron, and 15 of steel, for example). Quantities being looked for are going to be sorta high, potentially. The smallest piece of scrap to be gathered is 1 piece, and the largest is 18 pieces (found on an iron helm and steel cuirass, respectively), while the amount asked for ranges randomly between 25 and 150. So, it is entirely within the realm of possibility for the player to need to gather 8 or more cuirasses to meet his or her quota. Any thoughts on this? Too much to ask from a small fishing village? Should I shrink the number or increase the time between missions (set at one week right now, but I could see making it bi-weekly. The player is only supplementing Relneth's regular supplier of goods), maybe tweak the amount of scrap armor is worth? It is split as follows:

Helm 1-6
Cuirass 8-18
Greaves 2-7
Boots 1-5
Gauntlets 1-4
Shield 3-10

That's with fur being at the lowest end (not so much of it is actually salvageable, so lots of pieces are needed) and elven being at the highest (I see it as more ornamental than useful, so less is needed).