Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Road to Silgrad (revisited)
06-26-2007, 07:42 PM,

Agreed

It was never the intention to make this Quest the only way to get to Silgrad nor was it the intention that the player would only get this Quest by going to this town

The intial contact with Silgrad should be made imediately once the mod has been included, via messenger as soon as you walk out of the Census office in Seyda Neen

The message should come from someone high up in the Legion weather the player is a member or not I think General Darius would be a good choice.

Simply: Greetings (Player Name) We received word of your arrival on Vvardenfell, for what purpose the Emporer is using you is unknown to us. However we have our own needs and if you are willing to assist us it would be greatly appreciated, please come when you are able

regards (Darius, General, Legion Garrison, Gnisis)

Now considering that the player may just begin a new game with Silgrad installed and my not be ready to take on to this task we would need to put some stoppers in place

#1 If the player goes to the new town before talking to Darius, the NPC's will say the normal stuff that npcs say

#2 If the player goes to silgrad and ventures to the Legio, they will just say the normal things argonians say + the quests from the legio will be avialable (these are pre-cursors to the main action with the pirates)

#3 If the player goes to Darius right away, he will say his normal stuff and if you ask about the "note" He will say "I appreciate your quick response, however at this time I have no news to discuss, check with me occasionally and maybe I will have heard something.

So then we need to decide at what level we want this to activate
I think level 5 should be sufficient

Does this make more sense?

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
06-26-2007, 07:51 PM,

I suppose that's a simpler idea, I'd never really thought of it.

But what is the justification for the Legio contacting the PC in the first place? Isn't the Nerevarine quest only known to the emperor and the highest people in the Imperial court? And regardless, why would the living incarnate of a heathen religion prophetical hero improve the situation?

Sorry to question all your work Bob, but I'm just curious! :bananarock:
Will start working again for TES3 Project soon....sometime.
06-26-2007, 07:54 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by bob196045
The intial contact with Silgrad should be made imediately once the mod has been included, via messenger as soon as you walk out of the Census office in Seyda Neen

What if the player doesnt start a new game? Could this be made like a Tribunal start quest? If you are above 5th level, and you go to sleep, someone would wake you up. Good, bad, attack, just mesage...
06-26-2007, 08:04 PM,

A sudden idea: We alert the PC of silgrad early on, at Seyda Neen, but just with a minor quest, perhaps something like the man in Seyda Neen who wants to move away where he goes to Silgrad, and you have to assist him in stealing a boat or something. Then, with the PC alerted of Silgrad, they can roam there freely and like Bob said be 'blocked' from the Legio quests.
So now we wait until the Nerevarine quest is well underway, so that as the PC's reputation increases, they gain attention from Darius, in which, after maybe the PC finds out they are Nerevar, (or a little earlier, when Caius leaves Balmora), THEN we open the quest with the message from Darius, and hey! We're away! :banana:

This supports your idea Agram, but removes the level factor, which sometimes is not a good representation of progress in the game.
06-26-2007, 08:13 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Exethalion
I suppose that's a simpler idea, I'd never really thought of it.

But what is the justification for the Legio contacting the PC in the first place? Isn't the Nerevarine quest only known to the emperor and the highest people in the Imperial court? And regardless, why would the living incarnate of a heathen religion prophetical hero improve the situation?

Sorry to question all your work Bob, but I'm just curious! :bananarock:

Questioning is good

Using the Imperial Legion is mearly a suggestion, the message can come from the Argonians as well or House Redoran.

The player doesn't know he/she is the incarnate to begin with.
The realization doesn't come to focus until after the 3rd or 4th trial.

The whole nerevarine thing isn't done right to begin with, the purpose of the nerevarine is to lift the curse and restore morrowind. that was never fulfilled in morrowind and would surely mess up Beth's plans for future games :yes:

Unite the houses and kill all the imperials and nords Lets GO !!!

Anyway: A true Roll Play of the Nerevarine Charactor would not help the Imperials, I Agree

But other than that, its just more fun stuff to do Smile

agram: If player adds mod during current game, then yes first time go to sleep, messenger appears as soon as you step outside the building your in.

06-26-2007, 08:27 PM,

I meant that we should make it that the higher up members of WHATEVER faction gets involved in the quest should make the connection between the PC being a powerful incarnate, and the situation needing a powerful hero, by about, as you say, the trials. Or indeed, the recruitment is made earlier, perhaps if these top brass know about the PC being incarnate at that stage, even if the PC does'nt know about it themselves (possibly the faction know that the PC suits the description from tip-offs from Caius and the blades).

Either way, I am saying that we should postpone the quest opening until the Nerevarine quest is underway, justifying a reason for Darius/the relevant factions to require the PC to deal with the pirate threat in Silgrad.

Just an idea! :bananarock:
06-29-2007, 12:23 AM,

i think an important thing to consider here is that IMO it doesn't matter whether any faction believes the PC to be the Incarnate, but instead whether they believe the PC to be powerful enough to be useful for their purposes. Getting far enough in the MQ could be a useful barometer of both fame & power.

Later,
Steve
06-29-2007, 03:37 AM,

I actually agree with both of you (Exethalion and Sacarrow) I personally think these types of quests should not begin until the player has made it
to a significant point in the gameplay (the nerevarine being one of those points)

Here's the thing:

From our perspective we have to consider all the possible player scenarios.

Some players (alot of them actually) may play the role of Nerevarine the first time they play, but opt to play a role more suited to their style later on and they would never hear of this quest by any other means

Thats why my original thought was to have the messenger contact the player as soon as he/she steps out of the census office. That is the last point where the actions of the Player are controlled, once outside the door their off and running and we don't know what the player may do. Some of them might kill the messenger anyways Smile

Doing this ensures that our quest is found, no matter what the player does in his or her roleplay they will know about the "Road to Silgrad"
And this also covers, those who may decide to include the Silgrad Mod during a current game, as soon as Silgrad is active, here comes the messenger.

Word of the Prisoner being released and sent to Vvardenfell may have been a secret, but as we all know, secrets get told and it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that word got to Darius or anyone else we
choose, that someone (potentually) important is arriving on Vvardenfell
on a mission for the emporer. We know this to be true because as soon as you get your first mssion (if Tribunal is installed) you are hunted by
the Dark Brotherhood. So word got to Helseth, not saying he shouldn't have known. But now he's contacted the DB so they all know. ........ the grapevine is alive and well.

ANYWAY

As far as Darius being the one to send the message, thats still just one of the options. It seems to me that it makes the most sense coming from him, it is an Imperial Charter town, he's a General in the Imperial Legion, Pirates are a pain, and the Legion is too busy, lets find someone else to deal with this problem

BUT

We are a team and I respect all your opinions so we must decide together what the best course of action is for the success of the mod and the enjoyment of play

Smile

Enjoy
Bob

06-29-2007, 07:08 AM,

I like your idea.
06-29-2007, 08:44 PM,

OK then, I like that. Though with the message, can we keep it subtle, not open it immediately with "dear level 1 prisoner, please annhilate the pirates, thanks". Consider that the PC knows nothing of their future quest, so the message has to alert the player of the importance of Silgrad, without slapping the quest in their face. I mean if a new player is playing with both expansions, they'll be a little confused when they are shoved onto an island, attacked by assasins and fed messages demanding the world all the time!

So I'm asking if we can keep the opening to the quest subtle, unlike what it used to be.

Additonally, could we still do that quest extension for the guy in Seyda Neen who wants to leave, since it will further increase Silgrad awareness.

Cheers! :bananarock: