Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible conflict or glitch?
08-08-2008, 12:28 AM,

Yes it is good news. But more to my point, it may not be a Nvidia issue.
08-08-2008, 01:01 AM,

well, according to UESP, there is a work around to this and you can find it here. Someone else claimed to have fixed the issue by updating the Nvidia BIOS on the card. Someone else claims that it is the dynamic shadows and turning them off fixes the issue. From what I have been reading, it seems like most of the issues appear in HDR mode, which does have dynamic shadows activated I believe. Try checking in the options to see if dynamic shadows are activated, and turn them off if they are and then try it again to see if the issue is still there.
08-09-2008, 05:40 PM,

I did a search on the issue. It seems there are more reasons than fixes. It does seem the Nvidia cards 7 and 8 series are at the center of most causes. There is still no definitive reason as to why. Hence, it may be Nvidia cards but indirectly.

I found a thread here. The poster I found to have did a little homework is the last.

As I said I have an Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT series 8 architecture card but have never experienced the issue.
08-10-2008, 12:36 PM,
Happy to report
I am very happy to report that your assistance has ended my screen blackout problem. My video display is a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS and when I went to the options on the game and turned HDR off the screen blackout is no longer occurring as it did with PV 2.5 ST before I made the option changes. I thank you for your very accurate assistance.
At least in my case I think it is safe to say that HDR overdrives my particular video display of which I have stated. This fix allows me to use the mod for which I am extremely grateful.
Hopefully this info on this issue will be of help to others. I am also planning on seeking an update for the bios drivers for this video display if I can obtain them. Many thanks to Zurke and ShadowDancer for their most professional assistance, well done!

MAF
"The more we seek to do, the more time becomes our enemy."

The Boserman
08-10-2008, 03:14 PM,

NP. Thats is what we are all here for.
08-10-2008, 03:19 PM,

Your welcome. :yes: I just wish there wasn't an issue since turning off HDR reduces the quality you get in the game for video. You may still be able to at least get some of the quality if you can figure out which settings can be adjusted up to full level without causing the glitch though.
08-11-2008, 04:33 AM,
In-game Graphics Quality
Well Sd,
I may just have to do without the HDR as long as I'm in ST mod areas, as I and others have stated the issue isn't common to any other mod areas that I use. And all of the other areas of the original Bethesda produced game are unaffected as well.
I would say that this points to the fact that the issue is a sensitivity of certain Nvidia cards to certain graphics rendering differences in certain areas of the mod. I believe another member mentioned something about dirty tangent references.
From my experience with the issue I learned that the Soluthis area of the mod has whatever rendering difference that causes it. I would guess that it deals with either the meshes in that area and how they were produced or with landscaped differences in that area and how they were produced. Thankfully it is not an issue affecting all GPUs' but only a select "lucky" few of us. I'm grateful for that and it would appear
that it is not a common enough issue to warrant to effort of tracking down and finding all the offending items that cause it and repair them.
Since my graphical technical know-how is very low I wouldn't know where to begin. I'm sure that there is probably some grapics whiz somewhere that knows what the problem or problems is/are but as I said the commonality of the issue probably doesn't come anywhere close to justifying the work and effort necessary to patching, updating or fixing the ST 2.5 file.
And the possibility exists that in the next public release version of ST OB the problem may not even exist anymore. We live in hope.
As it is I'm satisfied with the fix now, and really don't mind the loss of HDR with the mod.

MAF
"The more we seek to do, the more time becomes our enemy."

The Boserman
08-11-2008, 05:58 AM,
RE: In-game Graphics Quality
Its quite possible that it is a specific set of circumstances, or even multiple instances of varying circumstances. That certainly seems to be the case for those who were affected by it in the unmodded version of Oblivion. It really is an odd issue though since the Nvidia cards seem to have different issues and different areas that cause the black screen, with it occuring on some cards more and on others less, even when its the same model card. That seems to be the gist of what I read in different places at any rate, which is probably why it wasn't ever really addressed.

I would try and hunt down the issue myself, but I got a radeon the last time I upgraded my computer - it was on sale and so it was the best bang for the buck when I was upgrading. I am glad that we at least came up with a solution that helped you to remove the issue from your game play.