Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vivec and Nerevarine
11-10-2006, 02:24 AM,

there were huge debates about this long ago, and pardon me, I really don't feel like totally rediscussing this...
but there are several ways of dealing with the Nerevarine issue... however consider...

1. the player can subtly choose what the Nerevarine is like*
2. the Nerevarine is supposedyl in Akavir which the Akavir mod had cetered around and basically taken him from Vvar ;( Wink
3. very possible that the Nerevarine will not be directly in our mod, but his/her legacy will live on... but it WOULD be weird if he/she was gone only for 6 years or less and suddenly no one knows the gender/race/& type of the person the Nerevarine was... so I think some sort of character customization is necessary...

this leads me to the *
*the subtle choosing of the Nerevarine will be through questioning. The player will have aninitiated dialogue with an NPC who will ask questions whose answers will make you pick out the Nerevarine's features and skills and such so that at the very least in NPC dialogue, they will all say he/she, Bosmer/Argonian/Dunmer/etc., magician/thief/assassin/warrior/etc. etc.etc.
11-10-2006, 03:09 AM,

Sorry. I had just got done reading the rest of this thread and felt like adding my own two cents, didn't realize i was ressurecting the debate. =X
11-10-2006, 07:29 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Sericho
Sorry. I had just got done reading the rest of this thread and felt like adding my own two cents, didn't realize I was ressurecting the debate. =X
its alright, actually I don't mind your resurrecting the issue, I like a fresh look, but I myself don't wanna debate as of yet... too tired Wink

however, you propose to resolve the issue by not having the present but remnants of their legacy being very important themes in the quests?
11-10-2006, 08:24 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
its alright, actually I don't mind your resurrecting the issue, I like a fresh look, but I myself don't wanna debate as of yet... too tired Wink

however, you propose to resolve the issue by not having the present but remnants of their legacy being very important themes in the quests?

Yeah, I think that would be the best way to approach it, if Vivec/The Nerevarine must be dead or missing. But with Vivec, I still say he can be kept as a major part of the main quest somehow. I think one of the coolest things that can be done would be to rescue him from the Daedra. I don't see how one would get to Oblivion to rescue him, though...so maybe that's not the best idea. I don't know if the Telvanni are on good terms with the Temple/Tribunal, but if they are, maybe they managed to preserve a single gate from closing, so that Vivec might be saved. I mean, they are pretty crafty with magic. Or maybe The Nerevarine already attempted to rescue him, but was killed. (That's probably pushing it)

That's just one idea, though. We could still have Vivec a big part of the main quest, just through legacy. He could have predicted his death, and left a package or series of notes for you. A lot of things could work.
11-11-2006, 10:40 PM,

It is interesting that:

some excelent folks are absolutely adamant that Vivec must be dead

other excellent folks are just as adamant that he sould have survived

a third group of excellent folks suggest it could be either way.

What I would ask you to consider is that according to the In game Lore in Morrowind he could be either dead or alive - according to what the player decided each time he/she played the game (what can I say, I have done it both ways mysef - not sex dummy - first I played and killed Vivec, and then I played and left him alive.)

Given that either option is possible, and that with Gods, and Semi-Gods, how sure can you be that a knife in the guts does the job? There are 3 solutions as described in this thread, and they may all have to be included / catered for. The whole issue is too major to faff around with otherwise.

We cannot do this and only cater for those who say Vec is dead, and we cannot only cater for those who say Vec lives

Please consider:
NPCs can be interchangeable - so the same Script can actually run for different characters ... I am a genius Blush (well I have to say that otherwise you will not listen Wink ) I know this to be true...
- different scripts can be a matter of choice too ... (same reason)
- And there can be the letters and / dreams approach (same reason)
- at the end of the day there might even be an imposter = actual appearance of Vivec, but not Vivec ... (same reason)

Go forth and propagate (your beliefs) as actual scripts (as in written word documents) as to how this might be achieved - see the TES3 Quest Dev / Cerro stuff if you believe this cannot be achieved.

Why do I say this? Well if you really believe in the postions you have all presented the stories and dialogue and documents that you will come up with in the process will be fascinatin - and I guess you will then be judged on how well you present stuff - what will be taken up will be determined by your efforts, KKA and the Core - heh, and I might even be persuaded to lend a hand. There has been enuf faffin about for now - go forth and propagate.

K perfessor?
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
11-11-2006, 10:46 PM,

so basically saying scripting can allow for all sorts of facets... so the player will think there is Vivec, or doubt there is, but somehow there is a possibility, both of death or life for Vivec?
11-11-2006, 11:10 PM,

Well, yeah.

For example: You can write it so that both ways might be true = dead or alive if you bring into question whether the being / NPC that appears to be Vivec is actually Vec himself, or maybe an imposter ...

So on that basis the people who believe in their hearts that He is dead will know that it is an imposter, and can enjoy the game on that basis, happily thumbing their noses at the other guys who KNOW that Vec may well be alive, and who are thumming their noses back.

People who insist that the other lot cannot be catered for are not developing, they are still playing the game in their heads (don't blame them - great game) and we are here to develope ...

And with this approach we can next decide whether there will be different outcomes and events according to whether it really is Vivec or not, also even have different outcomes and events according to what the player decides also in-game.

So the player might decide in an early game event by his actions that Vivec does exist (even though he does not want to believe that) and in a later situaltion form that even he might deny it ... just because you see a Vivec does that prove it is the real Vivec?

Or the other way around - or the Player is spot on either way - that is the fun of it ...

:totally evil grin: after all it could be the Nerevarine using god-strength magic to disguise him/herself as Vivec.

Now will everybody please wake up and smell the ... :bananarock:
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
11-12-2006, 12:52 AM,

sorry i didnt get chance to read through this all.

But the nerevarine was an imperial. But the cryptic messages is an awsome way because not everyone likes the thought of an imperial nerevarine.

Also for what he wears fist of randangalf of however you spell it, wraith guard. Keening or sunder for sure. Either then that i think mabey someone could make custom armour? or just ebony since he does kill the one guy in the arena for it. Make it items that you get along the quest line. So it realates to everyones version of the nerevarine.
01-26-2008, 10:09 PM,
RE: Vivec and Nerevarine
in stead of going to a port to get there, i found the perfect spot in cyrodiil, its like a vally along the border of morrowind and cyrodiil. im thinking there could be a fence (like ghost gate) gaurded by ordinators and to get in you need to do a little quest for the ordi captain (e.g. collecting an ancient ordnator helm from a necromancer). can you give this idea a bit of thought cause i think its really good.
01-26-2008, 10:13 PM,

The ghostgate is deactivated... Doubt there would be any such a difficult and strong construction standing after the wars with the empire. It also sounds a bit corny to just use a necromancer as an enemy with out any backstory/reason. But welcome to TES4 Vv.
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"