Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quest System
10-01-2007, 08:22 PM,
Quest System
Hey,

Between writing a story and playing the quest in the game are alot of fases. After the actual writing of the story comes the fase in which you must describe what triggers what reaction. Since that can be complicated, I've tried making a universal system.

[TITLE]System[/TITLE]

1. Titel: Divide your quest up in scenes, a new scene begins with every new trigger
    Example: Chapter 1 Scene 1
  2. Trigger: What starts the scene? What did the player do in the previous scene to advance in the quest?
    Example: Talking about the 'witch'
  3. Consequence: What exactly does the trigger trigger?
    Example: Unlock a certain topic, transport you, etc.
  4. Player Actions: What does the player do in this scene?
    Example: Fight skeletons, talk, etc...
  5. Log*: After the player does the 'player actions', what does he/she write in her journal?
    Example: Log4: "We've finally killed the witch!"
  6. Dialogue: This is the tricky part, if you really want to give the dialogue a little 'RPG'-swing you'll have to worry about two things: the dialogue HAS to END in the same way, and we don't really have alot of voice actors, so don't make too much dialogue. Notice the numbering after the name of the NPC. The first number indicates the amount of times the NPC has been in dialogue in that chapter. The second and third number indicates the amount of times the NPC has said something in that particular dialogue. The "Question-01" and "Answer-01" indicates what is the answer /question to what answer/question.
    Example: Player101-Question-01: "Who the hell are you?"
    Hell101-Answer-01: "I'm Him!"
    Player102-Question-01:"And who exactly is that?"
    Hell102-Answer-01: "Well, me."
    Player103-Topic-02: "You"
    Hell103-Answer-02: "Yep, that's me."
    [/list=1]

[TITLE]Example[/TITLE]

Chapter 1 Scene 1: Steadhelm in uproar
    Trigger: Unknown
    Consequence: Rumors about a witch, an angry mob, etc..
    Player actions: Being in Steadhelm/Talking to Steadhelm citizens.
    Log1: "Steadhelm is in uproar! They say there's a witch, and the word on the streets is the Imperials are going to give this witch to the angry mob. I should go and check out if these rumors are true. The Imperial Guard Captain should know more."
    Dialogue:
    - Player101-Question01: "Witch"
    Steadhelm People-SP101-Answer01: "Yes, she killed more then ten people! She HAS TO BURN!"
    - Player-202-Question01: "Witch"
    Imperial Guards101-Answer01: "Yes, a woman has been arrested for murder. She is being judged by the Imperial Judges."

Chapter 1 Scene 2: Talking to the guard captain
    Trigger: Logentry 1
    Consequence: New topic(Witchhunt) added to the guard captain's dialogue.
    Player actions: Going to the Imperial prison, talking to the guard captain.
    Log2: "I've talked to the guard captain, he said this 'witch' has killed four men, who were found dead in Relvala Farethi's, the witch, house. The guard captain gave me permission to see her. I should go do that."
    Dialogue:
    - Player303-Question01: "Witchhunt"
    Imperial Guard Captain101-Answer01: "What? Yes, the witch, yes. Her name is Relvala Farethi. We're still researching, but when four men are found dead in your house, it's pretty obvious who did it. You can go see her if you like."

I hope it's of use to y'all....

Thanx,
    Cuthalion
Quote of the Day
There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. Richard Dawkins, The Enemies of Reason

Factions:
Silgrad Tower Mages Guild
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild
10-03-2007, 04:55 PM,
RE: Quest System
You implemented your new quest system in this post.

Regarding the dialogue.

Quote:Originally posted by Cuthalion
The first number indicates the amount of times the NPC has been in dialogue in that chapter.
I take Chapter 2, scene 1 of the Steadhelm Main Quest as an example, all the dials for Athesnea start with "2".

The same applies to her dials in Chapter2, scene 6.

Shouldn't the dials start with "1" for the first scene?

Please clarify.

TIA.
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
10-03-2007, 06:36 PM,

You're right, my mistake. My first idea was for the first number to indicate in which chapter it's said, but that wasn't functional.

*Correcting it now*

- Update: Corrected -
Quote of the Day
There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. Richard Dawkins, The Enemies of Reason

Factions:
Silgrad Tower Mages Guild
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild