Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road claim: Ald Nium to Ebbedin shore
11-26-2007, 12:58 PM,
Road claim: Ald Nium to Ebbedin shore
This claim is very old, and because of that, much of the information provided in it has become out of date. This claim was reposted with more up-to-date information. (-TID)

royalblue[/hr]

[Image: th_20d77d87.jpg] [Image: th_f9706d0c.jpg]
Full map (left); Clarifying map of this road claim (right)

[title]Background[/title]
One of the goals of our next release, Silgrad Tower 3.0, is to complete a basic road network across our lands. The main purpose is to connect our cities and major villages but beyond that a road network is also great for connecting trails leading to dungeons, tombs, mines and other quest locations. Parts of the network are already claimed by certain core members, while other parts remain open. Given the workload the road network entails, and given the workload already on those core members, we decided to open parts of the road network to claiming.

[title]What would I need to do?[/title]
Study the detail map and, if need be, the full map as well until you get a sense of how your stretch of the road network will be outlaid on our land.*

In this claim the road stretches from the farming village Ald Nium to Ebbedin's opposing shore. To be exact the road starts in the cell 7,42 or in other words, just northeast of AldNiumStExterior01 6,41. From there it winds its way northeast, often following the coastline roughly, until it finally reaches 44,57.

[Image: th_ST_Road_Network_Claim01_p1.jpg] [Image: th_ST_Road_Network_Claim01_p2.jpg]

[Image: th_ST_Road_Network_Claim01_p3.jpg] [Image: th_ST_Road_Network_Claim01_p4.jpg]

The modding phase is divided into two phases, of which the second phase is optional but highly appreciated.

What you need to do initially is to paint the landscape texture StRPRegionCobblestone2 along the path shown in the maps and then mark the cell as being hand changed. I trust you know how to do the former if you're considering this claim, but you may be unfamiliar with the latter. To do that, find the cell in the list of the Cell View window. Right-click on your cell and choose "Edit", and you'll get a popup window called simply Cell. The option is found at the bottom of the only tab. It's important to tick the checkbox for each of your road cells because this keeps them intact when a region is generated around your cell.

Your road should have the same layout as the road shown in the map but it doesn't matter if it differs a few cells, just as long as it doesn't start going the wrong way or veer far from its course.

Once you've painted the road texture and set the cells as being hand changed please submit your plugin for review by attaching it to a post in this thread. Once it's been greenlighted and merged to the esm the next phase of modding the road can begin, if you so choose. In that phase you'll add vertex shading to the sides of the road, paint additional landscape textures in your cells, and make the road more interesting by adding rocks and flora. The rocks are of West Gash type, while the flora is kreshweed, gold kanet, stoneflower, chokeweed, roobrush (plus proria and toadstool if you like). You can also add SilgradOak trees and SilgradBuckthorn shrubs on the side of the road if you like, but no other kind of trees please.

* To clarify matters further you could check out the worldspace overview. To do so, choose the menu option "World > Heightmap Editing", then select "SilgradTowerLand" in the list and click OK. Don't check out the overview while having a plugin loaded as it may corrupt it - instead close the CS, restart it, load Oblivion.esm + Silgrad_Tower.esm and then you can check out the heightmap. Don't worry, you won't have to do any work on the heightmap - in fact, we insist that you don't - it would only be used for reference in case you need it.

If you're interested in the job but have questions, please go right ahead and post 'em =)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
05-16-2008, 03:16 PM,

I have a question. Would a landscape claim be only one esp? If so I thought going from cell to cell in one esp was not a good idea. Just my lack of understanding the whole picture maybe.
05-16-2008, 03:24 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
I have a question. Would a landscape claim be only one esp?
Yes, as long as no one else starts to work on the same area/cells, all will be fine.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
05-16-2008, 03:32 PM,

What size is the road(cursor size)? Will it differ in width along it's length?
05-16-2008, 04:31 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
What size is the road(cursor size)? Will it differ in width along it's length?
In general I use 2, of course it may differ (e.g. between 1-3).
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
05-16-2008, 04:40 PM,

I will take it to mix things up a bit. Sometimes modding the house get monotonous.
05-16-2008, 07:06 PM,

I started laying the roadwork but I don't think I am doing something wrong. The cobblestone looks like a butch of semi circles. Is this the way it should look?
05-16-2008, 07:20 PM,

I don't see anything wrong in that screenshot. The texture doesn't quite look like cobblestones, but Confusedhrug:

I know I'm a bit late, but would you be willing to hold off a bit on the modding of the road? I think, since we're hopefully going to have the regions generated sometime soon, that maybe it would be best to wait until after the region is generated before starting this. I haven't posted much about the planned region generations yet because I'm still waiting on a few things (including technical information, models, etc...). I'll let you know more when I know more and when I'm able to make a reasonable guess as to whether this region will be generated soon or not.
05-16-2008, 07:28 PM,

NP TID. I'll go back to my house mod. Big Grin
04-17-2009, 07:11 PM,

Can anyone tell me what the status of this claim is?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]