Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The weird graphical glitches with Steve's models
11-28-2007, 04:29 PM,
The weird graphical glitches with Steve's models
I recently talked to Steve about the weird graphical problems I've experienced with his models lately. Some look fine to me, like for instance the lighthouse and the shack door, while most of the others look... well, corrupted is the best way I could describe it.

[Image: th_Oblivion2007-11-2701-21-19-23.jpg] [Image: th_Oblivion2007-11-2701-19-52-85.jpg]

A strange thing about the problem is that no-one's mentioned it to me. I don't even have confirmation that the problem exists outside of my local install. I'd entertain any number of explanations, including that I'm going insane, but then again if I were it would seem illogical that only Steve's models were affected.

Steve's computer is currently out of service, so he couldn't corroborate himself if it looked the same on his end or not. Can someone with the latest asset updates fire up the game and go to Ebbedin to check it out? A quick way is to input "coc Ebeddin02" in the console and then go outside, though the problem shows up on the inside of the shack walls as well.

Another strange thing is that the problem doesn't show up in the Construction Set. They look perfectly fine there - which only serves to make the problem more elusive.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
11-29-2007, 09:46 AM,
RE: The weird graphical glitches with Steve's models
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Can someone with the latest asset updates fire up the game and go to Ebbedin to check it out? A quick way is to input "coc Ebeddin02" in the console and then go outside, though the problem shows up on the inside of the shack walls as well.
Everything looks fine (screenshot).
For both the interior and the exterior.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
11-29-2007, 11:16 AM,

Bizarro :eek: Thanks for testing, sandor.

I have a few leads I can experiment with though. Will let you guys know if and when I find the answer Smile
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
12-02-2007, 09:32 PM,

Perhaps there is something wrong with your graphical card. I've suffered some problems too with my previous card. But it 's strange that this only occurs with models made by steve.
02-21-2008, 05:52 PM,

I had the same problem with my previous PC, buy I just forgot to mention. Not sure about the current one though. Is you card a 6000 series?
02-21-2008, 10:01 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by kingevil
I had the same problem with my previous PC, buy I just forgot to mention. Not sure about the current one though. Is you card a 6000 series?

No, it's a Radeon X850. But I read recently in another thread that my problem may be related to Oblivion shader files, and if I change them it'll probably work. It would explain both why the models look normal to others and why they look normal to me in the CS and in Nifskope but not in-game.
Angel mired in filth
03-22-2008, 02:32 PM,

The models used to look just fine for me. I just switched from an Nvidia GeForce 6800 card to a 7800. The 7800 didn't work on my computer (I don't think my system meets the power requirements for the card itself) so I went back to the 6800. Now I have the exact same problem. :eek: It might be a driver issue because I believe I'm using a different driver than the one I had before.
03-22-2008, 05:07 PM,

Yaay, I'm not alone anymore Big Grin

It could be a driver issue like you said TID - I don't know much about those things - but if so, isn't it strange that the bug would appear on both an ATI and nVidia card and also only appear on Steve's models?
Angel mired in filth
03-22-2008, 05:16 PM,

Well, the driver is the only thing that should be different from before I changed cards. It could also be the settings because Oblivion did reset those each time I tried new drivers or cards. I'll play around with the settings first.

One thing I did notice was that a lot of the textures that Steve used were without mipmaps. Confusedhrug: I might try generating some and seeing how that looks in-game.

EDIT: I found out what it was. Your texture size (Video options in Oblivion) is set to either "Medium" or "Small". Set it to "Large" and the problem will go away.

I believe the reason for this is that Oblivion can't find the smaller versions of the textures (which are stored in the mipmaps). Presumably, the way to fix that for people using Medium or Small textures would be to generate the mipmaps.
03-22-2008, 06:25 PM,

Well, it seems to work for the bottle textures, but not the woodsiding textures for some reason. Confusedhrug: I did manage to make it very shiny though. Big Grin

The screenshots show a very quick job on the textures.