Door01
Doorway01
Door02 (square door)
Doorway02
Large Door
Large Doorway
Square Tower base
Square Tower mid
Roof Tops (about 10 different pieces I think)
Square Tower base_02 (pillars)
Round Tower base
Round Tower mid
Round Tower Top
Round Tower Roof)
Round Tower Battlements(Left,mid,right)
Crossing
Crossing_end
Arrow slit
Platform_Top
Platform_Mid
Platform_Bottom
Drawbridge Bridge
Drawbridge Winch
Drawbridge Platform
Plaza_Side
Plaza_Center
Plaza_Corner 01
Plaza_Corner 02
Plaza_Mid
Foundation Top
Foundation Base

Interior:
Corner01
Corner02
Entry_01
Entry_02
Entry_03
Doorframe
Doorjam
Door
Door_Jail
Doorjam_Hidden
Door_Hidden
Stair
Spiral stair (Morrowind's spiral stair was 'twisted' clockwise, it will twist them counter-clockwise since that is historicly correct)
Spiral stair_end
Spiral star_bottom
hall_1
hall_2
4_way
3_way
pilar
endcap
wall
center
Big_4 way
Big_wall
Big_doorjam
12-05-2007, 08:17 PM,

As a guy who has done a tileset for ST, I'd like to interject something early in the process that might help all of us, producers and consumers alike. That is the "power of two" rule. Whenever possible, a modeller should keep the dimensions of his pieces to a multiple of a power of 2 (32 or 64 are both good bases) particularly where they come into contact with other pieces of the tileset.

Forcing modders to set their snap-to-grid to unusual values will make things difficult for them and could hamper acceptance of the tileset. Most dimensions of the MW tilesets (if one is using those as templates) have to be tweaked by no more than 10% to match to this rule. One note: those multiples do not have to be powers of two themselves; I've used 96 and 192 myself.

Steve
12-05-2007, 08:37 PM,

That's fine, I will just make a new model- I decided to make a new one anyway, I discovered a little mistake in my collision mesh and like you said your self, it's stupid to force people to change their snap-to-grid settings.

Edit:
Okay, I tried changing my snap-to-grid back to 64, but now my models won't snap together, and using the grid in 3ds max is totally useless.
If you have any suggestions, please post.

Edit 2:
Okay, I give up. I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't make the models snap by using that "power of two" rule.
No matter what I do, the models simply won't snap. Even tried changing my grid in 3ds max to a 32x32 grid. but still they won't fit, i also tried changing my units setup to 32x32, didn't work either. I've tried everything. the only thing that has worked so far is the models I made to begin with.

I'm completely lost on what to do, nothing works. I'm open for suggestions. HELP!
12-05-2007, 11:49 PM,

A snap-to-grid that isn't 256, 128 or 64 wouldn't really fly, so I'm glad you decided to remake it. Did you read the tileset tutorial I linked to in the old thread? It goes over the snap-to-grid concept in painstaking detail, so I really recommend checking it out and after that I'm sure it'll be clear to you. Here is a direct link. Good luck, and have fun!
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
12-06-2007, 07:20 AM,

yeah, I did read it, but it still didn't work.

oh well, I will read it again then, I must have forgot something...

edit:
ok, Razorwing, I have followed your tutorial, although I didn't texture my tilesets.
But it still doesn't work. it still looks like this:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/T...ivet-1.jpg
my snap to grid settings are set to 32, so there shouldn't be a problem. the size of the boxes are 256x256x256 and the pivot is centered right in the middle of the box (0,0,0)

the exact same problem as before...
(that screenie is from the CS by the way)

Edit 2:

okay, I've actually found some dimensions that work. 650,241x650,241x650,241

I have no idea why, but that was the size of one of the Bethesda models.
so it sorta works... I just wish it was a little easier
12-06-2007, 04:35 PM,

Sorry, I looked at the screenshot but couldn't make any sense of it. You did say that was from the CS?

A sudden thought: are you trying to tile your gate to already existing pieces or to other members of your tileset? If the former, than you'd need to import those NIFs into your 3D modelling tool (I use Max8) and note the location of the edge vertices very precisely, because the edge vertices on your piece will have to match exactly with those.

It might help if you post your WiP NIF here so we can examine it as well. It took me a while to get the feel for tiling. Smile

Steve
12-06-2007, 04:46 PM,

No, I'm not trying to tile my other pieces to the gate model.
I imported one of bethesda's interrior tile models, but it didn't help.
I also tried to set my grid settings to a 256x256 grid, but that didn't help either.
I would be glad if you could take a look at the model, I feel like such a newbie...

I will upload the max file then, although I use 3ds max 9, so I'm going to export it as an obj file.

Which site do you suggest I upload it to?

here is a rapidshare link
http://rapidshare.com/files/74724196/gat...l.obj.html

----

Are you by any chance using the grid in max to make your models, if so, what are your settings for that? maybe that will help.

Because I suspect my units setup to be completely off the hock, and maybe also the grid settings, but it would be nice if you could check it out. Because I can't even get a pair of simple boxes to snap.
12-06-2007, 05:55 PM,

In Max, I use the generic units setting, where I believe 1 unit = 1 inch in Max scale. In Oblivion (and I believe Morrowind) scale, everyone seems to use 128 Max units approximately equals 1 PC height, which works for me.

Just eyeballing your initial screenshots, it looks like your arch piece is about 3 PC heights wide by 3 PCHs (or a touch more) high. Since these pieces clearly cannot be stacked, width and depth are the only tiling dimensions we need to worry about here. I assume here that you're tiling the arch pieces to themselves as shown in your initial screenshots.

If my estimates are right, then your arch piece must be exactly 3 * 128 = 384 units wide, with the width dim extending from exactly -192 units to 192 units. Unfortunately I can't look at your piece, 'cause my modelling software is on the currently-dead computer. Sad

If I have misunderstood your problem, please let me know,
Steve
12-06-2007, 06:08 PM,

I'm afraid that didn't make much sense to me, but I believe that it's primarily my fault.

When I began working on this model I didn't really care about the unit setup. I was told that as long as the model was built around the grid in max, then it should be fine. I imported a few original Bethesda models, just to figure out the circa hight of a person in oblivion. I have no idea what my unit setup was. But the model came out pretty good. Though it's wouldn't snap using a 32 or 64, so I set it to 10. and everything worked just fine.

I believe I built it using centimeters, (you know, we have kilometers, you have miles, that sort of stuff)

But, just as a guess, I don't believe it matters if I using inches, centimeters, kilometers or something else, just as long as it looks good in the game.
12-06-2007, 06:17 PM,

Tobi,

If you could do me a favor, if you have screen-capture software, please post a pic from Max of a view of your piece from the "front" (facing the arch).

Also, just for this, go into "Units setup" and select "generic units". Then go back to your model and select the rightmost front bottom vertex according to the view above and record its XYZ coordinates and then do the same for the corresponding vertex on the left.

Ah, an idea: Can you also post the NIF itself?

Thanks,
Steve