Poll: How many languages can you speak?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
4 or more
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many languages can you speak?
06-23-2009, 10:05 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by RideWithTheWind
By reading this thread it seems that French is a very popular foreign language :bananarock:
French is a really cool language. Just wish I knew it a lot better than I do now. I learnt it for about 6 and a half years at school/college, but stopped speaking it after dropping out of the second year of A-level French.

The only language I'm fluent with is English, it being my native language. It's a good language for baffling people with. Probably why I like it so much. Wink It's a pity that a majority of people are completey unarticulate, therefore making lots of interesting words useless in conversation these days.

My German extends to: "Achtung! Meine hosenbugler ist kaput!" Not sure why that stuck after 3 years of lessons, but it did. Wink

Does music count as a language? Smile Because not many people understand me if I say something like:

"As you've moved to the sub-dominant, you could make effective use of lydian mode or a Hungarian/Romanian gypsy scale owing to the augmented fourths included in each. Don't play a sus4 chord though, it wouldn't work."

Cookies for anyone that can translate that. Smile
06-23-2009, 10:30 AM,

I can't believe that the highest number on this poll is three languages...? I mean, really, I speak 'conversational' Italian and learned French and German at school but, if I'm being honest, I only really speak English....there has to be quite a lot of 'oh, I know a few words of Arabic so I'll put that down' here.... :O
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
06-23-2009, 11:59 AM,

I had the same impression, Ibsen's Ghost. But its a well-known fact that native English speakers are less prone to learn other languages, which is quite logical since they can be understood nearly everywhere across the globe (except maybe for China, there you can spend a whole day looking for someone who speaks English, and in a very special way... Basic mandarin chinese is not so hard to learn thoug).

Since we are on an international forum here, I think the result of this poll is not so unbelievable.
07-12-2009, 10:16 AM,

My native language is french, but I study the english language.
I love speaking in english, it's a very beautiful language!
But my english isn't very good...

French is a very difficult language! ?(
Because life is simple and beautiful...
My deviantART gallery: http://www.mag1cwind0w.deviantart.com/
11-16-2009, 02:47 PM,

Russian,Greek and English fluently.A little bit Ancient Greek and I think I can understand a little Ukranian and some Greek dialects.Also Russian and Greek translit.
True tests never end. :chaos:
Join Planeshift Developers!
http://www.planeshift.it/recruitment.html
11-26-2010, 05:41 AM,

English, and Cantaneese (Spoken Commonly in Malaya)
I can understand some French and Italian.
01-08-2011, 10:39 AM,

English, German, French and obviously Dutch.

The latter is a bit rusty, I never use it nowadays, my wife is French so my main languages are French and English (mostly in writing).
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
01-08-2011, 03:00 PM,

@sandor, your english is very good. You rarely make any mistakes. In fact, if I didn't already know I would have thought you were english. Smile
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]
02-20-2011, 10:19 PM,

Ha ha
I speak two languages : English and foul.
02-21-2011, 03:28 AM,

I speak English 100% of the time, but I took two years of Spanish to meet my humanities requirements in college. The chemistry department at my university encouraged us to have two years of a foreign language, and the university let us take language courses in place of humanities courses. Since I already had two years of Spanish in high school, I went ahead and chose that as my language to learn at USI. I still don't speak Spanish very well, but I'm half decent at reading and interpreting it.