Poll: Should Vvardenfell continue?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes
0%
0 0%
no
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Vvardenfell
06-13-2008, 11:05 PM,

That doesn't sound like a creative venture, that sounds like an unpayed job with overtime. I'm sorry, but who wants to go through all the work of creating a province, only to make something that's been done before in identical fashion?
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
06-13-2008, 11:15 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
It that case, I have to agree with anyone who has ever said it is illegal. I think this has already been beaten into mash and it is why it has not been done that way since the start. The idea is great but implementation could be a mistake.
Who has said it is illegal? I am proposing a 1.5 scale version of TES3. A different beast, with all-new textures and models.
At DASsm
Quote:That doesn't sound like a creative venture, that sounds like an unpayed job with overtime. I'm sorry, but who wants to go through all the work of creating a province, only to make something that's been done before in identical fashion?
Precisely. For all of those who think it an unpaid job at Bethsoft, hopefully there will be two who say "if Bethsoft did not do it, why shouldn't we?"

If it turns out that the majority does not like this mod, it is doomed anyway. I would rather it be doomed by lack of interest than lack of leadership.
06-13-2008, 11:33 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by grumbler
Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
It that case, I have to agree with anyone who has ever said it is illegal. I think this has already been beaten into mash and it is why it has not been done that way since the start. The idea is great but implementation could be a mistake.
Who has said it is illegal? I am proposing a 1.5 scale version of TES3. A different beast, with all-new textures and models.

edit: I apologize I thought you meant all the same structures(transffering).

It's my understanding we already have that. Infact Dave_91 has already worked extensively on balmora in 1.5x. That esp is IMO is a very lucrative item and so is Dave_91.

What is wrong with the 1.5x that already exists?
06-13-2008, 11:48 PM,

Nothing is wrong with the 1.5X stuff that exists, except where it conflicts with TES3.

If someone wants to keep going head with TES4+, I will wish them god speed and fair seas and support them to the best of my limited ability.

If they are smart, though, such people would see that TES 3+ is the way to go (IMO). Every modder would know what to do. Central administration would be minimal, because every cell of interest already exists, fully-populated. All any modder need to is make it TES4-compatible. A product would be delivered in the short term.

The 1.5x wilderness in between would be filled mostly with random stuff, where it does not exist.

But until we decide where this mod is going (TES3+ or TES4+) it is silly to think anything will be done.

I think the case for TES3+ is overwhelming, but I could be convinced otherwise, and will support the consensus within my limited means.
06-14-2008, 12:10 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by grumbler
Nothing is wrong with the 1.5X stuff that exists, except where it conflicts with TES3.

If someone wants to keep going head with TES4+, I will wish them god speed and fair seas and support them to the best of my limited ability.

If they are smart, though, such people would see that TES 3+ is the way to go (IMO). Every modder would know what to do. Central administration would be minimal, because every cell of interest already exists, fully-populated. All any modder need to is make it TES4-compatible. A product would be delivered in the short term.

The 1.5x wilderness in between would be filled mostly with random stuff, where it does not exist.

But until we decide where this mod is going (TES3+ or TES4+) it is silly to think anything will be done.

I think the case for TES3+ is overwhelming, but I could be convinced otherwise, and will support the consensus within my limited means.

ok, maybe I am lacking some insight here. When I looked at Kukula's map I thought it looked pretty much like Balmora with slight expansion. If that was tes4 version then that is what I am talking about.

Only IMO I was thinking since that was where it was headed then to continue on that course. IMO the road has been mapped out already by the previous core , lightwave and Dave_91 included. An esp has been started in balmora.

If we don't continue where it was left off then it would be like starting another project which could have it own set of problems and the cycle continues again like a junky that keeps lieing to himself.

This is where I see it. A new core will have to be formed and then a final decision made by all involved by vote. Then we do it.

edit: I like and want the tes3 feel also which is presently possible IMO.
06-14-2008, 12:28 AM,

Quote: Originally posted by Zurkek, maybe I am lacking some insight here. When I looked at Kukula's map I thought it looked pretty much like Balmora with slight expansion. If that was tes4 version then that is what I am talking about.
Kuk's version of Balmora was something between the BE mod and... well, his understanding of it. I walked down the river he wanted to be, suddenly, the main artery of trade in Vvardenfell. Not that I wanted to contradict him, but why, if Balmora was a great port site, would they suddenly discover this by TES4 and not know it in TES3?

Quote: Only IMO I was thinking since that was where it was headed then to continue on that course. IMO the road has been mapped out already by the previous core, lightwave and Dave_91 included. An esp has been started in balmora..
But where has that gotten the mod? Nowhere, I would argue. Even the lamest Balmora mod-like system was not implemented.

My argument is that we know what Balmora looks like, because we played TES3. What is wrong with that Balmora, except scale?

Quote:I we don't continue where it was left off then it would be like starting another project which could have it own set of problems and the cycle continues again like a junky that keeps lieing to himself.
Not if we re-create TES3. Then, every modder knows what to do.

Quote:]This is where I see it. A new core will have to be formed and then a final decision made by all involved by vote. Then we do it.

edit: I like and want the tes3 feel also which is presently possible IMO.
I agree. I will support any decision taken, even if I disagree with it.

Edit: Bad spelling.
06-14-2008, 02:42 AM,

Saying that no work has been done in the past with an old plan does not invalidate the plan, merely the work, discuss the plan on its own merit and what you would enjoy creating. This mod does not have to be completed, and despite your arguements I can't help but feel a labor of love and an achievement of a vision, even if it involves "new discoveries since TES3" to create something new and imaginative, drawing heavily from the work done in TES3, but being something new. Everyone seems to think this is more work, but it gives you the flexibility to mke use of the resources you have and make as you see fit, rather than meeting an already created mold. I give a recreation of morrowind a 0% chance of completion, though the chances of a new vision are also slim, I see it as possible. I say stay focused on small areas and complete them as you plan to already, but do so with an imaginitive spirit, don't think "I need to complete this mod", think "I'd love to impliment these ideas in a fun and exciting way, and however much we get done will be damn imaginitive and fun for the player".

My 0.02
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
06-14-2008, 01:53 PM,

Considering the past, no I don't think it should continue. :| There is very little to no actuall modding work done, inefficient and slow leadership. There are no teasers and nothing to attract a professional, experienced and reliable modder to join for the long haul. What you have now is the result of Lightwave's tool / Morroblivion, anyone can use these tools to generate his own Vvardenfell in a few minutes. The actual modding work is lacking and even the "conceptual" part is. A lot of quality fan fiction could have been written about what happened in the last 6 years in Morrowind, but there doesn't seem to be any. Is there even a modding plan or a storyline? I'm not saying to post end-game spoilers, but you could give details out, including entire in-game books. Writing some fan fiction will help and I mean real fan fiction done by some who is talented at writing, knows the lore and won't write a boring, questionable storyline.

Unless you decide to truly commit yourself to a job of this size and have the skills to do it (a few basic skills don't count, this is not a house mod, you really need to know what you're doing) I don't see why you should continue. Perhaps time could be better spent making a much smaller finishable mods, that will generate 10000+ downloads. The problem with this mod is that it has too many "ideamen", which is hardly a skill or of any use really. I guess that's what happens when you start a mod before the game is even out. You need competent, reliable modders, talented modellers and texturers and talented storywriters (to replace the "ideamen" which often don't even know the lore). Most importantly, you need a leader who knows how to mod, is willing to mod himself and can make quick decisions. When a team spends months arguing over 1x 2x or 1.5x, I start to question the leadership's abilities. The leaders need to step in, make a final decision that nobody can question. It may upset a few people but that's what leaders are for. The mod needs to move on.

Don't recreate Morrowind though, it's not easier and it could bother Bethesda. The last thing they want is to think they're losing money because people are downloading a free copy with better graphics. Don't push them, stick to Oblivion's timeline and you should be fine.
06-14-2008, 02:58 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Kauz
Writing some fan fiction will help and I mean real fan fiction done by some who is talented at writing, knows the lore and won't write a boring, questionable storyline.

Your hired. You can start right away. As you finish something post it here. Hopefully we will be excepting new core members soon. TIA.

When a team spends months arguing over 1x 2x or 1.5x, I start to question the leadership's abilities.

That has already been decided.

Don't recreate Morrowind though, it's not easier and it could bother Bethesda. The last thing they want is to think they're losing money because people are downloading a free copy with better graphics. Don't push them, stick to Oblivion's timeline and you should be fine.

Please look here and here for information regarding layout and storylines. This is Vvardenfell, creating something unlike Vvardenfell would be pointless.

Welcome Smile.
06-14-2008, 03:25 PM,

The fact remains, a lot of time was spent discussing what to use: 1x/2x/1.5x. This should have been decided and made final a long, long time ago.

I was addressing the few people here who said to remake Morrowind, the game.