Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kwama sounds WIP
07-01-2008, 01:44 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
'Forager Foot' - I would ditch the first one and just use files 02 and 03. Could you let me know if it'd be okay to use them both so that they play randomly when required, one or the other? Or, failing that, I would choose file 03. In which case, should I cut it down a little from the total running time of 6 seconds?
One thing I forgot to mention before, foot sounds need to be between 0.5 and 1 seconds long as they are supposed to convey a single footstep, any longer that that and there would be a masive buildup of the same sounds.

For the forager foot, it would be nice if it were more like the 'squelch' of the ES3 sound.

As for randomly played sounds - I think the game randomly pulls sounds from the appropriate folder when needed, multiple foot sounds are not uncommon.
Quote:'Forager Idle' - Likewise, I could cut down file 02 so that you just have the moan or add a cut-down second file that consists purely of the squelching noise or have both options and use them randomly as mentioned above.
2-3 seconds would be good for idles so as to correspond with the animation length. Several idle sounds would be nice, but they would not be picked randomly, they would have to be tied into specific animations. This is because the animations are special idles e.g. the creature looking around.
Quote:'Queen Idle' - Should I really cut this down? I like the long version. Of course, I could always take out 1 or 2 of the 'whoop' sounds from file 02 and just use those.
We could try it with the long version (though it'll be a while yet as we don't even have a model for it). The possible problem I'm thinking of is that the sound would be far longer than the animation, which would give the possibility of it starting again before the previous one had finished.
Quote:'Warrior Attack' - I'd go for file 02. Agreed?

'Warrior Aware' - 01 (w/out echo) or 02 (with echo)?
Agreed with the attack, but could you split each growl into a seperate file - that way we get the flexibility and ease of use of shorter sound clips but the variety of the two different growls.

I'm finding it hard to pick between the aware sounds. It's unlikely the warrior will ever be encountered outside of the mine it's in, so echo would work.
Quote:'Warrior Foot' - I could cut this down to two stomps but which of the three do you like?

'Warrior Idle' - The threatening file 01 or the more subtle file 02?
I prefer the first foot sound, as mentioned earlier it needs to be one footstep per sound though it would be nice to have a few files with a little variation on each. Keep in mind that the warrior is possibly quadruped, though more likely to be bidepal, so the sounds need to be kept on the shorter size of the guildline I gave for the forager.

For the idle - I'd go for the more subtle one.
Quote:'Worker Attack' - The last two fit the worker set better because they're more cattle-like but you may want the more aggressive first one...?

'Worker Aware' - I think cutting down file 02 to just the second howl would work best. Agreed?
Agreed on both. The last two attack sounds and the second howl from aware 02.
Quote:'Worker Idle' - It's either the 'wookie-like' file 01 or the wetter sound of file 03...?

Please vote...now!
I prefer the wookie-like one the best, I'm of the opinion that idle sounds generally shouldn't be agressive unless they're for a particularly agressive creature, which the Kwama are not.

The worker foot sound needs to be a footstep, and a fairly short file (0.5 seconds) as it is quadruped and therefore has the foot sounds played quite frequently.

Sorry for not being more specific on some of these things from the start, I'm learning this as I go along. Hopefully this detailed reply will make up for that.
07-01-2008, 05:47 PM,

Thanks for that, nick_op! No problem with your advice. I just cut those files down. Can you check this out and tell me what you think?

wavs: http://files.filefront.com/Kwama+Cut+Dow...einfo.html

mp3s: http://files.filefront.com/Kwama+Cut+Dow...einfo.html
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
07-01-2008, 06:19 PM,

Forager foot 1-4 need to be made even shorter, less than a second if possible. I understand that doing so might lose some of the character of it.

Unfortunately, Oblivion speeds up the animations of smaller creatures and slows down those of larger ones. That means that the Forager is moving rediculously fast even though it's speed is set to 2. While I am going to slow down the animations, any foot sound over a second is likely to overlap with the one following it, likely leading to huge build of of sound and immense stuttering for those of us with onboard sound.

All of the rest were fantastic, just how they needed to be. :goodjob:

Also, the mp3s are unnecessary as Oblivion uses .wavs for creatures.
07-02-2008, 06:10 PM,

Okay, I tried speeding up the files but they didn't sound right so I just cut them down ruthlessly and ended up with 8 files that were all just under 1 second each (one of them is less than 0.5 seconds).

Here they are: http://files.filefront.com/Forager+Foot+...einfo.html

Let me know if you think we need a few squelchy sounds to add to what we've got here. I've just added a couple more as attachments.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]