Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepen Moor - Arrenad Cavern [Completed]
08-20-2008, 03:25 PM,

That's absolutely fine. Smile Enjoy yourself!
08-20-2008, 05:50 PM,

Have fun, earendil! Looking forward to seeing the results when you get back. :yes:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
09-17-2008, 12:39 AM,

Here is the changes I made. I opted for the kill-box scenario out of simplicity. I play tested it and it seems to work fine. I greatly appreciate the changes you made.
I don't really want any journal entries, I like the quests you find that have no documentation of it, it's like finding an easter egg Smile.
Hopefully this looks good.
10-04-2008, 04:54 AM,

I'm sorry my response comes so late, I've been really busy in RL over the last couple of weeks.

The changes are good, many thanks to sandor for looking them over. Smile The dungeon ESP will need to be merged before you start working on the quest. Which version of the ESM are you using right now?

Quest modding isn't too hard to understand. IMO, if you know how to set up dialogue, quests aren't difficult. I'll walk you through the steps after the ESP is merged.
10-04-2008, 09:18 AM,

Thanks for your hard work, earendil :goodjob: . I'm looking forward to playing through this one. It's looking quite juicy.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
10-04-2008, 05:06 PM,

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement the additional snippet of quest; some dialogue should cover it.

Thank you for your help with this, I greatly appreciate it. Big Grin
10-05-2008, 01:55 PM,

I must say you made a great cave, amongst others the lay-out is very interesting! :goodjob:
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
10-05-2008, 04:32 PM,

Thank you Big Grin
I always liked the dungeons in Morrowind that had a strange layout, and the ones that had all sorts of goodies stashed in out of the way places (such as near the ceiling in those gigantic underground Daedric ruins =) ).
10-05-2008, 08:32 PM,

Okay. Smile The latest patch is posted (thanks to sandor) so you should be able to start. Download the patch and follow the instructions to install it. Start a new ESP.

First, decide which quest you want to put the dialogue for this in. Since this won't be an actual 'quest' (with stages and quest targets), I would suggest using your existing STEDSol1110DorraVerendasTopics quest. We won't change too much in it. The easiest and simplest way to do this from here would be to create a new topic for "Ring" and to addtopic it in the GREETING line.

In the "Quest Stages" tab, create a 100 entry in the list saying "Index". We'll use this 100 'stage' to flag that the player already gave the ring back later on.
Stages are also how journal entries are handled. If you add text to the "Log Entry" list, you'll create a journal entry that the player will see when the selected stage is 'set'. That's not what we're doing, of course, but it might be interesting to know. Wink 100 is usually the final stage in a quest, with many other stages with smaller numbers leading up to it.
Go back to the "Topics" tab.

Create an INFO (dialogue lines) for the "Ring" topic. You may want to offer a give/keep choice in case the player would rather sell the ring (nasty... :brew: ), but it's up to you. If you do have a choice, there should be two more topics created, one for the Give answer and another for the Keep answer. Write INFOs for any choices you create, and then add these new 'choice' topics to the choices list on the right side of the dialogue window. When the player chooses the "Ring" topic, he/she will be presented with the two options you just created. If the choices don't show up, first make sure that the choices were added to the list, and then make sure the INFOs for those choices don't have any weird conditions that might stop them from being read as valid. Do not add these choices through addtopic.

The INFO in the "Ring" topic should only appear when the player has the ring in his inventory, so make sure there's a getItemCount condition flagged to run on the target character (the player in this case).
We also want to be sure this is only done once, so add a getStage STEDSol1110DorraVerendasTopics != 100 condition to the line. After the player gives the ring up, we'll set the stage to 100 so the condition will no longer be true, and the player can't give multiple rings away if he/she finds such a glitch. It's a good precaution. Smile

If you want to have the NPC say something more general for when the player doesn't have the ring, just add an INFO without the condition underneath the one with the condition. Because the game reads the INFOs from top to bottom, and it searches for the first where all of the conditions are true, you'll want it to come across the more important INFO with the conditions first. INFO B might be the one we want, but the conditions for INFO A might always be true, so if the game sees INFO A before it sees INFO B, we'll get INFO A because the computer saw it first.

The result scripts will be where the ring is removed from the player's inventory, and also where any rewards will be added. Do all of this for the INFO where the player gives the ring away (That would be the Give choice if you had one, otherwise the Ring topic). The syntax for removing items is
player.removeitem (objectID) (count)
where you just fill in (objectID) with the editor ID of the object you wish to remove, and (count) with the number. For adding items, it's pretty much the same idea:
player.additem (objectID) (count)
When you're done that, be sure to set the quest stage to 100.
setstage STEDSol1110DorraVerendasTopics 100

And I think that should cover everything. Let me know if you have any difficulties. Smile
10-08-2008, 07:04 PM,

Here is the ESP. I tested it and it works fine on my system. Hopefully it works good. =)