Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solfarm05 [Claimed]
03-20-2009, 11:07 AM,

Well, there are no windows, that's why I wanted to make it pretty dark inside.

As for the ambient light setting, I prefer not to have any ambient light at all. It doesn't exist in real life, why should it in a game mimicking it?

But, if you think I need to add a touch of ambient light I could.

In regards to windows, I might like to add them. If I do I will add light in the sill. But what about at night? Light can't come through windows at night, so it might seem strange...
I'll die to win, 'cuz I was born to loose.
[Image: nirvana.jpg]
03-20-2009, 11:35 AM,

You're right that there isn't ambient light in real life. That's why homes have windows Smile So personally I think it's a really good idea if you add them, and if Zurke's okay with it I think it would be nice if you added them to the exterior model too.

Quote:Originally posted by ZDawg
In regards to windows, I might like to add them. If I do I will add light in the sill. But what about at night? Light can't come through windows at night, so it might seem strange...

I think so too, that's why I made a lightbulb that gets disabled at night.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-20-2009, 11:47 AM,

Awesome!

Then I will certainly add windows with Zurke's permission.

Just wondering, does this lightbulb add an amount of ambient light in itself? I would venture to guess so, seeing as that you stated they make it seem like daylight is coming in.
03-20-2009, 12:16 PM,

Just wondering, does this lightbulb add an amount of ambient light in itself? I would venture to guess so, seeing as that you stated they make it seem like daylight is coming in.

No, ambient light can only be added in the settings for the cell. Ambient light in this case is the general light level of an interior that determines how dark it can be. It can't be darker than that setting, but it can be brighter by adding light emitters - i.e. anything from the "Light" list.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
03-20-2009, 12:20 PM,

I see. So did you want me to add both windows with lightbulbs, AND ambient light?
03-20-2009, 02:06 PM,

I see. So did you want me to add both windows with lightbulbs, AND ambient light?

Yes I think that would be best, an ambient in the 80 range would probably do the trick. You could say it emulates human night vision based on moonlight shining in from the window.
Angel mired in filth
03-20-2009, 02:11 PM,

:lol:

I'll test out the ambient light, but I'm just not sure it will give the atmosphere I'm going for.
03-20-2009, 02:52 PM,

:lol:

I'll test out the ambient light, but I'm just not sure it will give the atmosphere I'm going for.

If it's just for this interior I'm sure it's okay. Smile
Angel mired in filth
03-20-2009, 03:03 PM,

Good point. Sorry, I tend to get a bit... personal... with these things. I probably shouldn't. After all, this (the overall project) isn't my mod.

I tested out the ambient lighting at 80, but it was just too high. I halved it, and it looked surprisingly great, but I wanted to try going a bit lower. The ambient light -- in my personal opinon -- looks its best in this home at the 30-40 range. This brightens it up significantly, but it allows it to keep that darker feeling I had originally.

Thoughts?
03-20-2009, 04:06 PM,

The ambient light -- in my personal opinon -- looks its best in this home at the 30-40 range. This brightens it up significantly, but it allows it to keep that darker feeling I had originally.

Thoughts?
Welcome to the team. Smile

I usually recommend a base setting of 40-50. If you use a lot of fake lights you have to increase the number. If you're using a lot of "real" lights you have to decrease the number. It also depends on the total number of light bulbs you used.

Extra info.
Extra info 2.

I agree with Zurke, lighting is an art in itself.
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD