Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Gate
09-18-2008, 02:35 PM,
Ancient Gate
Howdy

Another Favorite of mine is the Ancient Gate

This was completely done at one point and I changed my mind but then lost the files so it has to be done again

When I first visited Silgrad their were no interiors for the gate, I did find them in an obscure file and installed them into the esp. After a careful review I discovered that the interiors did not match the exterior of the building, this of course is important

So I set on reconstructiing it

Here are some older posts about the gate, I do not know if the links will work for everyone, if they do not I am sorry...regardless the gate interiors need to be re-done

The Ancient Gate

The Ancient Gate

Ancient Gate Dome Interiors

Currently we have 4 areas of the gate completed

they are

The Hall of the Ancients
Hall of the Guardians
Tower of the Chimer
Tower of the Velothi (this includes the Tomb of Veloth the Prophet)

The areas which need to be made are the Halls which lead ot these areas, the East and West Entry and rooms for the citizens and guards who are stationed their

My understanding from previous discussion and reading about the gate... in morrowind timeframe the gate is no more then a census office

My idea based on this was to have it as a census office and museum.. the lower areas as storage and a prison

The quest Idea of course was to uncover the Tomb of Veloth and obtain his Staff and Robe

Additionally I discovered that the gate interiors had a small section that appeared to be taken over by Necromancers under the above Idea this would not fair well

So my question is How do we want to approach the Ancient Gate in purpose

I will claim the interiors (layout only) as I have allready a layout on paper from the previous build

So we need to decide on what purpose the gate will serve

Opinions please

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories
09-18-2008, 03:30 PM,

Right... so this Ancient Gate was the point through which the Dunmer crossed the mountains into Morrowind?

And that when he died Veloth wanted to be buried there?

And it was also where they later built a huge fortress to block off the pass?

And is currently the main over-land export route from the Province?

Sounds good.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
09-18-2008, 04:25 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Right... so this Ancient Gate was the point through which the Dunmer crossed the mountains into Morrowind?

This is the assumed believe

Quote: And that when he died Veloth wanted to be buried there?

The burial place of Veloth is unwritten, this is Silgrads Answer

Quote: And it was also where they later built a huge fortress to block off the pass?

Yes

Quote: And is currently the main over-land export route from the Province?

Yes

Quote: Sounds good.

Triple Yes

Good Summerization

Big Grin
Enjoy
Bob

09-18-2008, 04:35 PM,

OK. So we have an exterior, and we have some interiors, but they don't match.

As to the purpose of the Gate, I think a border checkpoint sounds like an interesting idea. You could get all sorts of traders and travellers coming through there from all over the Western half of Tamriel.

09-18-2008, 05:41 PM,

Howdy,

I don't know how much place there is, but I really like the idea of a traders' point / census office / museum combination.

Greetings,

Quentin
That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs, but what a ship is - what the Black Pearl really is - is freedom.
09-18-2008, 06:44 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Quentin Fortune
Howdy,

I don't know how much place there is, but I really like the idea of a traders' point / census office / museum combination.

Greetings,

Quentin

Howdy

Thier is plenty of room for all, the only thing we need to remove is the necromancer, this clears up an entire tower interior

When I first put the interiors together previous to the loss of the files I had made the hallways into a museum, at the entry from Morrowind (West Side) I had a reception desk. When you spoke with the Clerk she would tell you a tour was going to begin in 1 hour, the tour was basically a scripted walk one person leading and stopping at each exhibit to give a brief description and significance of the piece

For example in the first exhibit I had some pots and bowls Identified as Ancient Chimer Pottery...the tour quide would stop and Identify the piece and say " This pottery was made by what we believe are the first Chimer to enter Morrowind, some of these items may have been used by Veloth the Prophet" then on to the next exhibit etc etc

The player can travel the distance of the tour and at the end will get a journal update and an increase in intelligence by 1 pt.

The Census office was on the West Side (Skyrim) to collect trade tariffs
etc. etc.

A few rooms for Visiting Nobles were available and we also had a quest for the guard captain based on SACarrow who is on the take and has a stash hidden of loot he has taken from tax payers, it was up to the player to uncover this...that were Bjorn the Nord came into play in Ulfthred Village

And of course the indoor trading post

Thats what was planned and we are still open to do this if desired

Enjoy
Bob

09-18-2008, 09:20 PM,

It sounds really good fun. Once Ulfthred is done, let's do it!

09-20-2008, 09:29 AM,

Thats the plan

Getting the interirs done shouldn't be much of an issue

Its the quest !! as we all know

We need to recruit us someone who is adept at adding the quest

I will post the other claims as well

Enjoy
Bob

09-22-2008, 10:46 PM,

Howdy

OK so I began working the Interiors of the Gate, particular to the Main Halls

The Main halls have a west and east entry as well as a north and south

My idea is to have the East Entry (Morrowind) to be the Museum and the West Entry (Skyrim) The Census

Heres how it looks so far

Enjoy
Bob

09-23-2008, 10:38 AM,

Hi, internet is now up and running again.

This is looking very good! Presumably the doors to Skyrim will be closed, since not much of Skyrim was done for TES3?

One idea I just had could be that there was a landslide on the Skyrim side of the path, so that the player can go outside into, say, a narrow valley with levitation disabled, and the view blocked off by fallen rocks.

That way the player can at least say they've taken a few steps into Skyrim.

What do you think? A lot of the dialogue in the Great Gate and its surrounding area would of course be about the gate being blocked and how it has terrible effects on trade, why isn't the legion working faster to clear the landslide, etc.