Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarpa/Garuda Dev Thread
10-25-2008, 03:39 PM,
Sarpa/Garuda Dev Thread
I am using this thread as a basis for developing a new sound set for the 'Black Marsh' mod based upon an entirely new race - the Garuda....or, if we're sticking to the official OB lore, the Sarpa!

Using the discussion from this thread: Garuda race and other possibilities , we have come to quite a few conclusions about this race and how to implement them in the main storyline. Furthermore, TMJ has expressed an interest in working on them =) . So, seeing as I am presently getting to work on my last youtube vid, I wanted to try out a few samples before establishing the voice I plan to use.

My intention here is to base them on a Germanic-Russian voice given my assumption that birds are likely to either sing or produce guttural sounds. Well, I'm a crap singer and, although I toyed with the idea of merging a fellow female VAs wonderful singing voice with my own guttural monstrosities, I think it would be best to try my own in isolation. I would have liked to have gone for a high-pitched guttural sound to reflect a more bird-like quality. As it is, they come across more as predatory birds than purty ones sitting in the tree.

Anyway, I will post up 10 samples. There are more than this but the posting system will only allow 10 and it's not going to affect things much if I'm just a little restricted. Please bear in mind that these are VERY MUCH a WORK IN PROGRESS. But anyone familiar with my work on 'Lost Spires' will notice the similarity to the classical scholar Domitian Verus. This isn't quite the effect I'm going for but it's a starting point and, hopefully, I can adapt it from that.

Please tell me what you think....
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
10-25-2008, 04:21 PM,

IG, Did you where a bib or have to change your shirt when voicing these lines.... Seems like there could be some some extra saliva flying around... What do you use as a MIC guard.... Big Grin

Seriously... Those are very interesting... I tried a few just sitting here and coughed for like 10 seconds... My preference went toward the "soft".. I need to read up on the Garuda...

> "I would have liked to have gone for a high-pitched
> guttural sound to reflect a more bird-like quality."

Thoughts on sample?

Euther
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." George Carlin (RIP)
Voice Actors Project (VAP), TES Alliance
10-25-2008, 05:54 PM,

Hmm, that's got an interesting quality. It fibrillates a little, perhaps too much, but I kind of like that. Did you have a particular technique/piece of software?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
10-25-2008, 07:29 PM,

Really cool quality and you got the style bud!Sounds smugglerish voice.
Excellent work,really.Please,make more!
10-25-2008, 09:19 PM,

You just edited the default sounds or what did you do?
Member of -
TES IV: Black Marsh (Core Member)
10-25-2008, 10:01 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Quote:I would have liked to have gone for a high-pitched guttural sound to reflect a more bird-like quality.

Hmm, that's got an interesting quality. It fibrillates a little, perhaps too much, but I kind of like that. Did you have a particular technique/piece of software?

IG, I just took your recordings and processed them through WaveStudio and Audacity. Nothing special...

FYI: Also, I use sometimes us MAGiX...

Euther
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." George Carlin (RIP)
Voice Actors Project (VAP), TES Alliance
11-24-2008, 09:16 PM,

I've still not had much time to explore this voice a little further so that I can master the voice and decide on a definite way of doing it but there is nonetheless some good news to report:

After maintaining my contacts with the Cyrodiil Upgrade Team (C.U.T.) who are keen on creating a 'Project Argonia', I had the good fortune to bump into Lalwende, a voice actress of no small talent. She was interested in supplying the female voice for the Garuda/Sarpa and her initial samples were great (particularly considering they're just initial samples) and I've attached them here.

Moreover, when I posted back my comments I realised what I might do to get the right sort of effect, so her performance proved to be quite educating.

The first one is my favourite. Anyway, I gave Lalwende my full review so I'll just leave you guys to sample them fresh and see what you think.

@ Euther - Can you remember exactly what settings or processes you used for that file? It may be worth exploring that for myself.

@ all - Some of the C.U.T. would be interested in some sort of a merger but I would tend to think that Giskard would want total leadership privileges if his team took it on, leaving these BM forums as a subsidiary site reserved for particular claims and essential information as opposed to being the hub of all activity. For all core staff interested in this idea, please post up your thoughts in the core board. And until Deeza is granted access (I think this seems about right) then I will transfer his ideas to the board via PM. With the loss of Senten then I feel we need a shot in the arm. However, such talk may prove fruitless if Giskard chooses to punt out into the unknown with his own ship....although I think he'd be foolish to do so given what we'd have to offer.
11-25-2008, 09:42 AM,

Ibsen, please look at your PM inbox.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
12-24-2008, 04:08 PM,

I'm just looking for the last few files that will complete my fourth and final voice acting youtube video and what's missing are some decent files for the Sarpa...so I recorded a few more lines from the generic scripts. I have posted these up here and I would really appreciate people's opinions on which they think sounds best as examples, both in terms of the voice itself and the actual acting on display....bear in mind that I can only use about 15 seconds worth of audio material for this section...although I may be able to stretch that by a bit...if Lalwende gets back to me in time then I might take some of her samples as well...

However, there is a post limit on the amount of files I can attach here so I left out two short files that I would like to include. They both feature a copy of the 'Sarpa' battle-cry which simply features the word "Sar-pah". I thought that the Sarpa might actually have acquired this name simply through this recognisable war-cry of theirs from the heavens...I'll post back with these samples later once I can get past the website's flood control on the number of postings within a set time limit.
12-24-2008, 05:40 PM,

Ah they are Really amazing!

Damn,i wanna talk with the Garudas. Smile