Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Silgrad, male voice actor #2934 reporting in.
11-26-2008, 12:25 AM,
Hello Silgrad, male voice actor #2934 reporting in.
I had to do this four times, I explain why in the sound file, though. Forgive my slight irritation Cool
I can do a variety of accents which I am not fond of doing mainly due to the people who really have them, especially british people. Many brits (that I have met) go apeshit if you can't imitate one of their 600 accents perfectly and know exactly where it comes from and why it sounds like that and fff. But now I'm becoming offensive!! Anyway, listen to my voice file:
Here. I don't like it.
I never like listening to my own voice, I always notice the tiniest slur or whatever, so I spent a good amount of time trimming down whatever I didn't like from this file. I didn't even sound my best this time, but I usually do better if I have a script, though. If you have something you want me to read off, post it in this thread, and I will surely oblige.

Also, does silgrad have a vent?
11-26-2008, 07:11 PM,
RE: Hello Silgrad, male voice actor #2934 reporting in.
Hi Telltolin,

I see from your profile that you've made numerous posts already. I must have missed you somehow....love the avatar, btw....such a pretty boy!

Anyway, I really like your samples and, as you are no doubt well aware, we have a special need for Dunmer so you are most certainly welcome!

On the subject of British voices, I would generally side with those who criticise non-natives who attempt specific regional voices outside of the country of origin of the voice. As a Brit myself, I get away with generic 'national' accents by keeping them fairly watered down at times but if I attempted some regions of the US then natives would always be able to pick holes in it.

Don't worry about it though. It's a natural reaction for some people who don't realise that this is a 'fantasy' genre anyway and therefore the rules and conventions can be suspended to a degree. Even so, if you were to try our British Imperial voices then I'd have to check out your accent to make sure the generic conventions applied sufficiently.

I'm not sure about your Khajiit voice though. If you try listening to my generic voice set for Khajiit you may be able to apply the accented style I've adopted and thereby come up with a different-sounding Khajiit that nonetheless fit the basic form....this would be very welcome as I could then share the burden of Khajiit lines which can really mess with your throat at times.

If you'd like to take a look at some of my tutorials that include some tips on the existing generic Khajiit voice set that we use then click here: [Tutorial] Voice Acting Tutorials .

Anyway, SACarrow will no doubt be along soon. He is the 'VA guy' and he will be the one setting you tasks.

Welcome to Silgrad Tower! =)

Quote:Originally posted by Telltolin
Also, does silgrad have a vent?

Huh!?!
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
11-26-2008, 07:40 PM,

Ventrilo server Wink
11-26-2008, 08:22 PM,

Hi Telltolin, I had seen your post lastnight but wanted one of the voice guys to chime in first( it just seemed right Smile ). I listen to your sound file and you sounded great to me. Anyway I also want to welcome you to Silgrad Towers may your stay be long and adventurous.
11-26-2008, 11:12 PM,

The Voice Guy here. I'm in & out of town all this week, so this will be brief. I've listened to the voice and like both your Dunmer and your unaffected voice; it's naturally deep enough that I can think of a couple of possibilities.

Gotta go; back later,
Steve
11-27-2008, 02:20 AM,

I normally don't hang on the VA boards, but i must say that is a very good dunmer voice, and the Khajiit's definitely much better than you claim.

Also, you are fricken hilarious when pissed off.

Welcome to Silgrad Tower!
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
12-02-2008, 06:31 AM,

If silgrad doesn't have a ventrilo server, we could speak in mine.
208.70.251.234:3784
12-02-2008, 06:39 AM,

I have a preliminary idea if you are interested: doing the male Orc voice. That is one (like the Nords and Imperials) that we are "re-imagining" here at ST. You can check out this thread to hear the concept that Ibsen's Ghost has come up with. Let me know what you think either via PM or here on this thread.

Life gets busy again for me later this week, but sometime next week I'll check out Ventrilo and see what's up.

Thanks,
Steve
12-02-2008, 07:17 AM,

I tried recording some orc voices, even being non lazy enough to go into my voice room aka closet, and after several tries, couldn't come up with anything that met my own personal standards for stuff I do, which is disturbingly high. I would gladly try to perfect it with anyone who would come into my vent, though. I'm in there right now.
12-02-2008, 09:55 AM,

I would normally be happy to help you out Telltolin, but I'm swamped at the moment.

btw, whenever you mention your vent and your closet, I keep imagining some small animal with a face similar to your avatar that scurries around people's houses gurgling at them through the walls.... Big Grin
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]