Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voice Actor
12-16-2008, 06:04 PM,
Voice Actor
Hello everyone! I only recently discovered Silgrad Tower, but I have
been waiting for something like it. I love Oblivion, but I really miss
Morrowind. I am 21 years old, I have no experience in voice acting, but
I do in stage acting. I am a bit of a writer as well.

The following sample were made using only a cheap microphone and
even cheaper pop screen, so if there are any audio problems, I can be
a bit deaf at times, that's why. The links are to .wma files.

I came up with these by listening to the Morrowind construction
sets voice samples. I can do males of any race, I think, and monsters. I work much better with a script, but I'm open to anything.

Argonian talking about Argonians: Argonian Voice Test

Bosmer talking about Bosmer: Bosmer Voice Test

Attacking:
Dunmer Voice Test
Orc Voice Test
Nord Voice Test
Imperial Voice Test
Khajiit Voice Sample

I have some others, but nothing I think highly of. I will put up
some more specific work when I get the chance. I am at my best
when I have a character.
12-16-2008, 06:11 PM,

The Dunmer voice sounds really similiar than the vanilla one.

Good stuff
12-16-2008, 07:04 PM,

Nice accent for the Argonians :goodjob: . If you can get a more throaty effect that would enhance the effect. Of course, you could always pitch-shift the files downward and this would make the voice deeper and more appropriate.

Nice Bosmer too! Likewise, pitch-shifting it up a little might add that extra flavour but it's natural-sounding, expressive and gives you freedom to act. Therefore, nice work!

Your Dunmer is spot-on for me. That's good because you won't find more Dunmer than on this project =) .

We currently have a vacancy for the Orc voice (unless I find time I don't know I have). However, if recording this one, we would like you to go for a more traditional LOTR-based Orc voice with full growl and 'toothy' effects...it's very hard for many people to do.

Our Nords are Scottish (my own creation) but this recording sounds more Imperial than Nord...it seems to have a slight upper-class twinge to it somehow and I don't detect much of a difference between this and the Imperial voice (which I also do). I definitely wouldn't use your Nord for Nords but it's a good voice nonetheless from what I can tell here. You might benefit from checking out my own range of stuff if you're planning on contributing to these two races.

Nice Khajiit! Few people get it right. I have written up some tutorials in the voice acting section that might just help to sculpt it a little more. It's a fun one to do and worth lots of kudos if you can get it spot-on.

Overall, very good stuff indeed! I sincerely hope that we can find a place for you quickly and make the most of your skills.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
12-16-2008, 07:50 PM,

First, I am not an audio guy. No first, Welcome to Silgrad Towers!

I also liked the Argonian Smile.

Again, welcome to the forums and the mod. We hope you find your place and stay awhile. Smile
12-16-2008, 09:12 PM,

The official 'voice guy' will be along shortly. Here he comes....can you hear him? He's on his way. It's...it's....
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
12-17-2008, 11:24 PM,

This is what I gather after a few looks at these recordings.

The sound quality is ample for a cheap microphone, however the amount of breathing sounds is too much; a decent pop filter is required. I do not know if you've edited these files, though they have a low amount of noise, a lot of which is outside the audible spectrum range, which is very good. If you've used noise reduction on them it doesn't seem to have had a significant effect on the audio quality. I do not see any anomalies occurring in your files, and mastering these in particular wouldn't be too difficult a task. Definitely better than a lot of what I've worked with. One thing I'd recommend however is to either speak louder, raise the recording volume or record in 24-bit (capable hardware and software). Amplifying the volume in these files up to and above -6dB might well cause some slight audio deterioration. This is not a huge concern since the in-game files are all compressed to such a low Kbps, though it's worth mentioning.

I'm sure a closer look could reveal a tad more regarding the EQ emphasis of your mic, low/high pass, type (cardioid, hyper-cardioid etc.) and other information relevant to the mastering process.

All the best,
Xae
12-17-2008, 11:51 PM,

Ah well, I was expecting SACarrow (the voice guy) to turn up but you'd do well to take Xae's advice, zprospero. He knows his stuff.

Incidentally, I wasn't aware of the full extent of your audio talents, Xae. Nice tunes to check out in the link in your sig and I certainly appreciate the church-organ-style sounds you added to my voice there! If you fancied adding some of your stuff to ST then I'm sure we'd welcome it. earendil is currently working on something for the teaser mod (out soon) but it can't hurt to have more stuff available. PM me if you're interested.
12-18-2008, 02:52 PM,

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I was planning on purchasing a decent pop screen in a day or so, but
I'm particularly glad to hear that the mike is okay. There was no noise
reduction or any editing at all on the samples. I can't do certain voices
very loud either so some will have to be amplified.

I'm actually surprised you like the Dunmer voice, I thought it was lacking
the raspy "I've been breathing volcanic ash" quality that male Dunmer have.
I tried it again with a raspy effect, natural not electronic, the only modification I made
was to amplify it using Audacity. I may have gone too far with the effect, but I was
trying to mimic the Morrowind construction set voices as close as possible. The breath
sound is there, and it should probably be half as loud as I made it to sound right.

Dunmer Sample 1
Dunmer Sample 2
Dunmer Sample 3

I was not feeling comfortable towards any particular race, but I'll be sure
to try again on some of the others when I get a chance.
12-18-2008, 03:09 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by zprospero
I thought it was lacking
the raspy "I've been breathing volcanic ash" quality that male Dunmer have.

Haha,that was nice! Smile
12-18-2008, 07:39 PM,

I am the official Voice Guy; I've just been knocking about elsewhere. I agree with basically all of what IG said earlier, particularly about what has been done and the directions we're looking currently. I do like your raspier Dunmer and I've passed the samples on to our Dunmer guy (AndySlayer) for listening. Your tech seems pretty good; a little "poppy," but you're already aware of that, so that's cool. Smile What with the holidays and the teaser mod and such, I won't have much to add 'til the new year, but I want to let you know we're quite interested. If you're willing to stick cotton in your mouth for the Orcsies, that would be even better! :lmao:

Steve
The Voice Guy